Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We just received our 7 week old Beagle pup, Bianca, yesterday. Let's just say she is a doll. I have a couple questions for you all.

-She sleeps a LOT! She takes half hour to 2 hour naps every two hours or so. And she keeps it up throughout the night as she wakes up every two hours to go out and pee/poop.

-Her stool seems to be very soft and sometimes liquidy. Is this ok?

-She always seems to be shivering when she lays down to go to sleep. Our house isn't that cold or anything and often times I touch her and she isn't always cold to the touch. Sometimes warm. Anything to worry about?

-She is also not eating too much. We put out her food 3x a day and usually give her around 1-2 cups and she only eats a small amount of it. Maybe half a cup. She is drinking her water though at the same times as meals.

Let me know what you guys think about these observations. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Our Cole was that young last year and here is what we experienced:

-sleeping, normal! just like babies, they need lots of rest, they are growing!

-Cole had runny stool for awhile after we got him and it is just their body adjusting to the food, give it some time and if it doesn't resolve itself I would just ask the vet to be sure

-we kept Cole very warm, a warm fuzzy crate cushion and some plush animals, again I think in this respect they are just like babies, even now, our beags love being under the blankets

-the eating I can't relate to, Cole would eat so much it was incredible, and he was so excited about it he actually stood in his bowl and ate around himself! LOL
I did overfeed him a few times (we were still learning) and boy did we know it, his little belly bloated.

1/2 cup three times a day would be a cup and a half, I THINK that is ok, but maybe someone else can offer more insight on this!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Quinn and Grayson are 5.5 months old, and they still dont' eat that much. I actually really like that because it means I don't have to worry too much about them getting fat any time soon. They also NEVER get human food.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sleeping normal, shaking normal, keep him warm, and eating normal. Pups usually don't eat that much, especially while they are getting used to things. He will not starve, just remember that, he will eat when he is ready. I was scared the first time. Cassidy slept like, for hours and hours at a time and it's just like a baby, they sleep alot!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Congrats on your Beagle. They are nothing but adorable when pups. In terms of food, we fed both of ours 1/2 cup twice a day.

They do love their sleep.
The runny stool could be caused if you switched food. To firm it up, you can mix in some cooked rice with the kibble.

·
Registered
106 Posts
yes they are very adorable
as all above have said, it all sounds normal. puppies will tire very quickly and are obviously more sensitive to the temperature, just like human babies.
if your puppy is eating half a cup, three times a day, then that is a good amount. my 8 week old eats half a cup of kibble and a chicken heart or some other small bit of chicken/meat, twice a day.
my 6.5 month old eats 1.5 cups of kibble and a chicken neck, twice a day. so you can see that you are trying to feed your 7 week old more than i feed my 6.5 month old... usually purchased food has a feeding guide on the packaging which might help you...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts