Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we are new to beagles. We almost got one when we were looking for our first dog, but a friend who used to have a beagle told us about how their beagle chewed a lot and got many ear infections ( personally, I remember the dog looking more like a Border Collie, but ear infections aren't common in that breed), and that was why they put him down. So, we got Daisy from the shelter. Daisy was said to be an American Eskimo mix by the shelter, but we found out that she was actually a Border Collie. Anyways, years latter, I am looking for a show dog, and come across an add for a Beagle who has been shown a few weeks ago, and if things work out, he'll be coming to live with us this year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome! I am knew to beagles also. Our beagle was found by husband out in -20 degree weather.

I also show great danes! Good luck with your new addition and in the ring!

ETA: I would much rather have an itty bitty beagle that chews than a great dane. LOL!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
They actually put him down for chewing and ear infections?

Every dog, especially puppies, chew! they are teething and it's perfectly normal, it's a shame that instead of dealing with it and teaching the dog what is right and what's wrong, they just gave up.

Anyways, that's not your fault.... so,

·
Registered
605 Posts
Welcome To BW! Kudos on your pound puppy...my boy Henry is actually a beagle/german shepherd mix. Good luck on your new family member!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Welcome. I think many would agree that while Beagles may chew - most dogs do when they are young. As for ear infections - well it is usually a problem with a food allergy that causes that and it is something that once the cause is determined it can be handled with out to much trouble. Poor dog. I'm sure glad my parents didn't have me PTS because of the few medical issues I've had!

Beagles are awesome dogs. We will all agree that they can be mischievous at times and stubborn, but there good qualities far outweigh their bad. I think you will find that they can become addicting - be careful or you will end up with multiple ones like many of us. lol

I hope your new little member of the family arrives soon. Welcome again and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Welcome to BW! We are from Denton and both my beagles are from the Ft. Worth area. They were shown for a bit - beauty school drop outs
Will you be showing the dog? Can't wait to see pics of the new addition!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome to BW! Hope everything works out and you'll be getting your new beagle soon! Be sure to post some pictures for us!!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Welcome!

Beagles are awesome dogs, I wouldn't trade our three for anything in the world. In fact, I could see us with maybe one more, make it a nice even numbered pack...

Can't wait to see pics of your new addition!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome. It's a shame that you were given such info about beagles. They are great dogs and I can't see myself not having one in my life. I hope that your new addition works out wonderfully for you.

I won't get myself started on the fact that your friends put their dog down because he chewed and had ear infections.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts