Our Beagle World Forums banner

New Puppy, New Beagle, New World?

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Tammy 
Okay, having a 10 month old and a 6 month old puppy myself I feel I have some knowledge about beagle pups so perhaps I can help.

First of all let me say that I agree you should be contacting your vet just to be certain it is nothing to worry about, but with that said...my beagles really seem to sneeze, cough and snort when they are first up from a nap or night time sleep. More so than any of the other dogs I have owned in my lifetime. I think it may be a beagle thing. It is far from constant. Almost every time they wake up in the morning and maybe 2-3 times a week when we are all out playing. They show no other signs of illness and I have just figured they have dust in their noses or something.

Beagle pups are very mischevious, therefore, I am a firm believer in crate training. I never used to be, but I think my Beagles are the reason I have changed my thinking in that regard. You will find that a crate can become their best friend and yours. It is essential during housebreaking and invaluable when you need to leave your home for any extended period of time. It will save you a lot of money and heartache in the end and dogs being ancestors of cave dwellers really learn to love their private space. Mine love their afternoon naps in their crates and do well in them overnight also.

As for food...Beagles are always chow hounds. At least as pups I find they are. My older Beagles have really slowed down on how fast they eat and how much they eat, but given food at will, they would definitely become obese. Just follow the guidelines on the dog food you have purchased. The more expensive brands are believed to be higher quality and require less food to be fed to your dog so it really depends on what you are using.

As for coloring...don't fall in love with the dark brown/black on the puppy. It goes away quickly. In the introduction section I have posted pictures of my youngest beagle as a pup and 4 months after bringing him home. He looks like a completely different dog. My female was also the same, although she was never as dark as Tate to begin with.

I hope this information helps. Welcome and good luck with your new arrival.

I have one that loves to have her nose right next to or under my stinky feet when she sleeps and another one that just has to be touching us somehow. Either he has a paw on us or he is literally laying his whole body against ours. I love how they want to snuggle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.