Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a 2.3 year old beagle a month ago. He's a very sweet dog, but in the evenings he is hyper and has SO much energy. We walk him for 40 minutes in the morning, and for an hour in the evening. We come back and play with him to burn out his energy. He's physically tired but he's still hyper. He starts biting us or wanting us to play with him. So we do a bit of training, and then setup a game of sniff and then give him a kong. This keeps him occupied, but onces he's done he get chewy again. Till he finally goes to sleep. We're in the process of getting the biting under control, but how is the amount of energy he has in the evening normal? Will it settle down?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Wow i dont understand the biting issue at 2+ years old. That should have stopped at about 5 months. Get your dog into an obedience training class. Get with a good trainer. You also need time to do training. And reinforce and repeat what the trainer does. Talk to your dog a lot. Walking is great but the mental activities are just as important to make them tired. Im a big believer in using a clicker which gets their attention and is a sound-reward for following commands . Dont yell or spank for biting but say...NO BITING! Feed your dog by cupping the food in your hands... like the saying goes..."dont bite the hand that feeds you"... praise for not biting and click the clicker. You can get a clicker at the petstore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! That's useful. We are trying different methods. How long did it take for you to train your 2 year old not to bite? I think ours might be hyper becauuse he was in a puppy crate for a month before coming to us. So maybe he's not used to being free all the time? Not sure. Hopefully the hyperness comes down. The main issue with the hyperness is that it's accompanied by the biting.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I would say that biting generally follows the hyper behavior. But its behavior found in puppies not 2 year olds. For now try to keep your dog in a calm state by not doing "rough housing". Have you gotten the dog into an obedience class?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I agree with Cassie, hyper=biting. Can you teach a place command, that when he's hyper he goes there and settles down? (Maybe with a favourite toy)

We taught Agis a 'gentle' command, so when he gets hyper, rather than bite, he licks us.

Reactions: Mylos mum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, we've started getting a canine trainer home and that's been helping quite a lot.
I would say that biting generally follows the hyper behavior. But its behavior found in puppies not 2 year olds. For now try to keep your dog in a calm state by not doing "rough housing". Have you gotten the dog into an obedience class?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
What are your feeding times? My dog eats early..6:30 am and 2:00pm. Then I discovered that a little food later like a snack makes my dog tired and she goes to sleep.. im really not over feeding since I balance the amount out so the later food seems to get her relaxed. So basically the "hyperness" could be due to some hunger.. give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts