Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - came across this fab forum and hoping to pick up lots of tips. We are new Beagle owners of Henry & Herbie nearly 10wks old, i will add pics when i work out how to add them. We did lots of research prior to purchase but have come accross lots of new stuff about not having 2 Beagles from the same litter together, we are worried, they are starting to become more aggressive towards each other when playing, they love to sleep together and do eat together, am hoping we have made the right descision, any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
First and foremost, welcome!

We have 3 beagles and all three are from different litters, Gino, our most recent came into our home at 6 years old as a rescue while we had Roscoe 2 and Cole 1.

You say they become aggressive while playing, I am wondering exactly what you mean? If it is just play fighting and no one is getting hurt, no worries.
Sometimes you would swear my guys were really angry at each other but when they are done, they cuddle up and go to sleep together!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Welcome. I have 4 dogs. 3 beagles/1 beagle/lab cross. Our dogs sound like they are killing each other while in play. They never hurt each other and are really best of friends. They know just how far to go with the other one while playing. I really think they play to relieve stress sometimes and as long as no one draws blood, I don't worry about them.

Yours are quite young. They are still learning how to play with each other. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but make sure to have them neutered or there will be actual fights as they get a little more mature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - We had read prior to bringing them home that Beagles love company, love being with other dogs so we got 2, but recently read that you should never buy 2 at the same time or from the same litter, and that they should eat separately,train separately,crate separately & walk separately or it will be difficult to train or know who is the pack leader. We are not sure how serious the aggression towards each other is yet but it does get quite heated but they do end up snuggled up with each other. Any one had experience of 2 beagles together at the same time, thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome from all all the way over there. Congrats on your Beagles. Besides the playing, they are also establishing who the boss is, or who is dominent. They may be loud at times and snarl once in a while, but just them establishing boundries. No worries on your part, OK?

Our current Beagle is an Alpha male and he would challenge a Rotty if it came into his yard.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We adopted our two beagles at 2yrs of age at the same time. They were picked up by animal control wandering the streets together so we think they came from the same hunting group. We don't really think they're related, but as I said, we got them together. They have always eaten next to each other and they know each other's boundaries. We only crated them the first year or so that we had them, but when we did we got a huge crate and crated them together. That was 2 years ago. When we first got them, my hubby worked and I didn't, so I walked them a lot by myself. Guess I really did all the wrong things. LOL Anyway, for the most part they do really well on leash. Daisy still gets excited sometimes and pulls some but overall think they're pretty good. And we've ALWAYS walked them together. The only thing I will say is that it is easier to train them separately. For me it's mainly because they learn at different rates and in different ways.

so anyway... I guess what I'm trying to say is that our two have always done pretty much everything together and I think they're turning out just fine. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts