Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just got a beagle puppy last week. Her name is Mia. She is 3 months old. I been trying to teach her well. She keeps biting and nipping at me and my wife and latches on to my shorts i have tried the growling and the barking and she comes back again. I have also tried the redirecting to toys. Any help would be appreciated. Only plus is when i out her in her crate she whines a bit and settles down.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Lol..Im a puppy survivor so here's the advice:
Welcome to the forum.
Puppy biting and nipping is NOT aggression..its just a puppy stage and will pass in a couple of months. Read up on puppies but here's what you can start to do..
Do not play rough house and get your dog overly excited..this will start biting. Do not sit on the floor and play with the dog..again starts biting. Keep your dog in a restricted area..too much freedom gets your dog overly excited. Cup your hands with dog food and let your dog eat out of your hands..your dog wont bite then and it helps with bonding. Dont yell or spank your dog which will make things worse. Give your dog frequent naps in a crate since when tired they get nippy. Again this is frustrating for you but it will pass.
My dog was a biter too..heres my dog's picture. Shes calm and sweet. Stay on the forum for advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you i been reading different threads and though mine was a little worse. We live in an apartment so i try not to crate her when she does bad. I do sit on the floor with her though.....im going to have to buy dividers for the apartment to limit her access.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Dont think of a crate as a place for being bad. If you crate the dog for mischief your dog wont like the crate in the long term. My dog stll loves her crate and goes in it on her own even at night without me closing the door.
Definitely get pen barriers or baby gates to block off areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your dog looks adorable. I always place her in the crate and give her treats so she doesn't think it is a punishment (that is what i am hoping she takes away anyways). Every time i place her in the crate she whines a bit then settles down, i am hoping that eventually it will stop, we have had her for a week now. She also has been biting the pee pads and chew on them and tries to remove them when i set them up in her crate. I leave her biting them so that she doesn't think that if i take her out after that she will get to go out.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Can you take the dog out to a balcony or patio to pee /poop? In the beginning i tried the pads and my dog just wanted to rip them up. In the long run it delays potty training outside. Take the dog out on a leash and say.. go peepee..or such... i say that for both and my dog totally understands what i mean. Get a training clicker at a petstore...great cheap training tool. Watch YouTube videos on how to use one. Use it to give a "sound reward" for going potty outside or doing anything good like going in the crate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh wow, had not thought of that. Will get one right away and watch some videos on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On another note, anybody know whats considered too cold for the temperature inside the apartment ?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Hmmm..i guess if you're too cold the dog might be as well. These dogs like to bury under blankets or towels. Since your dog is a puppy use a couple of old towels in the crate so it can crawl under. My dog loves getting under blankets as you can see in the picture i already posted. In fact she crawls inside a pillow case i meant to keep the dog bed clean...lol
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1 - 10 of 10 Posts