Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we are the proud owners of Lilley the beagle puppy. She is 5 months old today and we have had her since just before Christmas. She joins our family of 4 kids, 2 cats and 3 y/o Eskie, Shelby. It was a rough start at first for Shelby to adjust but now her and Lilley are the best of friends...she even shares her spot sleeping in the sun with her!

I think the problem I am seeking advice on is probably going to turn into needing help for Shelby though. Shelby has always had this sort of food agression. She wont bite or snap when the cats or small children, small I mean ones that crawl are around but she always growled. We always just told her no and that was pretty much the end of it. I think Lilley seeing this is making her do it now, except Lilley does not do it to people. She does it to Shelby. I have just noticed her doing this today. Shelby and Lilley eat 2 different foods and we feed them in two different bowls at the same time. Shelby wants Lilleys food and this morning Lilley really growled, snapped and showed her teeth to Shelby. How do we stop this? Beagles are not agressive dogs and we will not allow this behavior! What if she does this to a child? Our one year old sits on the floor by her side when she eats, he thows the food out of the bowl onto the floor and Lilley likes to chase it and eat it, it's their little game. What if she turns?

There was one other incident to, not involving food. Shelby is the top dog around here, she thinks my husband is god or something. He gets up in the morning or comes in from work and she is very vocal and crazy. Lilley is now doing the same but she is also growling and trying to dominate Shelby.

Is this normal? Is she just trying to find her place in the family? What can we do to stop her from doing this?

Thank you so much!
Amy

·
Registered
229 Posts
We only have one dog so maybe others here who have more than one will be able to give better advice. However, I think that regarding the food aggression perhaps you could try feeding them in different rooms so that she does not get in the habit of defending her food and maybe also try making her sit before you give her her food so that she understands that the food comes from you and is not her right.

As far as the growling with your other dog, it sounds like you're right and that she is just trying to find her place in the pack. My uncle has 3 dogs and says that there are squabbles where they try to reorganize the pack a couple times a year but the alpha just puts them in their place and they move on. Perhaps people with more than one dog can let you know whether it is ok to just let them work it out on their own or if you need to step in and do something.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have 2 greyhounds and Molly my beagle who is 3. They are all rescues and I had the greys first.

They all have separate feeding stations and I always stand over them. Molly tends to be a beagle-piggy and will gobble her food and then try to get it from the big boys. Its important that the food stealer knows its not right but also that the dogs who are eating no it is unacceptable to snap. I have my three trained so that I can remove anything from their mouths, put my hand near their bowls etc.

Since you have a puppy and an established dog, the puppy is the new comer and learning the rules and boundaries. If Shelby gives a quick growl for Lilley to back away, watch the reaction from Lilley. If she pushes on forward or stares at Shelby, then she may be trying to up herself in the pack. If Shelby shows teeth and stares during the growl, then Shelby needs to be corrected by you.

I hope that helps, I'm sure I can add more to this but my brain is tired. Basically in my house Andy (the grey) is alpha dog and Molly and Jake are submissive to him. Only Jake will challenge Andy and it gets pretty snarly so we stand up and reprimand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I think I need to make my post more clear. Shelby (older dog) she growls at Lilley (puppy) during feeding time or attention time. We just tell Shelby no and it stops. Lilley as of this morning started growling at Shelby and showing her teeth to her. It only happened one time but I want to stop it immediately. I thought to seperate them during feeding time but that only makes Lilley go crazy, scratch the doors if she is outside, she body slams the door, etc. Right now Lilley is a crazy maniac....love her to death but she is just going nuts with jumping on people, play biting. etc. It all comes with puppyhood I know but it's getting difficult trying to train her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! Not sure if you are familiar with the Nothing in Life is Free training concept but here is a link to some information that may help:

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/nilif.pdf

Lilley sounds quite normal and you will see references to your specific concerns in this article (and there are many more helpful articles on the NILIF website).

·
Registered
421 Posts
when sophie bites me, (out of excitement, never anger)
i just say no and she stops. on the rare occasion when she doesn't, i bite her back

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
During last nights feeding I put Shelby's food down then stood by her and as Lilley tried to get it I said sit and when she went to go at it again I said No and sit. This seemed to work. Then when I fed Lilley, Shelby tried one time to go after it and I told her no and that's all she needed and she was on her way.

This morning I tried the same thing. Lilley is not too happy about this today. She's so dramatic, she started to howl. We were wondering how long until she did this, well it started!! Now she thinks she's cool and she's howling at everything, even when I walk out of the room, this is going to drive me crazy....I have a baby with seperation anxiety now a puppy???? Oh, well she's a keeper so we'll deal with it, at least she's not a chewer!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

You are just gong through the typical puppy and newcomer stages. You seem to have it under control. Keep working on it and they will take care of themselves after a while.

FYI: Chewing comes later.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome! I have a 15 month old Cocker and a 9 month old Beagle. They both get the same food but if i feed them together there is growling and teeth showing and all sorts of fun! I feed one dog in the laundrey and the other in the spare room. Doors are closed and neither can get to each other so that they can eat in peace. The dogs aren't stressed at meal time and neither am I.

I always seperate them when they are having bones aswell. One in the front yard the other in the backyard. My two are inseperable and totally adore each other but food can come between any dog and their best doggy mate.

Play it safe and feed in seperate rooms.

Got any photo's of the new addition?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts