Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My name is Tina and I am from NJ. I have a question that maybe you wise fellow Beagle lovers can help me with. I had a beagle as a child (for 18 years my Sport lived!!!). When my husband and my cocker spaniel passed earlier this year we adopted 3 year old Jenny (Beagle) from a local rescue. She was a handful but has turned out to be the most wonderful little girl
That made us want another. I list Doc as mine because I want him to be. But truthfully we are fostering for 2weeks to see if it works out. Doc is 4 and came from a high kill shelter down south.
He has a wonderful personality but apparently was never an indoor dog. His problem is he can go outside for a 45 min walk, peeing and pooping, then come in and poop or pee in the house 5 mins later. He has no clue about house manners.

We praise him to death when he does his business outside. I take him out immediately when I see him doing it inside. I was told he was neutered about 1 month ago. Could that be it? Is he marking? But what about the poop? He and Jenny are fast buddies. We all love Doc but just don't know what to do. Any suggestions? We want to make him a permanent resident of our home but we need help

Thanks and nice meeting you all. I hope to be around more.

Tina

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
It may take Doc a little while to get it, but the fact that you already have a housetrained dog for him to copy should help. Are you using crate training with him? My Teddy was an adult rescue and he crate trained very quickly. Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am basically in the same situation. We brought Sulli into our home recently. Since her purchase as a small puppy (by the previous owners) she has been free to roam 24 acres of land and has never been inside a home. There was no socialization done on her evidently either. She is very timid. She spooks at the slightest sound. She obviously wasn't house broken. She was never vaccinated. Never having been brought inside she has NO house manners. And the list goes on. She appears to have been kicked and/or hit as she hunkers down and darts from sudden movements around her.

She has only been with us a few short weeks and she is making great strides. She is still learning about what is and is not acceptable house behavior. She has become slightly less timid, but not much. She is doing well in crate training, but house training isn't going too well. She will not seem to have accidents if she is confined to the kitchen. She only pees in the house (no poop) and it is only if I let her in the carpeted rooms of the home. It's almost like she thinks it feels like grass or something. I figure all I can do is be patient and when caught in the act to take her straight outside and tell her to potty. Today was the first accident in several days, but she only spends about one hour a day on carpet so far.

Perhaps the two of us can help each other through this rough patch. lol Don't give up on Doc yet. It will all come in time and you will wonder why you ever thought about giving up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What I did with my rescue Beagle and all my dogs is I hang a bell on the door. Low enough for them to touch it of course and I ring it and say lets go potty everytime I take them out. Pretty soon they learn that if they have to go potty all they have to do is ring the bell and someone will take them out. I hope this tip helps you guys. Good Luck!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
It will happen suddenly. We adopted 2 ex research beagles 3 years ago. Snoopy was housetrained straight away but Susi took 2 years before she was 'safe'. We went through 3 carpets but the fourth was a plain cotton one and somehow Susi decided she couldnt pee on it. We had experiences in hotels that would make you cringe and travelled everywhere with carpet cleaner. I think she got the message that we were upset when she peed in the room and Snoopy would also act upset. Be patient, Doc will get the message.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Li'l Girl was an adult when we adopted her. We used a crate to help housebreak her. I don't think she'd been used to being in the house, either. It didn't take long to train her, and would have been even quicker had she not gotten sick when spayed. Because of that, she wasn't able to control accidents for awhile.

I'm so happy that Doc is safe. We have so many homeless dogs here in the South, and it's good to know that some are being sent to areas where they can find homes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm in NJ, too, and I have had Brandy seven weeks today and she also came from a shelter in the south, Kentucky. I'm still working on her housetraining. She is getting better, and she only had two accidents this week. I am envisioning the day when this is all a distant memory....I have had the same experience with the carpeting, and that's where she seems to prefer to go.

I love the idea about the bell by the door but my husband seems to think it won't work. I love the idea of proving him wrong even better, so I am going to give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: JaniceI love the idea about the bell by the door but my husband seems to think it won't work. I love the idea of proving him wrong even better, so I am going to give it a whirl.
I can vouch for the fact that it works. Sam our beagle/lab had it down pat within 3 hours. Of course he used it to say he wanted to go out to play too, but he understood what it meant.

Our issue right now isn't being able to get outside. We have a dog door. I just think Sulli doesn't know the difference between in and out. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts