Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my 5 month old Glover has stopped wanting his breakfast! I thought beagles ate everything at any time??

I feed him at 6pm and then between 6 and 7 am. Is this too little time between?

In the morning he gets puppy porridge wich he used to love plus half a cup of food, then I give him some bones to chew on when I leave. This he has eaten for the last 3 months he has been with me now he skips the porridge and dry food and just wants the bone.

Is he telling me he is ready to eat only once a day??

·
Registered
250 Posts
diesel did this for a bit too... i would feed him at 6:30 and then lunch time and then 6:30 again for dinner. he stopped eating breakfast for a bit. but i noticed one day (it was my day off) i left his food out and he eventually ate it all.

i know they say not to leave the food out for longer than a half hour...but as long as you are controling how much he eats a day i think its ok.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maybe he is just fed up with twice a day meal.... it is a little early but who knows.
Keep on feeding him twice a day for at least another week to see if it's just a phase of a permanent thing. Also, as dieselbabe said, don't leave his food out for more than 1/2 hour.

You'll know soon enough how many times a day to feed him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Another thought is that, if the morning food is different from the evening food, maybe he just doesn't like the a.m. food anymore -- if he still won't eat it in the next couple of days, you might want to feed him the same thing at both meals. One other thing -- you might want to hold off giving him his bones until he has eaten what is in his bowl. If he knows what is coming, he may be waiting for them!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think Maggie would eat 24 hours if allowed so I have no experience with not eating. I am always amazed when someone says their dog doesn't want to eat!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have been feeding Marley twice a day same as you, about 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. At 8 months, the bag recommended reducing the amount which I did, but still at the same times. What it may be is the porridge you are giving. Maybe he doesn't like it anymore. I agree with the post, feed what you feed him at night, in the morning as well and see what that does. Maybe his taste has changed with age.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

The thing is with glover, if I give him the food by hand he eats it... lol, I aint sitting all morning hand feeding my dog..

anyway, I came back from work this lunchtime and tried again, this time Glover ate it straight away!

I think judymaggie has a point with the bone theary... he loves those bones!

I might just give him the bones in the morning and the rest at lunch time then.

do you think that will hurt?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by GloverCharlie:
I might just give him the bones in the morning and the rest at lunch time then. do you think that will hurt?
I think this sounds like a good compromise. I would stay away from the hand feeding and reserve it only for those times that Glover is "under the weather"(hopefully, never!). Hand-feeding is almost as hard to wean away from as table scraps. During Maggie's roughest days, I do hand feed her -- the vets say that the human connection with hand feeding helps sick dogs to eat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts