Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a Long Hair Chihuahua. So far her and Snoopy seem to get along pretty well. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or tips on having 2 dogs and helping them get along. Especially in a situation where one is much smaller than the other. Thanks for the help.

Daniel

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Congrats.

My advice: Let them sort things out for themselves. Your job, stop any food bowl theft and break up any fights before bloodshed ensues (and try to avoid getting bit yourself). Hopefully you have a smooth transition.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Daniel,

I wouldn't interfere if there is no fighting or any other special issues. If you're worried about the size, just watch them - if one is hurt, they other one with know.

·
Registered
890 Posts
For several years we had Tucker (large Beagle) and Jasmine (12 lb Chihuahua/Terrier mix). Tucker would try to intimidate Jasmine when it came to food so we had to feed them seperately. He also would try to guard the kitchen when someone was cooking so we had to ban him from there when he did that. We just learned to watch Tucker for signs that he was going to pounce on Jasmine. The biggest one is that he would stare at Jasmine. When he did that we would try to break his focus and nothing would happen. I will admit that sometimes Jasmine would actually start the fights. With Tucker having a 30+ lb weight advantage and being 10 years younger, we didn't let them settle things out on their own. Jasmine was 17 and had COPD so we were afraid that she really could get hurt.

I would watch them around food and if they do get in a fight, try to watch for what started it so you can learn to distract them when the signs appear.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Congrats on the new dog! We also have a GSD/Husky (Emma) and usually let the two of them work out whatever issues they have. Caesar is the one who starts most fights and Emma will usually just sit on him until he quiets down. They are more like bickering siblings. There has only been a few times that we've had to break up a fight and pull her off of him. If you ever have to break up a fight don't remove one from the room immediatley. Our trainer told us that all dogs must stay in the area together until they have calmed down, just keep them separated. It's a pack thing. Anyone else hear of this?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I agree with Joe. When we brought Casie home, part of the agreement in keeping him was that Cobi approve. Cobi is a bigger beagle or was then. He was 6 when Casie arrived, and Casie was 15 months...a little different. We weren't sure that Cobi could be a big bro as he's pretty much been IT since Chipper passed.
But over the year that Casie has been with us...they've had their spats, they've growled, wrestled and yipped at each other. Casie will bite at Cobi's ears, feet, tail whatever he can get and then get out of the way. But when one is sick or not feeling great, they will guard and protect each other --- to the point of not letting us sit on the floor or couch by the sickie.
They snuggle together when they sleep, and share barks at the birds and cats. Casie is still the rabbit hunter, Cobi thinks it's too much work even to bark at them. So as Joe said, they'll work it out. If it gets too physical where one is actually hurting the other, then it's time to revamp....but it's a new member to the pack, and they'll vie for order....be cool and let them take it on...unless of course it's ruthless. Have fun and good luck, we can't imagine living with just one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.