Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi beagle lovers, im about to buy a beagle this week and i need to hear a bit of your expirience.
i want to know about the barking, are they a barking kind?(ovcours i know that each dog has a diffrent personality) i want to know a bit about your dogs. something else, i heard they get fat when they grow can you stop it?
thanks!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First... Welcome to BW.

All dogs bark. Silly answer, I know, but it is true. Beagles tend to bay (howl) at certain sounds. My Murphy will howl police and fire sirens, Summer will bark if she hears a noise she does not recognise. They also bark when we come home, but they are just telling us we were missed. Or when they get really excited, like when we put their collars and leashes on. They know they are going somewhere. It truly depends on the dog, their training, and their surroundings.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby will also bark if she hears a noise she does not recognize. She comes from a line of "field" beagles so, sometimes, once on a scent she will yip. I've been told this is a signal to her pack (me) that she has found something cool. Abby will also bark when the doorbell rings and has a different bark when she wants to play.

As far as being "barky" dogs, no I don't consider her a barky dog. When I think of barky dogs I think of the chihuahuas that bark non-stop.

About the weight issue... beagles are genetically inclined to be active dogs. Some (my Abby seems to be the exception to the rule since she's picky about what food she'll eat) beagles also LOVE food! If they don't have room to roam (a fenced in yard) or a human to run with them or take them for a few good walks they will put on weight.

Every dog has it's pros and cons....it's always good to look into them.

Some other things about the beagle...beagles are "pack dogs" they need a "pack" to call family. They need interaction, love and attention from their family. Beagles are not the type of dog that would lead a long, happy life stuck in someone's back yard, alone, for most of the time.

Beagles are intelligent but stubborn. They can learn many commands that they will ignore when their nose gets the best of them... We have a saying about beagles "when their nose turn on their ears turn off."

On the "pro" side beagles are incredibly loyal and loving, good with kids of all ages (I can attest to that). Some beagles (again there are always exceptions to the rules) are good with other pets, including other dogs.

Good luck finding the right dog! I did much research after we decided to get a dog and a beagle was a great fit for our family and vice versa :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi there, and welcome.
Let me start by saying that after you read all of our tales, if it sounds good to you, you are making the perfect decision by taking a beagle.
I have Chloe, she is 8 months old. I love her to death (obviously).
Chloe is not a barky dog. She will bark at very strange people that she is suspicious of, or to sudden noises she doesn't know. Other than that she is very quiet. When I take her to the park and she howls, everyone there will start to cheer, because her howl is like music.... I love it.
About the tendency to gain weight: well, beagles are meant to roam and run around, following scents. When they don't have that option, and they are not being exercised, they will just turn to be couch potatoes. They love to eat, anything you give them (some are picky but most aren't). If you keep them on a balanced schedule of meals, they should be fine.
Here is my baby (not a perfect picture, but just for you to see her figure):

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you very much.
now i have another question, is getting a female a problem? i know she has a period each year that all the dogs run after her... is it serious? do i need to avoid something?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Getting a female is no problem if you spay her. If you aren't planning to breed her, spaying is the best way to go as it prevents the going into heat and helps to prevent mammary tumors, etc.

It's been my personal experience that spayed females are easier to train and more eager to please than males, but every dog is different.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I second Sandy's reply... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I just want to add that if you are not a breeder who intends to enrich and develop the breed, you should spay her. There are so many pure breed dogs in pounds and shelters, and many of them suffer from genetic health issues.
In the case of breeders, every litter is approved by the AKC/UKC/ whichever.... and this is to prevent breeding within the same bloodline, family of dogs, thus minimizing health problems.

All in all, I am all for females :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. Do you live in Serbia or Israel?
We have always had beagles and the only trouble with barking has been with our present two. They are ex research beagles so spent 5 years in hell before they were rescued. Snoopy barks like mad as soon as we take him for a walk. Both Snoopy and Susi are quiet at home.Unless you wish to breed then please have your bitch (if you get one) spayed. Otherwise she'll come on heat twice a year for a total of 6 weeks, no fun I can tell you. Beagles are loving hounds, excellent family dogs but stubborn. Also one cant walk them without a lead, as their hunting instincts make them 'switch off' and they can go missing for hours or end up dead on a road.
Weight doesnt have to be a problem. With correct diet they remain slim and active. Good luck and please keep us up to date.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
As for a beagles weight, that is up to you. People food will plump a beagle up easily, but then so will lack of exercise. If you control its diet and keep treats and people food to reasonable levels, you should be fine.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I wanted a female dog because I am female...crazy rationale, I know.

Females will also go into heat about twice a year not once. I debated having Abby spayed and not having her spayed. I didn't really make up my mind until right before the time of her second heat. Spaying her was the right thing to do. I can't deal with the thought of her accidently getting pregnant when there are so many dogs out there that don't have forever families.

Abby is a 15" beagle and currently weighs 32lbs. Vet said she should be 27lbs. It's all my fault because I had a rough last trimester of pregnancy and wasn't able to run/walk with her like I should have. We're working on getting her "girlish" figure back now :lol2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
This was taken off a wonderful beagle rescue site.

Maybe it will help you make a decision.

Beagles are wonderful dogs. They appeal to millions of families for several reasons:

They are medium-sized dogs
They are short-haired, and although they do shed, their coats are relatively low-maintenance.
They are great as a family dog; good with children and other pets.
Despite the qualities listed above, beagles are not for everyone. Please refer to the list below.

I want a dog that will jog next to me and play and chase a frisbee off lead without running away.

DO NOT GET A BEAGLE
Beagles are scent hounds and that makes them liable to chase off after a scent at any time! Often called 'stubborn', it may really be more their 'persistence' or 'single-mindedness' that keeps them from being easily-trained...and from coming when called. We recommend that beagles not be let off-lead outside unless in an area that is completely fenced. They are programmed to chase prey and will do so if given the opportunity. In addition, most beagles really don’t like water and are not normally swimmers. If you want a retriever, get a Golden!

I want a dog that is easy to train and lives to obey me.

DO NOT GET A BEAGLE
Beagles can be stubborn and often do things on their terms. This single-mindedness usually keeps them out of the obedience winner’s circle. The standard choke chain, jerk-and-release method does not work well with beagles. A positive reinforcement method (i.e. clicker training) works wonders because food or other desired items are used as praise. Of course, with appropriate training and time, beagles can be well-behaved.

I want a dog I can train if I’m willing to put some time and effort into the training.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
As stated above, beagles can be difficult to train, but it certainly can be done. Beagles do well at agility competitions. They run, jump, and crawl with the best of them. Have you heard of the Beagle Brigade? They are beagles used by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to sniff out illegal animal and plant products being brought into this country. Since sniffing is something beagles like to do, they’re good at it!

I want a pup that is easy to housetrain.

YOU MAY NOT WANT A BEAGLE
While adult beagles are easier to housetrain than beagle pups, they still can be slow to pick up the concept. Beagle pups are sometimes difficult to housetrain because of their single-mindedness and their extremely powerful noses. It is very difficult to remove the smell of urine from a carpet to the point where the beagle pup cannot smell it. The pup, if it smells urine, will continue to return to that spot

I want a pup that can be housetrained.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
Again, beagles are not necessarily the easiest dogs to housetrain, but they are well suited to crate training, and that may be one of the best forms/ways of house training. We'll be happy to give you some tips and advice on crate training your dog.

Return to top

I want a dog that will play with my kids and me.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
Beagles are energetic by nature. Beagles generally love children. They are a hearty hunting breed that, for hundreds of years, have spent hours following prey. They are ready, willing, and able to play with you and/or your children in a controlled area (like a fenced-in back yard). And they’re good at devising games for your entertainment like "keep the ball away from Mom/Dad".

I want a dog that is quiet and unassuming.

DO NOT GET A BEAGLE
Beagles can be VERY vocal and are rarely wallflowers! They may bay loudly when they catch a scent while on a walk or in the backyard. They often bay when playing with other dogs! They also can bay when you’re not home. This trait causes the most problems for people who share walls with others, i.e., townhouse and apartment dwellers. Most beagles are quite gregarious, outgoing, and playful. If you’re looking for a dog that lies quietly at your feet while you’re entertaining, a beagle, at least a young one, is not for you!

I want a dog that is lively and confident.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
Welcome to a beagle’s world: These guys and gals are generally busy exploring their world (even if they just smelled it an hour ago). They’ll investigate anything and everything. They’ll bring you their “finds” with tail wagging and butt swinging

I want a dog that doesn’t get in trouble in the house.

YOU MIGHT NOT WANT A BEAGLE
Most adult beagles can be left out during the day while you are at work...however you need to keep certain things in mind. First, if there is a trash can to explore, they will find it! Also, beagles are notorious counter-surfers...meaning you can’t leave food unattended! Also, beagles are not the kind of dog who eats until they’re full. They eat until they explode! You cannot free-feed a beagle!

I want a dog that can be left at home while I’m at work or out of the house.

YOU MIGHT WANT A BEAGLE
In this day and age most families are gone from their homes, to work or school, almost every day. Beagles (or any dog for that matter) are safer and happier if they are crate trained. This is a new concept to some folks, but we highly recommend you do crate train any dog you may be considering. Beagles are generally quite adaptable and can be crate trained as easily as any breed. We would be happy to discuss the merits of crate training with you.

I want a guard dog.

As we’ve stated before, beagles are scent hounds, used for hunting. While they have very musical voices, it’s unlikely they would “scare” a potential intruder. You (and your neighbors) might know someone was breaking into your home, but the burglar would be as likely to be licked to death as attacked by your beagle. This quality makes them great pets, but not aggressive guard dogs.

I want a dog that enjoys the company of people and other dogs.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
Beagles are natural pack animals and love to hang out with people, other dogs, and other beagles. Keep in mind, though, that twice as many beagles mean twice as much trouble and twice as much love!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome aboard!
All beagles WILL BARK AT SOME POINT!!!! It depends on the dog, but in my case beagles will continuously bay, bark, and howl unless you train them otherwise. My beag, Derby, barks continuously at the neighbors or when he's roughhousing with my lab, Cowboy. The most widely known method of bark control is bark control collars. If you don't wanna get a shock collar since it hurts just a little, then you can try a citronella spray collar. It sprays citronella in their face when they bark coz they don't like citronella. Although, it got awful reviews on PETsMART.com, so I got a shock collar that just inflicts a mild tingle, so it doesn't really "hurt" them.
Hope this helps /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
~ Russell

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by maremick&gracie:
This was taken off a wonderful beagle rescue site.

Maybe it will help you make a decision.

Beagles are wonderful dogs. They appeal to millions of families for several reasons:

They are medium-sized dogs
They are short-haired, and although they do shed, their coats are relatively low-maintenance.
They are great as a family dog; good with children and other pets.
Despite the qualities listed above, beagles are not for everyone. Please refer to the list below.

I want a dog that will jog next to me and play and chase a frisbee off lead without running away.

DO NOT GET A BEAGLE
Beagles are scent hounds and that makes them liable to chase off after a scent at any time! Often called 'stubborn', it may really be more their 'persistence' or 'single-mindedness' that keeps them from being easily-trained...and from coming when called. We recommend that beagles not be let off-lead outside unless in an area that is completely fenced. They are programmed to chase prey and will do so if given the opportunity. In addition, most beagles really don’t like water and are not normally swimmers. If you want a retriever, get a Golden!

I want a dog that is easy to train and lives to obey me.

DO NOT GET A BEAGLE
Beagles can be stubborn and often do things on their terms. This single-mindedness usually keeps them out of the obedience winner’s circle. The standard choke chain, jerk-and-release method does not work well with beagles. A positive reinforcement method (i.e. clicker training) works wonders because food or other desired items are used as praise. Of course, with appropriate training and time, beagles can be well-behaved.

I want a dog I can train if I’m willing to put some time and effort into the training.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
As stated above, beagles can be difficult to train, but it certainly can be done. Beagles do well at agility competitions. They run, jump, and crawl with the best of them. Have you heard of the Beagle Brigade? They are beagles used by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to sniff out illegal animal and plant products being brought into this country. Since sniffing is something beagles like to do, they’re good at it!

I want a pup that is easy to housetrain.

YOU MAY NOT WANT A BEAGLE
While adult beagles are easier to housetrain than beagle pups, they still can be slow to pick up the concept. Beagle pups are sometimes difficult to housetrain because of their single-mindedness and their extremely powerful noses. It is very difficult to remove the smell of urine from a carpet to the point where the beagle pup cannot smell it. The pup, if it smells urine, will continue to return to that spot

I want a pup that can be housetrained.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
Again, beagles are not necessarily the easiest dogs to housetrain, but they are well suited to crate training, and that may be one of the best forms/ways of house training. We'll be happy to give you some tips and advice on crate training your dog.

Return to top

I want a dog that will play with my kids and me.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
Beagles are energetic by nature. Beagles generally love children. They are a hearty hunting breed that, for hundreds of years, have spent hours following prey. They are ready, willing, and able to play with you and/or your children in a controlled area (like a fenced-in back yard). And they’re good at devising games for your entertainment like "keep the ball away from Mom/Dad".

I want a dog that is quiet and unassuming.

DO NOT GET A BEAGLE
Beagles can be VERY vocal and are rarely wallflowers! They may bay loudly when they catch a scent while on a walk or in the backyard. They often bay when playing with other dogs! They also can bay when you’re not home. This trait causes the most problems for people who share walls with others, i.e., townhouse and apartment dwellers. Most beagles are quite gregarious, outgoing, and playful. If you’re looking for a dog that lies quietly at your feet while you’re entertaining, a beagle, at least a young one, is not for you!

I want a dog that is lively and confident.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
Welcome to a beagle’s world: These guys and gals are generally busy exploring their world (even if they just smelled it an hour ago). They’ll investigate anything and everything. They’ll bring you their “finds” with tail wagging and butt swinging

I want a dog that doesn’t get in trouble in the house.

Most adult beagles can be left out during the day while you are at work...however you need to keep certain things in mind. First, if there is a trash can to explore, they will find it! Also, beagles are notorious counter-surfers...meaning you can’t leave food unattended! Also, beagles are not the kind of dog who eats until they’re full. They eat until they explode! You cannot free-feed a beagle!

I want a dog that can be left at home while I’m at work or out of the house.

YOU MIGHT WANT A BEAGLE
In this day and age most families are gone from their homes, to work or school, almost every day. Beagles (or any dog for that matter) are safer and happier if they are crate trained. This is a new concept to some folks, but we highly recommend you do crate train any dog you may be considering. Beagles are generally quite adaptable and can be crate trained as easily as any breed. We would be happy to discuss the merits of crate training with you.

I want a guard dog.

As we’ve stated before, beagles are scent hounds, used for hunting. While they have very musical voices, it’s unlikely they would “scare” a potential intruder. You (and your neighbors) might know someone was breaking into your home, but the burglar would be as likely to be licked to death as attacked by your beagle. This quality makes them great pets, but not aggressive guard dogs.

I want a dog that enjoys the company of people and other dogs.

CONSIDER A BEAGLE
Beagles are natural pack animals and love to hang out with people, other dogs, and other beagles. Keep in mind, though, that twice as many beagles mean twice as much trouble and twice as much love!
Wow this is a great list, a definite must for possible beagle owners!
Judi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts