Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my name is Vinh. I current don't have a beagle, but in the process of doing my "homework". I have a few questions/opinion for you beagle experts. First of...I'm in the mist of talking to a breeder I found from akc.org. His name is James Dansby (he's from Roy, Wa and I'm from seattle). Anyhow I was trying to elude the parents pedigree infomation from him and this is what I get.
"My male is approximately 5.5 years old; female 3.5 I believe (I do have their registrations with that info so will double check). This is her
second litter - first time she had 10 healthy pups; this time 11. Both are tri-color, outside dogs. Very friendly with people; get along well
with other dogs, but male loves to be boss and eat first. Neither bark a lot."

I then I asked him specificly what's his dogs pedigree is and the response is:
"We have the paperwork on the parents, but don't know any personal typeinfo"

Anyhow, hes seem like a really really nice guy based on the internet respones to my multiple questions and concerns. He also sent me photos.
Father:

Mother:

Few pup pics:

My other questions are: from the pictures, could you guys elude a pedigree? Or any info you guys can get from the pictures? A general beagle question, like the mother, does some beagle have the longer nose? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Vinh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry heres the picture. And I apologize for my grammer and spelling mistakes; I was in a rush.
Father:

Mother:

Few pup pictures:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
:wave: WELCOME TO THE SITE!

If he says he has the papers on the parents feel free to request to see them before you purchase your pup. Also, ask if you (or he) can register your pup with the AKC and don't hesitate to ask for references.

As for the longer nose...as the owner of a slightly longer, red & white ("unique" color for beag), AKC registered beag I can say that a beagle can still be a purebred even though they look slightly "different" than the show beagles people are accustomed to seeing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you BeagleBabe, I have been scouting this site out for awhile now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Heres a clip from one of our emails:
"Upon purchase, you will receive healthy pup, puppy registration papers from AKC,documentation regarding shots, worming, and feed info used to date. I've never yet sold an unhealthy pup and have had them go for as much as $1000 at auctions."

I plan to go down and see the pups and parents for myself before purchase. What should I expect to see on the registration?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Most reputable breeders don't sell their pups at auctions. I would definitely visit and try to get more information before you purchase a pup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jassy, I'm definitely visiting them before purchase. However, my field experience isn't that great so...I'll continue researching on beagle phenotypes before I see him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone, heres an update. So I visited the family farm and only the children were there to so me around. I saw a couple of questionable things and I need your input:
1) Three males were kept in a two large fenced kennels with dog house; which might be linked to the barn but I couldn't tell. However, the area the kennel was muddy and seem unsanitary (Mud and dirty, didn't see poop or anything like that). It did rain these past couple of days though...

2) The female and puppies where kept in the barn under a warming light. The ground was cover with wood chips, again didn't see poop.

3) My last concern: on some of the puppies' neck, there was one 50 cent coin size rash like under the fur. It was circular in sample too! I asked the kids and they told me it was probably dirt...Umm...Is it dirt or some kind of worms or, rash? Sorry I don't have photos.

So based on the living conditions of the dogs I have mentioned, does it seems reasonable? Based on my standard it seems sub-par, but that's just me though. Oh, I didn't see any food tray lying around (I assume they have a feedings schedule). BTW, the kids didn't know where their parents kept the parents AKC regist papers. What about that rash like thing? Any input will be greatly appreciated it and I apoligize for the long post. Thank you, Vinh.

G

·
0 Posts
Well the living situation to me sounds fair seeing that they are outside (their not living in feces so I don't see how it's unsanitary, but I can see how you can get that idea because of the mud). The rash is questionable and very well could be dirt from where they were playing around biting and slobbering each other and maybe some dirt got on the wet spot and made a dirt like spot appearing to be a rash? Still questionable I would ask the owner. I doubt if it's some sort of worms though.

Ask the owner for the papers. Ummm I think that was it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The round patch that is "missing" on the puppies necks could be ringworms. See the link here:
http://lowchensaustralia.com/health/skin.htm

I think you should definitely speak to the breeders, ask to see the papers, ask more questions (anything that bothers you), spend time watching the puppies. Ask the breeder about "puppy return policy" in case that in the first vet visit (should be within 3-4 days from when you take the puppy) anything comes up and you want a different puppy (although, I can't see myself personally giving back a puppy....).

How many litters did they have, looks like plenty of puppies for one litter..... :conf6:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was 11 pups in the litter.

The owner stated he will be giving them their "shots and worming" tomorrow...Yea, I agree with you Chloe's Mommy, I think the dorsal circular patch on the neck are ring worms... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I have to talk to this guy about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Chase's Mommy for you input, it didn't seem that bad but I didn't know what the "standards" are for breeders.

G

·
0 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Vinh:
Thanks Chase's Mommy for you input, it didn't seem that bad but I didn't know what the "standards" are for breeders.
You're very welcome...

Yea, it's better than Chase's living "standards" :eyes: even though we met the breeder half way I could tell once getting Chase home what type of living environment he was in. The breeder is a hunter and he lived outside he was full of ticks and fleas and we got him with worms. She lied to us saying she would mail us his papers and I believed her (my own fault) we never received them.

But I'm glad we could provide a much better home for him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Again good luck and I wish you the best keep us posted!

G

·
0 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Vinh:
There was 11 pups in the litter.

The owner stated he will be giving them their "shots and worming" tomorrow...Yea, I agree with you Chloe's Mommy, I think the dorsal circular patch on the neck are ring worms... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I have to talk to this guy about it.
Was it dry and the hair was missing? If so it definitely is ring worms...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have the dogs seen a vet? I see that they've gotten shots, but some people take care of that on their own.

When's the earliest he'll let you pick one up? Letting you take a puppy before 8 weeks is a bad sign.

I agree that you should ask about a written return policy, and take the puppy to the vet within a day or so of picking it up.

A good sign about a breeder is that they'll want to get information about you. Things like your family make up, what your plans for the animal are, what you'll do with him while you're at work etc. Does he keep track of what happens to his puppies after they're sold, so he can be aware if a genetic illness pops up later on in life?

Does he keep buyer contact information from people who can give him a reference? If so, see if you can contact someone who owns one of the pups from that first litter.

Were the dogs clean, and were their eyes clear and clean? What about their teeth (in the case of the parents). Were the other animals friendly and curious? Did they have fresh water?

This has gotten long, so I'll stop here.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Vinh,

First, welcome to BW.

Next, you need to ask yourself "Why do I want a AKC registered beagle pup?"

Do you plan on breeding him/her? If so, are you prepared to handle the costs and care involved in such an undertaking? If not, is the pup just for companionship? You also need to ask yourself, am I prepared to raise a puppy?

If breeding is your aim, the I suggest to do a lot of homework on the breeder you choose. Ask for names and phone numbers of other people he has sold to. If he refuses, look elsewhere because that means he does not follow up with the buyers of his pups. Don't be afraid to look around for other breeders. Keep in mind, most puppies find homes.

If this pup is going to be a family member, then an AKC papered beagle is not necessary. You can always rescue a beagle pup or older beagle from a local shelter or pound. They need homes too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We didn't do our homework when we got Scout. We had no idea how old the pup needed to be, what to look for in the "breeder" and all that. I did get to meet the mother, but the father wasn't there. Also the living conditions weren't too bad, but she was too young to be sold (not that we paid very much). But now she is in a loving home and the only major problem we have with her is that she has too much energy. When we got her she did have some fleas and got a tapeworm but both were treatable.

G

·
0 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Drew:
We didn't do our homework when we got Scout. We had no idea how old the pup needed to be, what to look for in the "breeder" and all that. I did get to meet the mother, but the father wasn't there. Also the living conditions weren't too bad, but she was too young to be sold (not that we paid very much). But now she is in a loving home and the only major problem we have with her is that she has too much energy. When we got her she did have some fleas and got a tapeworm but both were treatable.
Yea, Chase had tape worms... Fleas and ticks. We got chase at 7 1/2 weeks his mother stopped feeding him at 4 weeks so the breeder took over. When we got Chase he was a bit small... honestly he still is a bit small. I think maybe he was the runt of the litter. Just glad we could give him a much better home.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I agree with MD. Why not a rescue? If however, you are determined to get one of those pups, then ask about which vet saw them etc. Contact that vet maybe. A few visits would make sense, to see how happy the dogs are. Also contacting other past buyers would be good. If the breeder refuses to give you names, then he has something to hide. Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We got Scout at 5 weeks. I have heard it all about how its too young to get a puppy. I know that now, and its a moot point. Anyway the "breeder" tried to sell us some 10 and 12 week puppies, because "they had more money in them" meaning they had more shots. Of course he did the shots himself so who knows? Also they were in a caged thing off the ground, and they were crazy, jumping around a lot. We love our puppy and even though she missed out on some socialization (she stills has some biting/mouthing issues), she has potty trained very well. Also the woman at daycare says she gets along well with big and little dogs and plays hard all day.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Lol, we had the opposite experience with Duke. His breeder had the pups inside the kitchen of the house and hand fed them people food all the time. So when we brought him home and had him potty outside, it was a foreign concept to him, since he was used to going inside on piddle pads!

I think part of your research should also include what the going rate is in your area. If you aren't planning to breed and don't need an AKC, that's fine, but you do want to make sure that you don't pay an AKC price for a non-AKC pup.

Do make sure you can get a full refund if any health problems are discovered and get the pup to the vet right away! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts