Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all just became the proud owner of a 13 week old pup name Milo. He’s been such a good boy. Using the wee pad pretty good for poo and pee (beside for the occasional peeing under the table) trying to get him to get comfortable walking on the leash and actually responding to his name. Any pointers?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome! We'd love pics :)

For the puppies we've had, while they were still learning housebreaking, we took them out every hour, after eating, took away water at 8pm (11pm bedtime) and woke up around 2:30 am to take them out, then early in the morning. It was exhausting, but it gets better! At some point you'll want to transition from the pad to outside - we just did outside from the start (we tried pee pads in Agis's crate, he ate them, so that ended).

Does Milo know was 'pee' and 'poo' means? We had parties outside when Agis would do it, and say Good pee! Good poo! to reinforce.

I've had two puppies out of our 5 days, and changed Xerxes's name (previously he was Tofu, and before that, Rat) despite getting him as an adult. A lot of saying their names, consistency, seemed to do it.

Is COVID preventing puppy classes? Our issue was we adopted Agis at 13.5 weeks, 14 weeks was the oldest to start, but he had kennel cough when we brought him home, so we weren't able to. Did some private training, then his first group classes were cancelled by COVID. We finally started him in virtual classes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! We'd love pics :)

For the puppies we've had, while they were still learning housebreaking, we took them out every hour, after eating, took away water at 8pm (11pm bedtime) and woke up around 2:30 am to take them out, then early in the morning. It was exhausting, but it gets better! At some point you'll want to transition from the pad to outside - we just did outside from the start (we tried pee pads in Agis's crate, he ate them, so that ended).

Does Milo know was 'pee' and 'poo' means? We had parties outside when Agis would do it, and say Good pee! Good poo! to reinforce.

I've had two puppies out of our 5 days, and changed Xerxes's name (previously he was Tofu, and before that, Rat) despite getting him as an adult. A lot of saying their names, consistency, seemed to do it.

Is COVID preventing puppy classes? Our issue was we adopted Agis at 13.5 weeks, 14 weeks was the oldest to start, but he had kennel cough when we brought him home, so we weren't able to. Did some private training, then his first group classes were cancelled by COVID. We finally started him in virtual classes.
So the good news is that we do have a wee pad in his crate which he uses just fine. Did sign him up for some classes which start in December.
For the most part Milo is in bed by 930-10 ( he literally take himself to his crate and knocks out) he’s been sleeping throughout the night or if he’s up he entertains himself with the toys we leave in his crate until he falls asleep again.

I haven’t used the “good pee” or “good poo” but I definitely will use it from this point forward. Thank you for that.

here’s a pic of our boy!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Welcome. Very cute puppy. Ive had my dog from 8wks ..Cassie is now 8.10 years old. I use the same word for pee/poop..just makes it easier. I say lets go "peepee".
This is going to shake things up a bit.. i would not recommend using a pee pad in the crate. It teaches the dog to pee/poop in the crate. Yes the dog will accidentally do it .. . Take your dog out every 1-2 hours on a leash to do the business. Usually they dont do both in the same spot so you have to go to a second area to do something else. Praise big time and give a tiny treat. I also recommend getting a "clicker " at the petstore. Watch YouTube videos on how to use one.
Your puppy is going to start biting/nipping which is a phase. Here is one of my prior posts on the subject..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Oh he's soooo cute! I wish I'd Xerxes from a puppy, Beagle puppies are too adorable <3

That's great he's sleeping through the night. And that he associates the crate with calm, good things. We had real issues with that at Agis, which was incredibly frustrating.

I agree with Cassie - at this age, as long as he's getting taken out regularly, he should be able to be crated without having accidents (we adopted Agis at the same as, 13.5 weeks, but he wasn't housetrained at all). What does your daily schedule look like? Is he crated during the day?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh he's soooo cute! I wish I'd Xerxes from a puppy, Beagle puppies are too adorable <3

That's great he's sleeping through the night. And that he associates the crate with calm, good things. We had real issues with that at Agis, which was incredibly frustrating.

I agree with Cassie - at this age, as long as he's getting taken out regularly, he should be able to be crated without having accidents (we adopted Agis at the same as, 13.5 weeks, but he wasn't housetrained at all). What does your daily schedule look like? Is he crated during the day?
so I took the week off from work to get him acquainted with his new surroundings. Monday and Tuesday we hung out together. Today I left him alone in his crate for 2hrs pretending I wasn’t home. I monitored him on the camera. He pretty much howled for 10mins then chewed his toy then laid down.
The only thing is when I “got home” he had a crazy amount of energy. Played tug of war, let me chew his toys, took him outside twice. Then he decided he wanted to learn how to hump today lol. I just wrapped him in his blanket and put him in his crate. He’s currently in dreamland.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. Very cute puppy. Ive had my dog from 8wks ..Cassie is now 8.10 years old. I use the same word for pee/poop..just makes it easier. I say lets go "peepee".
This is going to shake things up a bit.. i would not recommend using a pee pad in the crate. It teaches the dog to pee/poop in the crate. Yes the dog will accidentally do it .. . Take your dog out every 1-2 hours on a leash to do the business. Usually they dont do both in the same spot so you have to go to a second area to do something else. Praise big time and give a tiny treat. I also recommend getting a "clicker " at the petstore. Watch YouTube videos on how to use one.
Your puppy is going to start biting/nipping which is a phase. Here is one of my prior posts on the subject..
View attachment 41985
Oh boy he is in that phase right now. So for the most part I have him chewing his toys pretty well. He does tend to nip at the hand once in a while but I always have a toy on hand to differ. When he does try to bite, I open my hand and make sure he licks my palm and that we are on the same page. I will definitely try the hand feeding and the walk away. Would you suggest me putting him in his crate when I tell him no? Or just simply ignore?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Never use the crate for punishment or time out. You want your dog to always love it. I laugh and call the crate Cassie's one bedroom apartment...lol.
Here is a recent picture of her in the crate. She naps in it and sleeps all nite in it with the door open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never use the crate for punishment or time out. You want your dog to always love it. I laugh and call the crate Cassie's one bedroom apartment...lol.
Here is a recent picture of her in the crate. She naps in it and sleeps all nite in it with the door open.
View attachment 41989
I can’t wait until I can trust Milo to sleep with his crate open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
View attachment 41989
He had an episode today where for some reason he kept biting and pulling his bed out of the crate.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Cassie ripped up 5 nice beds.. im a slow learner...lol. i got a small hard plastic kiddie pool and put her towels and toys in it. That was her dog bed for awhile. Dont put a dog bed in the crate. Use a bunch of old towels you dont mind getting ripped up in the crate.
By the way it took several years before Cassie was able to sleep in the crate with the door open. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts