Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, My name is, Brian. I own a purebred of 10 months.She was born Feburary 16th.Her name is Daisy and she is a killer in training.Shes getting use to the woods and trailing.Not after rabbits yet, she hasn't spooked one up or seen one going yet.Although she knows the smell and picks up the scent, she is not able to track it.
Very nice, energetic dog, lots of stamina and endurance, will be a great hunter when i am done.
Can someone explain to me how to post a picture.
And would you tell me if you hunt with your hound or just own it as a housedog.I would like to hear a few opinons on hunting with beagles.
Mines too energetic for the house, and besides...She loves the woods. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW, Brian and Daisy. There are a few hunters here, who I'm sure will help you. Our two are not used to hunt with, they were stuck in research labs for their first 5 years. However, their hunting instinct is very strong and Susi would be off after anything that moves or smells good. For us it is more the problem of not letting them hunt, we can never let them off the lead for fear of them getting lost, run over or being shot by the local hunter (gamekeeper).
There is a description on the beagle discussion board about posting photos. I always use Image Schack. There you click on upload file, press the button for browse, find the photo you want to use from your files,click on the resize and select the size for websites and forums ( 320x240). Then click on 'host it'. Once your picture comes up click on first line under the photo and use your mouse to copy it. Then go to the message you are writing and press paste. Hope you can make sense of this. Looking forward to seeing pictures.
Angela with Snoopy and Susi

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. Sounds like Daisy has the life. I'd want a small pack beagles to let them hunt off-lead, too many threats in the desert for a lone or even a brace of beagles. We have cougars, coyotes, skunk bear (You may call em wolverines), and wide variety of poisonous snakes here in Nevada. My beagle has to hunt with an anchor (me) on the other end of his lead. He has good prowess in tracking and voices well when finding a scent, if it gets close he goes to those short excite Yips but only after alerting the pack (me) with a hearty arroooo. Since there is only my beagle to dig, once the rabbit gets to their warren, ground squirrel or lizard get to their den, there is a flurry of dust but the critter is safe. Look forward to hearing of Daisy's hunting exploits.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. Over here in the Uk we drag hunt with our beagles. Its basically allowing a Beagle to hunt but they follow a false trail made from vegetable oil and aniseed. (This is meant to smell like rabbit droppings) This is only carried out in winter so its a very muddy event.....but our beagles love it so much and its a fabulous way of meeting other beagle lovers.

More information and pictures of Drag Hunting can be found at www.thebeagleclub.co.uk under the subheading 'working section'

Its fantastic fun, the dogs all love it and owners feel satisfied that their beagles are doing what comes naturally.

Angela

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW, Brian & Daisy! My Maggie is strictly a house-pet although her rabbit hunting instincts are still intact. She is totally unfazed by all other animals outside except rabbits -- she practically tore my arm out its socket when she spied one on a walk.
Looking forward to pictures!

(Angela -- I took at look at the drag hunting photo gallery. Looks like there are a lot of lemon beagles in your area.)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave: My Li'l Girl is strictly a pet. She has about a 10 acre fenced area to run and scare up squirrels, but she's never allowed out of the fenced area off lead. At night, and whenever she wants during the day, she's in the house.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome Brian.

Beagles are some of the best hunters / trailers on the planet. I have friend who hunts with a pack of Beag's (8 of them).

He has tried to get us to let Vinny go out with his pack. However, Vinny's attention span is so short, he would just want to play with the dogs as they hunt and ruin the whole thing.

So we let him hunt and roam in the backyard.

Keep us posted on your Beagles prowess in the woods.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi Brian and Daisy, welcome to BW :wave:

My Beagle's name is Daisy, too. She lives a life of luxery as a companion pet. But the first summer we had her (she was 5 when we found her) she brought me 4 baby rabbits. She actually brought them in the house! And, boy, was she proud of herself :happyhappy: I think the rabbits around here now avoid our yard like the plague 'cause it never happened again.

Other critters don't interest her at all. Our squirrels don't react to her being out, but I think they keep an eye on her just in case. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Hi Brian and Daisy, welcome to BW.
Charlie is a 15in field beagle, also a hunting dog which I kept hunting mouse in the back yard! :biglaugh: We have over 1000 sq feet yard fenced for Charlie to run around arrroooing his heart out, hope the neighbors won't complain.
He is 11 month old on 12/18, one month older than Daisy and 22lb.
He has not caught any mouse yet, He is still very afraid of them, but loves to watch them after dark. He will shiver when he sees one. I do not think he is such a good hunter.

Charlie mom

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome Brian and little Miss Daisy!!! :wave:

I keep Boeing, my beagle, as a house pet and entertainer. He has pretty strong hunting instincts though he rarely has a chance to exercise them as we live in the Bangkok suburbs. He does occasionally get a chance to hunt a few creatures like mice, lizards, and cockroaches (Ugh!!!), but we usually finish the job for him /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif .

Would love to hear more of your and Daisy's hunting adventures!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome Brian
Hope you enjoy it here in Beagle World as much as I have! Sounds like your beagle is pretty well trained, which is good. Mine are both family pets but they also love to hunt and kill and eat anything they are allowed to and happen to come across! They have gotten all squirrels out of our yard!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hope to see some pics of your pup soon
Judi~Harley~ and little Maggie

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome to BW! My girls are 13 in, Thelma and Louise. They are pets, but MAN, could they be good hunting dogs! we got them from field trial breeders. They are 20 mos. old and are litter mates. You will love it here. I do think most of us are of the pet mode, we love to hear all aspects of all kinds and love to share all aspects!!!Can't wait to see px of your beag!!! Anyway, send px asap!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome!

My two boys are my indoor pets. They think that they are "hunters" and are pretty proud of themselves when they "almost" catch rabbits and birds!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.