Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all! Three months ago, my SO and I became homeowners and were finally able to satisfy another longtime want, adopting a dog. We found and fell in love with a rescue pooch who is part beagle, part hound (Catahoula Leopard Dog, to be exact), and adopted him the same week we moved in.

Apart from seldom barking/baying, his attitude, temperament, and behavior are very in keeping with his beagle lineage. Lookswise, he is very beagle-ish...his Catahoula heritage shows in his legs (he's a little taller than the avearage beagle), and his coloring (shades of black, white, grey and brown, with merled spots) but the beagle in him is unmistakeable.

His name is Willie, and we're learning all the ins and outs of the beagle personality. We both were raised with labs, and this is a whole new ballgame.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
:welcome: Willie is gorgeous! I love his coloring/markings! Great pics. Enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi to you and Willie, hope you enjoy the forum! Love Willie's coloring, he is absolutely adorable!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome to you and Willie

:welcome: Hi and Welcome - Willie is sooo handsome. I especially love his "Santa Baby" photo!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! He's a sweetheart (stubborn, but a sweetheart)! In the Santa picture, he was so sad. Santa kept calling him "Lily."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! We have some challenges with behavior, but it's mostly anxiety-rooted, I think. Typical rescued dog, no-stable-life-before-us stuff n' baggage.

So far, the things we're struggling with are:

The biggies:

-anxiety when home alone/crated (see already-posted thread on urinating outside his crate even when freshly walked). He shreds anything shreddable when it's put in the crate with him, he's broken crate-mount water bottles, and he's even broken out of his crate.

-chewing of inappropriate household things even when provided with preferred chew toys

The smaller issues:

-combatting bad/nonexistent training for basic commands...from walking on a leash without pulling/choking (a harness for walks has greatly improved this) to recall to getting him to sit for more than a millisecond. I'd really like him to sit and not circle the table begging for food when we eat, but that might be a pipe dream. He was fed table scraps by previous fosters, so that reinforced his innate mania for any and all food at any and all times.

-The most vile-smelling anal gland emissions, which usually happen when chilling calmly on the couch in the evening, and get on the couch and require evacuation and immediate -as - possible scrubbing (not kidding)

-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts