Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a concern. Lucky when he is chasing the kids around has started nipping them.

The other day while the kids were playing with him I happen to walk by and he nipped or bit the back of my leg so hard I had teeth marks and a bruise.

Yesterday I was lying on the ground with my son, Lucky was jumping over us and licking our faces and all of a sudden he nipped or bit the top of my sons head. My son being young started to cry but I didn't see any marks on his head.

Is this something to be concerned about ? He is not an aggressive puppy at all and am wondering if he is just getting to carried away in his playing.

How do I stop that ?

Donna

·
Registered
291 Posts
How old is he? Since you were all playing, I'd assume he's getting overly excited and playing in a normal puppy way. When my puppy did this, we'd put him in "time out" in the bathroom until he calmed down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Casey does the same when he is excited, but mostly with pant legs when we are walking. When we are playing, he sometimes 'mouths' our hands - but he never bites. You have to remember that baby teeth are really sharp, and he doesn't really know that. We threaten him with the water spray bottle and he usually stops with the pant legs nipping, but not without barking at us to show his displeasure at cheating by using it. :evilgrin: Sounds like your pup is just plying and not realizing that he has sharp teeth. Others here will have some good advice I'm sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with Andrew. Both Milla and Luce used to do that (and sometimes Milla still does it). It's just because they play with you the same way they would do with their brothers and sisters, not realizing their baby teeth hurt us. I guess you should discourage this behaviour, and the best way for me has been distracting them with a toy. The water spray bottle is a brilliant advice, too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Lucky is playing with his new pack the same way he played with his puppy pack. Jersey used to do that all the time. Our trainer told us to cry out and "YELP" like a puppy would if it was hurt when Jersey would nip. That only made Jersey more playful. We would hold her snout and tell her no (a good firm "NO"!)and that helped some. Finally, we would just ignore her and stop playing when she would get like that. She learned that when she got too excited, we stopped playing with her and started controlling her biting. Another thing that helped was redirecting that behavior. When she would get like that we'd give her a toy to go and play with so that she learned not to play with us that way but that she could play with her toys that way. Eventually she learned to go get her toy first, then come to us when she was feeling frisky and playful.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My Lucky does not bite. When he is playing, he will mouth us but never uses his teeth. I'm not sure if your Lucky is biting by accident because he's too excited or what. Either way, I would say you need to discourage that behavior so it doesn't get worse. The spray bottle works best for us when Lucky is doing something he shouldn't. Now all I have to do is show hm the bottle and he stops.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Not to sound like Dr. Doom but...

In today's world you need to be very careful about biting or nipping, especially with children. If it happens to a stranger's child and they are not understanding, the consequences could be dire. Many places could have the dog quarantined and/or PTS.

Training this behavior out is a must. Keep working on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts