Our Beagle World Forums banner

New to the Forum

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Sephly 
#1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jen. I have lots of animals. I have three pit bull terriers (Otto, Oona, and Mindy Lou), one hound mix (Little Bit), one Australian Shepherd mix (Crackerjack), and one Beagle (Bud) who I've added to the pack as of today. I also have 11 chickens.

I live out in the middle of nowhere, and we have a lot of people who take their hunting dogs who aren't huntable and dump them in the woods or along the highway. I believe this is what's happened with Bud. I was out at the back of my property getting firewood, and I saw this white tail poking up above the old corn stalks in my father-in-law's field next door. I called him and he came running up to me and when he got to my feet, he rolled over on his back. He's so humble and loves my daugter to death.

He is tri-color, and it looks like the tip of his tail has been broken at one point or another, and it makes the end of his tail look like a Q tip. lol I wouldn't say he's too old...maybe a year old. His teeth are remarkably white, and it doesn't look like his molars have been grown in for too long.

I've put a notice on Craigslist and also put fliers at the general store and the post office, but no one has called yet. He also doesn't have a microchip. If no one has claimed him in 10 days, me and my fiance will keep him.

He will be my first Beagle. I used to work for a vet, and we had a lot of Beagles come in, and because of all the noise they make, I said I'd never own one, but now that Bud is here, even if his owner is found, he has me completely in love with the breed. The first spot in the house he claimed was my spot in the bed, and he cries if I leave the room and he can't find me. And no matter where I sit down, he lays at my feet and drapes his head over them.

I look forward to corresponding with all y'all and learning more about the Beagle breed!

Jen

See less See more
#7 ·
Welcome aboard! I am sure you will really like it here. I am sure when you worked at the Vet clinic you figured out that beagles are independent little devils and don't mind tell the world, hence all the arooing! But you could not ask for a sweeter or better family member as your son can attest. I have 3 beagles myself and I can not tell you the number of times people, and some quite elderly, have stopped me to tell me about their childhood beagle and how much they ment to them. Enjoy, but hold on for the ride, a beagle is not like any other dog.

#14 ·
Welcome! He sounds like such a sweetheart, good luck!
I did not necessarily want a beagle at first either (for no other reason except that my husband and I wanted a BIG dog). Well, all I had to do was pick up a three month old Roscoe and I was in love. Now we have two and I would glady get another!

#15 ·
Wow you do have your hands full with all those animals, but what a life it would be. I am glad there are animal lovers out there in the world like you.

Out of curiosity...I think you should open your dogs mouth and see if it has a full palate on top. Obviously if it had a cleft palate it would probably be slight or it wouldn't still be doing so well, but what you describe as a possible, previously broken tail sounds like a pup we recently had to have put to sleep. Upon doing extensive research on cleft palates I found that deformed tails are a part of a midline issue which is what causes a cleft palate and some times other health issues dealing with the spine and such. Perhaps this pup was abandoned because of health problems. I know that would be horrible to think, but I would sure want to have it thoroughly examined to make sure you don't fall in love with the little guy only to find he does have some health issue.

Good luck to you all and I am glad you found us here. I too am excited to see photos of your menagerie.

#18 ·
Originally Posted By: beagletailsWow you do have your hands full with all those animals, but what a life it would be. I am glad there are animal lovers out there in the world like you.

Out of curiosity...I think you should open your dogs mouth and see if it has a full palate on top. Obviously if it had a cleft palate it would probably be slight or it wouldn't still be doing so well, but what you describe as a possible, previously broken tail sounds like a pup we recently had to have put to sleep. Upon doing extensive research on cleft palates I found that deformed tails are a part of a midline issue which is what causes a cleft palate and some times other health issues dealing with the spine and such. Perhaps this pup was abandoned because of health problems. I know that would be horrible to think, but I would sure want to have it thoroughly examined to make sure you don't fall in love with the little guy only to find he does have some health issue.

Good luck to you all and I am glad you found us here. I too am excited to see photos of your menagerie.
I checked his palate, and it looks completely normal. Thanks for the tip though! As soon as I can, I will take some nice pics of this sweetie and my whole gang.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.