Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
My name is Lora, my husband,Ron and I are the proud parents of Tippi, who came to us in January of 2000. The man who gave her to us said that she was special and he was right. Her sister and 2 brothers were running around the yard and Tippi was laying quietly under a tree, when I went up to her and offered my hand for her to sniff. She immediately got up and snuggled up next me. 30 seconds later she was coming home with us and she has been a joy ever since! I could go on forever about how special she is, but unfortunately my main purpose in joining Beagle World is to try to find someone out there who could help us find out why she started to gain weight in 2001 and is currently 69 pounds with arthritis, allergies, ear infections, etc. I have been searching hundreds of avenues trying to find what could be wrong with her and so has her Vet. Then yesterday I found Beagle World! I read the post by JudyMaggie and immediately joined up!! My hope is that with Beagle World's assistance I will finally be able to find the cause of Tippi's problem and hopefully get her treatment so that the pained look that I see in her eyes will disappear and she can once again be the happy,healthy dog she once was. Sorry to go on so long, I'm just so thrilled that after all my searching, that I have finally found some hope.
Thanks to all of you for listening!
Lora&Tippy

·
Registered
131 Posts
A huge welcome, I'm sure you'll love this place as I do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Unluckily I cannot help you and Tippy, because I never experienced the problem, but I'm sure someone surely will, and I really hope everything goes o.k. soon!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World - A big welcome arrooooo to Tippi. I rewcued my beagle Bagel some 8+ years ago and our first trip to the vet we got compliments that my beagle wasn't overweight like mist beagles they saw. They also detailed several of the problems compounded by being overweight. That said, those sad brown eyes and the beagle appitite are so hard to resist. My beagle, the Bagel was 3 to 5 when he came home with me and he is still a trim active pain free senior. It hasn't been easy.

I guess where I am going is it takes hard work to deny those begging brown eyes but it pure love to try to get Tippi back down to a healthy weight. Now here is where good advice can be had on how to deny Tippi that extra helping and feel better. Glucosomne will help, any exercise, even long slow walks will help. Hydro thearapy may be an alternative if walking is too painful for Tippi. You can find plenty of support amd good help here.

Tippo spounds like sje is a very sweet sudate beagle, we all are looking forward to exchanging stores. Belly rubs are calorie freem give Tippi one from the Bagel and I

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much thanks to Milla the Bee,Bob and Bagel for their warm welcome!I guess in my haste to introduce myself and Tippi to all of you, I left out some pertinent details regarding her current health situation. Tippi eats 1 cup of food per day. Per her Vet's instructions we cut out all of her treats in 2001, one of the hardest things we ever had to do. She has had numerous tests for thyroid disfunction, Cushings, all kinds of diet dog foods, accupuncture etc.,since 2001 and still our vet can't find out what is causing her excessive weight gain. She receives hydrotherapy once a week and I walk her in a wading pool 3x's a week and she hasn't lost an ounce, however she hasn't gained any weight in the last 3 months,so we are grateful for that. Even with all of the above, Tippi is a happy dog and a constant joy to us. One last note. A Vet from the University of Florida wants to do an ACTH stim test on her in the next few weeks and we are keeping our fingers crossed that they will finally find the cause of her weight gain. Please keep a good thought for her for us.
Lora&Tippy

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
:wave: Hi Lora and welcome to BW to you and Tippi. My Shiloh was diagnosed with Cushings Disease 2 years ago, though I suspect she had it for at least a year before that. I see Judy has already written in the Discussion forum about her experience with Cushings and the support group she is in. I'm in a different one, but her sounds good too. Do let us know what the results of her ACTH are--I hope you can get a definitive diagnosis.
Is Tippi on medication for arthritis? Shiloh was on Rimadyl for awhile, then Deramaxx. We had a bit better results with the Deramaxx, and it doesn't have as much tendancy for side effects, according to my vet. Ironically, as her Cushings got worse, her arthritis got better, although I didn't know at the time that was why it was improving. Because Cushings dogs have extra steroids running around in their bloodstream, the steroids help the arthritis. So that one of the symptoms of Cushings is that the arthritis improves, and as the meds begin to get the Cushings under control the arthritis gets worse. I give Shiloh GlycoFlex now for her arthritis, which is a supplement my vet recommended. It doesn't work as quickly as a drug, but you can get it OTC, and it does seem to help her move better.
Good luck and let us know how things go with Tippi. As Judy said, feel free to PM me anytime, I'll be glad to help if I can!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Lora: I didn't understand, you are making the tough choices and it is such a shame the vets can't get a handle on it. Poor Tippi. I know you'll gets some good ideas and possible causes, I feel so bad for Tippi. No treats in the last 5 years. Bagel and I will add Tippi to our nightly prayer list!

I would have no excuse if the Bagel chunked up. I watch my Bagel's "meat to ribs" ratio by feeling his sides and adjusting his daily amount of kibble but I don't think I've ever had him on as little as a cup a day, other than the times he had shared dinner with me the previous evening. He is 14.75 to the whithers, weighs between 26 (too easy to find his ribs so I increase his kibble ration) and 26.5 pounds (too much Bagel on those ribs, kibble ration being decreased) depending on time of year, amount of exercise, etc. The outside range is between 1 and 2 cups but he seldom gets less than 1.5 cups or more than 1.75 cups per day. This is before being adjusted down to compensate for any previous evening treats.

I don't have any experience with problems like Tippi's but I will ask Bagel Vet if she has ideas about where to turn with Tippi the next time I see her. There are others on this board with more knowledge.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Sorry to hear about Tippi's problem. Our Summer was put on a diet after she had her second ACL rebuilt. After 6 months of 1 cup a day of Purina OM food, she lost ZERO pounds. But Summer is only 34 pounds. 69 is a different story. That is a dangerous weight for a beagle.

Keep us informed on Tippi's progress.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and concerns for Tippi. To answer your question Genie, yes we tried Rimadyl and deramaxx but she stopped eating when we gave it to her and it didn't seem to help with the stiffness, so I got a book on massage techniques and twice a day Tip gets a massage, in fact I say "come on Tip, massage time" and she wags her tail and rolls on her side to get ready!
Since I started this she is walking much better. Oh, we also started hydrotherapy and although I don't think she's wild about swimming she is doing really well with it and her therapist is pleased. Last week she swam a short distance on her own! Again thanks to all of you

Lora&Tippi

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Welcome Lora, Ron and a big arrrooooo to Tippi !!

It is so hard when our beags can't tell us what is wrong so that we can help fix it. I sure hope the ACTH stim test gets you some answers.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome, Lora and Tippi :wave:

Sorry to hear about Tippi's health problem, and I sincerely hope that your vet will be able to find out the real causes very soon. Meanwhile, Boeing and I will be sending good thoughts your way. Keep us informed of Tippi's progress.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Arrrooo to you and Tippi. Our two older dogs are overweight but we do know the cause - we are weak and can't resist those eyes and therefore they get far too many treats... but we are trying to be better as we certainly don't want to kill them with kindness. Good luck in your search for why Tippi is gaining weight - it must really be awful not knowing what is wrong.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome Laura, Ron and Tippi.
We hope you will soon have the solution as to why Tippi is so large. Do the blood tests come back normal, kidneys and so on? Is it purely fat or is there also a lot of fluid involved?
Has she been checked for adrenal gland tumors?
I have no experience of this. I just know other people whose dogs had this problem.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.
Angela

·
Registered
540 Posts
Welcome Lora & Tippi!

Wow, sounds like you have had a rough go. As others have said, there is nothing more frustrating than not being able to find out what's wrong. Tippi is lucky to have someone to love her so much and keep trying to find the cause of her problem. I feel your pain in a sense with the diet and no treats as we have just had to start Buckley on a food allergy diet. That means nothing can pass his lips but the hypoallergenic food - no treats, nothing he finds on his walks...I have to be soooo careful. It's a battle!

I hope you find a cause soon so that you and Tippi can start on the road to recovery!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome Lora and Tippi.
Boy when I was reading your post I remembered last year when I found Beagle World-it always makes me smile when I see other folks as excited to find BW as I was!! It has been such a tremendous help and I dont know what I would do with out the website!!

I am racking my brains on troubles that could be causing your Tippi to be gaining weight. I am guessing it is not just edema, it is actual "meat on the bones" weight. This is a long time to be searching for a diagnosis too, poor girl!

I did do an informative speech about beagles a month ago and I dug it out to find out some of the typical diagnosis for beagles-or some of the health issues that beagles have developed over the years. The main ones were hypothyroidism, umbilical hernias, epilepsy, glaucoma, dry eye disease, hyp dysplasia, and lunation of patella. So I dont think any of those will help with diagnosis of this beag!

Well keep us all updated, I will be waiting and watching to find out what is going on with Tippi.

Hugs
Judi and the gang (Harley, his daughter Maggie, and the newest member of the gang Chopper)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many,Many THANKS for all your kind words! Tippi has had one test after another since 2004 and they keep coming back normal. However, while reviewing some of her test results I am noticing alot of high and low readings which should have sent a red flag up. If something is high or low it can't be normal, can it? I am amazed that I apparently just accepted what our Vet was telling us without question(very much unlike me). What I am going to try to do now is not look back and blame myself, but try to go forward and not give up on finding out what is wrong with my Tippi.
Lora&Tippi

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm a little late, but welcome to Beagle World. :wave: It sounds like you've been having a frustrating time of trying to get a handle on Tippi's problems. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Happily, my beagle is healthy, but our two male mixed breeds have problems. One has had liver and bladder issues, and the other has seizures, so I empathize with your concern. Hopefully, you can get a proper diagnosis soon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:computer: Thanks to Katie, Judi,and SandyJ for your welcome. Katie, when we had to cut out all of Tippi's treats, a friend of mine suggested that I use her food for treats. I would hold out a few pieces and give them to her throughout the day and she adjusted just fine and looked forward to treat time. Judi, it's strange but sometimes it seems as if the fat on Tippi shifts around, expecially around her shoulder area. The Vet checked her for edema but found none and so far he can't explain the shifting. Hopefully the ACTH stim test will answer some questions for us.
Lora&Tippi

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Lora!

Welcome to BW from Henry and I! :wave:

I don't have anything to offer or any ideas on what is going on with your baby girl.

I must say this...what dedicated and loving parents Tippi has. You have tried everything and are not giving up. Do you realize how many people would have not had the brains or inclination to try to get to the bottom of this?

5 stars for you from Henry and I! :thumbup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many thanks to Henry Beetle and his Mommy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Tippi is indeed special in that my husband Ron, wasn't much of a pet enthusiast until she came along. Now I think he spoils her as much or more than I do.

Lora&Tippi

"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.