Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I recently became a forever home for a beautiful 3 year old male research rescue Beagle…he has been with us now going into our 4th week ,he has made tremendous strides . He seems to be trusting us more every day.. he has had a few fairly minor health issues and does not do well with car rides to the vet.
I work with him several times a day ( I am home all day ) trying to get him to take a treat he has absolutely no interest in any dog or human. Looking for suggestions TIA

· Super Moderator
5,400 Posts
Thank you so much for rescuing him. From what I understand, those beagles were raised strictly for research and did not receive human contact, treats or anything a normal dog should. Even my shelter rescues took probably a good 6 months to really settle in and feel like family. One of my beagles was a hunting dog prior to going to the shelter so she was like a wild child until she realized she can play with toys, have snacks, have a comfy bed etc. It just takes time but he will come around.

· Registered
6,535 Posts
So wonderful you've adopted this beagle..
Beagles seem to take longer to get everything so your dog may just need time to adjust to your home and everything afforded to him. Patience will be key..and see what works and what doesnt. Im going to predict that in time your dog will adjust to his new life.
Now that said...please post progress reports and lots of pictures..
Cassie is 10.7 yrs and says Welcome to your handsome boy..
Head Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for rescuing him. From what I understand, those beagles were raised strictly for research and did not receive human contact, treats or anything a normal dog should. Even my shelter rescues took probably a good 6 months to really settle in and feel like family. One of my beagles was a hunting dog prior to going to the shelter so she was like a wild child until she realized she can play with toys, have snacks, have a comfy bed etc. It just takes time but he will come around.

· Registered
6,535 Posts
Cassie here...would Lenny like an older girlfriend? Lol.

Training is key..use the same words to train..you said he's not so interested in treats..get a Clicker at the petstore or on line..the sound of the click is the reward..watch YouTube videos on how to use one.. here is my clicker but others may look a little different. It is a great training tool.
Body jewelry Rectangle Material property Font Magenta

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cassie here...would Lenny like an older girlfriend? Lol.

Training is key..use the same words to train..you said he's not so interested in treats..get a Clicker at the petstore or on line..the sound of the click is the reward..watch YouTube videos on how to use one.. here is my clicker but others may look a little different. It is a great training tool.
View attachment 42744
View attachment 42745
Aw what a sweet heart ♥ Today Lenny met a new friend while out on a walk .. Her name is Annabell and she is a Jack Russell mix a cute little thing.. but poor Lenny was shaking in his shoes .. he was afraid to sniff her at first then he gave in with encouragement from mom.. which went well until little ole Annabella tried to impress him with her jumping and twirling! He wanted no part of that and hid behind mom begging to leave.. :( my poor pup .. man’s so called best friend… well he’s our friend now and we are going to do what ever we can to help him be a happy healthy very loved dog! I love the clicker idea and just ordered one off Amazon., thanks for the help it is much appreciated!

· Registered
6,535 Posts
Dont be concerned about that reaction to the other dog..good that Lenny wasn't the aggressor.. cassie never liked other dogs that were overly active at a dog park..she would find some human to run to for safety.. Im not taking her to dog parks anymore.. one of the reasons is that lately we've had a lot of coyote sightings.

· Registered
192 Posts
Congratulations on your new boy - he is so handsome (I see Cassie expressed her interest in Lenny already, Cassie is a beauty). I just learned I am approved to adopt - our preference is a female puppy. Our local rescue took in 3 litters and believe they may be taking in a few more and our rescue matches puppies to homes much like a purebred breeder would to try to get the best fit to expectations.

Is he your first beagle?

One of my rescue pals told me about this on Facebook
Envigo Beagle Survivors - Foster and Adopter Group

It's a public group, just search for it. Everyone is sharing experiences, thus far. I've only been reading the posts since I don't have a beagle yet, but everyone seems very helpful and also are trying to establish relationships for future meet ups etc.

Also, Beagle Freedom Project has some materials on their website about adopting the beagles. If I find more info, I'll post it.

Editing to add: I love the photo of you three! I'm sure it was mentioned to you that these beagles are a flight risk as they don't know how to dog yet and as scent hounds, they may try to squirm out of collars so it's been suggested to get a harness as well for walking (if you don't have one already. Apologies if you're seasoned at this! I'm still in a state of high excitement from learning of our approval.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations on your new boy - he is so handsome (I see Cassie expressed her interest in Lenny already, Cassie is a beauty). I just learned I am approved to adopt - our preference is a female puppy. Our local rescue took in 3 litters and believe they may be taking in a few more and our rescue matches puppies to homes much like a purebred breeder would to try to get the best fit to expectations.

Is he your first beagle?

One of my rescue pals told me about this on Facebook
Envigo Beagle Survivors - Foster and Adopter Group

It's a public group, just search for it. Everyone is sharing experiences, thus far. I've only been reading the posts since I don't have a beagle yet, but everyone seems very helpful and also are trying to establish relationships for future meet ups etc.

Also, Beagle Freedom Project has some materials on their website about adopting the beagles. If I find more info, I'll post it.

Editing to add: I love the photo of you three! I'm sure it was mentioned to you that these beagles are a flight risk as they don't know how to dog yet and as scent hounds, they may try to squirm out of collars so it's been suggested to get a harness as well for walking (if you don't have one already. Apologies if you're seasoned at this! I'm still in a state of high excitement from learning of our approval.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aw thank you and congrats on your up and coming pup.. yes this is my first Beagle and my/ our first research rescue. Lenny has been with us now for 4 weeks he has come a long way this far but has lots more hurtles to over come .. slow small steps ! The photo was taken at our cabin in way northern Minnesota , we were not sure how Lenny would react to the new big sights and sounds of the forest .. but as you can see by the photos he loved it. Our Bassador we lost in April of this year absolutely enjoyed being at the cabin so we are happy that Lenny seems to as well. He was a trooper ♥
lenny also has an AirTag attached to his collar just in case.
Plant Dog Dog breed Carnivore Toy

Jeans Water Dog Sky Cloud

Plant Dog Working animal Dog breed Collar

Dog Plant Dog breed Collar Carnivore

Plant Plant community Leaf People in nature Natural environment

1 - 12 of 12 Posts