Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just rescued a female beagle and she is wonderful. We guess she is about 1 1/2 years old and is very loving and sweet. But we are having some issues and not sure how to proceed. We have only had her 2 days now and we love her. But for some reason she will now go to the bathroom outside. We try and try to take her outside and she has gone only twice in 2 days outside and we praise her and give her treats, but when she gets a chance and get upstairs she will defecate and urinate in the house when she can. I take her out first thing in the morning after I get up for work and she is a crated dog. I'm not sure if it is nervers or what. We do have a female cat at home as well. They are still in the meeting process. No major problems yet. We don't know alot about the history of the dog yet and are still trying to find out more from the rescue shelter. She is such a sweet dog and I am just looking for any siggestions you all may have. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Molly's Dad

·
Registered
182 Posts
You might need to go back to puppy-style training until she gets the idea of where you want her to go. So take her outside every hour or two when you are home and right after you let her out of the crate or she eats. Wait until she does something and then praise the heck out of her. When she is inside don't let her have free run of the house and watch for her to start circling and sniffing (not as exact an indicator with a beagle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ). She should get the idea soon.

That being said, beagles can be more difficult to housebreak than some other breeds. Another option would be a dog door.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree about keeping her in your sight at all times and going back to puppy style training. Keep outside play time and bathroom time seperate so she doesn't keep playing and forget to go. When she used the bathroom outside, did she know you were watching? The first thing I thought about the hiding situation is that she might've been punished while being housebroken in her other home, and now she's afraid to let people see her go to the bathroom.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by K & G:
I agree about keeping her in your sight at all times and going back to puppy style training. Keep outside play time and bathroom time seperate so she doesn't keep playing and forget to go. When she used the bathroom outside, did she know you were watching? The first thing I thought about the hiding situation is that she might've been punished while being housebroken in her other home, and now she's afraid to let people see her go to the bathroom.
That is good advise but she also may not be housebroken. Hopefully you can find out more from the rescue people but if she has lived her life in a cage then she may see the house as an wonderful big cage but doesn't realize she doesn't have to do her business in her new cage. Patience and love and she'll get the hang of it soon enough.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi there, Molly's Dad,

Welcome to Beagle World. You've come to the right place for help and support.

The advice that you have been given is good. Not giving her a run of the house and watching for that restless, circling, sniffing behavior is good. Also, taking her from the crate to right outside...to this day all of my dogs immediately run to the front door when we wake up or come home.

We rescued a beagle 1 1/2 years ago. A male from a kill-shelter who was picked up as a stray. I thought he would never housebreak and I was posting for help on BW just like you. My frustration level was off the charts sometimes but I would just look at my Henry and melt. :heart:

Anyway, one day I woke up and he was housebroken! And I honeslty thought it would never, ever happen.

So...you've only had your MOlly for two days. Be consistent, use praise and positive reinforcement, meaning let her know when she's been a good girl (beagles do not respond to negatives like yelling and hitting, that's just how it is) and keep giving her bathroom breaks.

If Henry can housebreak, Molly can.

~Denise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well now its day number with our little girl and things are improving. She only went in the house twice yesterday and my wife kept a close eye on her and she did much better. One weird thing was last night we took her for a long walk and she went #2 and as soon as we walked in the door and left her out of her harness she walked 5 feet away and squated and went #1 on the floor. :nono5: But she has been much better on leash and seems to be improving. We love and and have a great outlook for her and out family in the future.

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts