Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I beagle lovers have just adopted a year and a half old beagle named bleu but my boys have changed his name to Phil hope it works out seems like a great dog. He came from a home where he was allowed to roam and didn't get a lot of attention which he is getting lots with his new family any suggestions on how to stop his roaming ways,

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi, and welcome to BW.
Thank you for taking in Phil Hope. We would love to see pictures.

You didn't say a lot about him, but the fact that he used to roam his previous home. How about you confine him at start, and not let him wonder free in the house. When he is used to the family, gradually let him go into the bedrooms freely. You can let him do that anyway, but don't let him be alone roaming the house. Good luck with him :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Welcome and that's great that you adopted a beagle. By roaming, did you mean indoors or outdoors?

I can't want to see pics of him as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to the board,Rick. :wave: :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome to you and Phil. Beagles do tend to roam and follow their nose wherever an interesting scent leads them. My beagle, Maggie, is always in a fenced yard or on a leash.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts

In short...the answer to your question is love, time and training. Keep in mind though that beagles looooove to roam, it's in their blood. It's not something that can be completely trained out of them. Offer Phil safe places to roam, like a dog park or a fenced in backyard and he'll have his out without you having to worry :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. Great that you have taken phil in. Please never let hom roam outside a safe area, always take him outside on a leash. Too many beagles get killed on the roads because they follow their noses rather than their eyes or ears.
You can allow him to roam the house, if hes house trained and a safe garden (back yard).
Good luck

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World, and thank you for adopting Phil. :wave: If it's feasible, a good fence will be a big help with the roaming problem.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome Rick and Phil to BW :wave: Hope you enjoy being with us. Also hope to see pictures soon!

Yes, Beagles are roamers. Bred to hunt, they follow their noses and completely forget about most everything else when they find an interesting scent.

I highly recommend a fenced in yard or a fenced play area for Phil -- this behavior will not change. They also are bred to be independent thinkers in order to find their pray.

Otherwise, Beags are a joy to live with (in between wanting food or anything vaguely resembleing food ALL the time). They are loving and playful, love kids, people and other dogs. A lot of them love to cuddle with you.

Again, welcome from Daisy and me!!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
If Phil is well housetrained roaming indoors is really no big deal unless there are rooms you do not want him in. But roaming outside can be a BIG issue. Beagles tend to roam pretty close to home UNTIL that one scent that makes them follow their nose for miles. A good fenched in area is best answer for this and remember beagles are good escape artists when following a sent so make sure fenched is pretty secure.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Rick :wave: Welcome to Beagle World and a big welcome arrrooo to Phil. I don't know enough about what hazards are around your place so I can't advise but most of us have roads and other hazards that prevent us from allowing our critters to roam free. I have coyotes, cougars and such threats as well as nearby roads so my rescue stays on a leash except his backyard, the house and trips to the dog park.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcme to you and Phil. Great name!

Our Henry was an adult rescue and we already have an invisible fence. (alot of people don't like those). But Henry trained right away to it. Just the noise it makes has kept him well within it's boundaries.

But poor Henry...he's so chubby, if he ever did try to make a break for it, he wouldn't get very far very fast. Seriously he's shown no interst in wandering...we live in a wooded area.

I guess the answer to your question regarding preventing him from wandering is the ones you've gotten...a good fence.

Good luck.

~Denise

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm so late - but a big welcome arroooo to you and Phil from another British Columbian beagle-lover! We live in downtown Vancouver so roaming isn't really in the cards for our gang of three rescue beagles... hope things are going well with Phil and he is settling into his new home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts