Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am from san francisco bay area and first time mom to a beagle puppy. His name is Neo and is 7 week old. We got him a couple of days back.

He is very comfortable in his crate from day 1, but need some work on his biting and potty training. I am looking forward to sharing my experience raising Neo and learning from all beagle parents experiences.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
He is so cute - reminds me of Nebbers when he was little! Congrats on your addition! Biting is typical puppy behaviour, I've had luck redirecting onto toys, other people firmly discourage (in a gentle way of course!). As long as you're consistent, you should see results.

Reactions: Neo's Mom

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
So cute and welcome to the forum. Im from southern California and a puppy survivor...lol.
If you could provide some information it would help with advice:
  • Do you live in a single family house or apartment?
  • Do you have an enclosed yard?
  • are you a stay at home person or go to work during the day?
Here's the skinny...
I'll start with my observation of your crate... if you put artificial turf in the crate your dog will think thats where he has to do his business when the crate is NOT for going potty. I recommend removing it. Take your dog out frequently on a leash to where you want him to go pee/poop and say ...go potty ( or such) and when he does Praise big time..GOOD BOY!
Restrict the area inside so you dont have accidents and chew issues everywhere.
Puppies bite and nip for a few months..its just a puppy thing and will pass. Say.. NO BITING! hand feeding your dog helps..no biting the hands that feed's 'ya. Give chew toys to help..forget the cute plush..they'll get ripped in no time.
Let your dog have frequent naps in the crate.. an overly stimulated dog will nip. No rough housing or sitting on the floor to play..it starts the biting.
Start talking to your dog and begin giving commands like "sit", "down", etc.
Im a big believer in using a clicker which you can get at a petstore. Watch YouTube videos on how to use it.
Feed your dog the best food you can afford to prevent tummy issues. You can review types on this website:
Www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Beagles are NOT off-leash dogs..they will run away following a scent. Dont risk it. Thats why a secure fence is vital.
My dog is 8 1/2 years old now.. i got her at 8 weeks. Cassie says Hi.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wow, Cassie, your eyesight is better than mine! That IS turf! (Maybe I need new contacts, heh)

I will differ from Cassie in that you don't need to start a lot of commands in a little baby - just let him explore the world, learn how to be in your house and potty training - not that you should let your puppy run wild, but giving them time to be a puppy isn't a bad thing either.

Reactions: Neo's Mom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cassie. Really appreciate you taking time to give me feedback and advise.Your beagle is so beautiful. Looks so gentle posing for the camera :). Before joining this group, I read many posts and read your insightful advises there.

We have a single family house with an enclosed backyard. The backyard is decent sized (for bay area standards) with lawn, woody area and a big deck. I do not let Neo go anywhere other than the deck as he pulls real grass and wood chips in in his mouth…and being a first time puppy mom I am terrified of him ingesting something harmful or getting some infection before he got his all the vaccination shots). So I have a area on the deck where I have artificial turf that I use for the potty business. I took a break from my work in the beginning of this year to become a full time stay-at-home parent. My husband and I have two school going kids. I love dogs but knew puppy require time commitments which I could never give because of full time job and two young growing kids. Now my kids are old enough to be independent, and I have quit my job to be stay-at-home mom…so enough time to commit to raise a puppy by myself.

Let me explain to you my reasoning for putting the turf in the crate.

Every puppy video I have seen and information I read about puppies online talked about taking puppies every 2 hours for a potty break.

I also read that dogs/puppies do not like to soil the area where they sleep.

Unfortunately with Neo I did not find this to be true. His nap duration was not consistent. Only during night time he sleeps for 2 hours without any break, but during the day time his nap ranges from 30 minutes to 1 hr 45 minutes.

Initially i did not put anything on the crate floor. Just had a blanket in his small crate/sleep area). When I noticed him semi tired, I would gently place him in the big crate and sit outside keeping the door open but totally ignoring him. After a few attempts to get my attention, he would start playing with the soft toy inside the crate and then slowly go inside the small crate and put himself to sleep. Once he settled down I would close the big crate door and put the crate covers downs just leaving small opening. I use baby camera/monitor to watch him sleeping. When I see him waking up, I immediately took him outside in a designated potty area (a big patch of artificial turf.). I found no matter how quickly and silently I reached his crate to get him outside, he would hear me coming and pee before I got a chance to get him outside. He would not just pee outside the crate but also on the blanket inside the small crate. Once outside, I immediately put him on the turf. He would pee again and then later after playing for sometime, if I caught him in pooping position I would put him on the turf. I praised him a lot once he completed the business on the turf. However, he was still not going to the turf outside when he had to relive himself. I wanted him to associate grass turf with potty area. Plus I was tired of cleaning the crate with the cleaning liquid to remove all traces of urine :-( and changing his blankets every time.

I started placing grass turf in a litter box inside the big crate. Initially, he continued to pee on the big crate floor but lately I have been noticing he is climbing into the litter box to pee. Outside also, he is going to the turf to poop…Well,accidents are happening but its day 3 and there are many positive signs too so I am hopeful (and keeping my fingers crossed).

Once he consistently goes on the turf to do his business and his sleep duration get consistent, I plan to take the litter box out of his crate and put outside the crate….so he will wait for me to get him out and I can immediately put him on it once I take him out….and slowly I will not even keep it inside and take him directly outside. Once he learns to do his business outside and complete all his shots, he can learn to poop on other surfaces ;-) I do not mind if he poops and pees all his life on artificial turf as long as it is outside the house :-D.

We have puppy toys for him. He is not always biting but his licking turns into biting. Sometimes we say loud ouch and go away from him whenever he bites and other times redirect his attention to his toys (ball, ropes, chewing toys, soft toy) but all this does not always helps I am very hopeful that with time, this will improve too.

I am taking baby steps. Neo seems to have settled down in his new environment and not developed separation anxieties…he is getting enough sleep and eating well for this age puppy.

So cute and welcome to the forum. Im from southern California and a puppy survivor...lol.
Here's the skinny...
I'll start with my observation of your crate... if you put artificial turf in the crate your dog will think thats where he has to do his business when the crate is NOT for going potty. I recommend removing it. Take your dog out frequently on a leash to where you want him to go pee/poop and say ...go potty ( or such) and when he does Praise big time..GOOD BOY!
Puppies bite and nip for a few months..its just a puppy thing and will pass. Say.. NO BITING! hand feeding your dog helps..no biting the hands that feed's 'ya. Give chew toys to help..forget the cute plush..they'll get ripped in no time.
Let your dog have frequent naps in the crate.. an overly stimulated dog will nip. No rough housing or sitting on the floor to play..it starts the biting.
Im a big believer in using a clicker which you can get at a petstore. Watch YouTube videos on how to use it.
Feed your dog the best food you can afford to prevent tummy issues. You can review types on this website:
Www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Beagles are NOT off-leash dogs..they will run away following a scent. Dont risk it. Thats why a secure fence is vital.
View attachment 41803

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Cassie, your eyesight is better than mine! That IS turf! (Maybe I need new contacts, heh)

I will differ from Cassie in that you don't need to start a lot of commands in a little baby - just let him explore the world, learn how to be in your house and potty training - not that you should let your puppy run wild, but giving them time to be a puppy isn't a bad thing either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get clicker and see if it helps. I tried treats to get him to learn to sit or stop, but he is just not into treats.
Thanks for the sharing the url for dog food reviews. For time being, I am using the same food( Kirkland puppy food) that was used by his breeder.

Here's the skinny...
Www.dogfoodadvisor.com

View attachment 41803

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Sounds like you're making a good start. Don't be frustrated about the potty training and DONT believe the...we can teach you to potty train your dog in 6 days...Nope not happening...lol . It took my dog 10 months to be potty reliable with an occasional accident. They're slow buggers. My dog has access to our backyard lawn and a patio. Cassie will potty on the patio if I've closed off the lawn.
I did a lot of laundry during those potty training days. I used old towels instead of blankets. I thought it would never get better but it will in time. You have to figure out what works or doesnt work for your home. Believe me I shed a few tears thinking it would never improve.. doesnt Cassie look like a little angel?...heehee. stay on the forum and we're here to give advice..or at least to share our experiences.
Here's a picture of my clicker...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts