Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in college and have a puppy, Bruno, who is actually a beabull. I have attached a picture from a couple of months ago he is much bigger now! Anyways, he is so well socialized because friends are always around and roommates which is great for him. He loves and wants to be friends with anyone he sees! Anyways, the issue I'm having is at 6 months he still is nipping while playing. It has gotten better (not breaking skin and inhibiting his bite a decent amount) but it is INCREDIBLY difficult to be consistent with different people alway in and out (friends, roommates, roommates friends etc). I am worried that although he doesn't nip at me so much he will be conditioned to still try it on other people to see if they will punish him by leaving the room. He likes to test everyone and it is difficult to ask guests to always get up and leave the room if he nips. Has anyone else had this situation where they can't get over the hump due to consistency and what have you done about it? Also, I will be out of college in 2 months and it will just be me and him. Will it still be possible to change his behavior towards other people seeing as I will be living on my own and other people will not be around as much? I know dogs have trouble generalizing so I'm a bit worried. Anyways, sorry this was so long winded thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
First off, let me say welcome to you and Bruno! He's absolutely adorable and that name fits him perfectly!

About the nipping, I wouldn't be too concerned, as he's still only a young pup. Once all his baby teeth fall out and his permanent teeth come in, you'll see a lot less nipping. Just be consistant when you can, and I'm sure he'll eventually get it. Paience and consistancy go a really long way with these little guys!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We've always just wrapped our hands around their snout to gently hold their mouth closed and give a firm NO. Probably a lot easier to have your guests do that rather than getting up and leaving the room.

A puppy goes through the most crucial time for socialization between 3 and 12 weeks of age. You are currently forming the dog that Bruno will become. The older he gets the more calm he will become and probably won't miss all the constant activity around. I can't really say about mixes, but I know that our beagles are just as happy with one of us than many, but of course that one has to be willing to cater to them. lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
i can never make my voice do it, but try making a yelping noise (as if you were a dog as well... fun) as soon as he nips you. He'll know exactly what that sound means and hopefully realize that he's hurting you and not playing properlly.

Holding his mouth closed is another good idea. My vet showed us how to do it. Hold his mouth closed, and say no, but keep it closed for a bit and hold him down... even if he tries to cry (you're not hurting him). This will help show him that you're in charge and he can't boss you and your guests around by biting them.

Or hold his mouth shut and slap your hand. It will startle him and he might yelp, but only because he is startled, because once again, you're obviously not hurting the guy.

Good luck with it all and make sure to keep us all updated!! He is quite the handsome fellow.

I'll be crossing my fingers for the both of us.. Zelda is almost a year old and still bites when she gets hyper.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What's a 'beabull'?

At six months he definitely should not be nipping anymore. Sometimes when you ignore the behaviour you see what trainers call an extinction burst, that is the dog will keep trying harder and harder with their learned behaviour before giving up - so in a dog that nips, they will bite harder and more frequently before giving up.

I always found it was useful to teach what item is ok for them to grab. Try getting a tug toy that is ONLY for playing tug with. He sounds like he has a bit of pent up energy, so use that to your advantage. Encourage him to grab and tug with you - on your terms only. Initiate the tug game by giving a command work (i.e. ready to play?) and ensure you teach him the 'give' command too. This might give him an outlet for his energy!

·
Registered
889 Posts
A Beabull is a beagle crossed with a bulldog I believe.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Cute little guy, I love the belly
and I agree with Chloe's Mommy, looks like a pitbull crossed to me

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have consistency issues as well, but I am a lot meaner. I went through a lot to get Cassidy, so I even told my friends and family, if you cannot uphold the training that I am putting on Cassidy, then I am afraid you cannot play with her. It is very important to me that everyone disciplines her in the same way. I had to train my fiance how to train Cassidy, so he was giving consistency when I was not home.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Beagle and bulldog? That has got to be one strong-willed pup. He's a cutie, and I like that bit of brindling in his brown fur. Hopefully the advice here will work out great for you. My Spock was very nippy when he was young, but he grew out of it when he got his adult teeth and with some consistent yelping ow! and ignoring by my boyfriend, who was the one Spock liked to chew on best. It was interesting to see the shoe on the other foot for Spock when we adopted Bones, who was not quite 6 months old and still had some sharp baby teeth when she and Spock began holding their wrestling matches in the living room.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally Posted By: EveBeagle and bulldog? That has got to be one strong-willed pup. He's a cutie, and I like that bit of brindling in his brown fur. Hopefully the advice here will work out great for you. My Spock was very nippy when he was young, but he grew out of it when he got his adult teeth and with some consistent yelping ow! and ignoring by my boyfriend, who was the one Spock liked to chew on best. It was interesting to see the shoe on the other foot for Spock when we adopted Bones, who was not quite 6 months old and still had some sharp baby teeth when she and Spock began holding their wrestling matches in the living room.
Strong willed is an understatement! He is incredibly smart and stubborn so I am still working on getting past that. When my girlfriend called the trainer she uses for her dogs to ask some questions, he answered them then said beagle-bulldog...good luck haaha. Yea, its tough to see the bulldog from that picture but when you see his big paws and big butt, you can tell. Most people guess boxer. Anyways, I'll just keep at it and im sure he will get better as time progresses. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
959 Posts
OUr Casie will do the same thing, but it is me that he nips, in the under part of my arm. He does chew on Cobi, but Cobi takes care of that. I take his snout, which was mentioned, and say NO very firmly, sometimes if it's a harder bite, I'll say NO BITE....an usually once is enough. All of our guys grew out of it, sometimes it's their adult teeth bugging them, and others it's a play or wanting to show dominence....but it still hurts, and I won't allow it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts