Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. I think I posted about this in my intro but is it typical of the beagle to nip nip and nip?! We went with the Beagle for their loving nature, etc. Marley has that side, however, there's no telling when he will let you see it. When he has energy he is somewhat domineering. Like he will run room to room, bump into the couch, then pounce on me real hard, and of course I get scratched up. Then if I reach for his collar or say sit sit sit, he grabs my hand with his mouth and bites down. I am tired of the nipping and him trying to overpower me.

Now to the tuck piece of this. Will getting him neutered help?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Zeus nips (not hard), we are working hard at not letting him but he still has this behavior...

He is also neutered; I have to say that having him neutered did not change one single thing about his personality. Lots of people say it will but we did not see ONE change. He was neutered at 8 months.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well this is one canine trick you need to "nip" in the bud, so to speak. There two ways to stop dear Marley, issue a loud protest (OUCH) when he nips, and walk away!

If when you reach for his collar and he attempts to put your hand in his mouth, this is a perfect opportunity to an introduction to "Bite Inhibition."

Bite Inhibition is offering a thumb and cupping his muzzle with the rest of hand, as he bites, you squeeze causung him discomfort (Don't squeeze so hard as to cause pain) but if he bits harder, squeeze harder, as he stops or reduces his biting, reduce the amount of squeezing. He'll get the message in no time.

This is a behavior that needs to be stopped sooner rather than later.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Neutering can help a few things, biting is not one of them.

This is a training issue and as the others have said, you MUST get it under control. In most US states, if a dog bites (including nips for play) and a complaint is filed with the authorities, the dog can/will be quarantined (at your expense) and if deemed aggressive, put down.

Try the above suggestions, use a spray bottle with water, a shaker can, yell NO, etc. But do teach him to stop, for his own sake and yours.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all. This is really a huge concern for us. We are having a trainer come out to the house to assess the behavior and tell us what to do from there. We have tried the No!, the spray, this neck thing the Vet said to do, etc. He is just very dominate and we are uncomfortable with it. Like you said, concerned with him nipping someone else. We are not afraid of him, so we get right in there with him but I just do not want to have to endure this long. It's not a pleasurable experience. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by bob:

Bite Inhibition is offering a thumb and cupping his muzzle with the rest of hand, as he bites, you squeeze causung him discomfort (Don't squeeze so hard as to cause pain) but if he bits harder, squeeze harder, as he stops or reduces his biting, reduce the amount of squeezing. He'll get the message in no time.

This is a behavior that needs to be stopped sooner rather than later.
This is great info we are going to start this as of now with Zeus! I will let you know how its going in a few days!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts