Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casie is now 18 months old. When he came to us he was 12 months old, and was supposedly house broke. NOT! He could go outside in a run with a cement floor and a doggie door, but not trained to go to the door and let us know he needed outside.

So with our cold South Dakota winters, we had to teach him to go outside, not cower at the wind. And we made it through that. Then we had to teach him to go out in the snow and do his duties, and we did that. BUT it got colder, and now he won't go outside to do duties, he will go out, run with Cobi and then come inside, and drop a pile of poo in the hall way, or worse in our room in the AM. He lets out a bark of warning --- and then dumps. No human being, even Superman could move to get the dog down stairs that fast....

To say the least, I am sick and tired of this little trick!
I am buying pads to set by the doors today, but is that teaching him to go outside at his age. CAn he be taught to go outside at his age? I understand accidents, but this is a purposeful, Im pooing now thing.

Any ideas. I love this dog to death, but he is stretching my patience! HELP!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you tried crate training? We got Snoopy at about 18 months old and she was not completely housebroken. She lived in a crate at her previous home. We SLOWLY gave her more and more freedom until she earned the run of the house. I never crated a dog before but this worked out well. As soon as we got home, got up, etc. the crate was opened and she was taken right outside to do her thing. Then of course she got a treat when she had a successful mission. The training was very quick. I suggest giving it a try. But remember not to use the crate for punishment. You want Casie to think of it as a positive place to be.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
When we first got Molly she was not getting the idea of potty outside (I think she was from a back yard breeder and then was at the shelter in a cage). What I would do was take her out right after a meal or if she had a chewie. If she didn't go, she would be gated in the kitchen. If she had an accident in the kitchen, I picked it and her up and outside we went and I would tell her potty outside. She finally got it and comes to me with a wiggly butt when she needs to potty.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good ideas. I think I can figure a way to crate him in the kitchen....rather than his crate that we use when we leave the house. I'll let you know what success I have.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Keep us posted.

Oh, I also used treat reward if Molly did potty out side and praised her with good girl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts