Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance and I just adopted our first beagle almost a month ago! He is 2 years old and is house broken, but lately he has been peeing during the night. He never wakes us up to tell us that he needs to go outside and we don't know what to do! He never pees inside while we are at work (which is a longer time period then at night) so we don't understand why he is doing it at night! We have another dog that I have had for about 8 years now and she was also house broken when I got her, so I've never had to potty train a dog before. Does anyone have any idea as to why he is doing this and what we can do to stop it!?!? Thanks!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
He could have a urinary tract infection. Have your vet check for that. Also, try removing his water bowl a couple of hours before bedtime and make sure his bed is clean, clean, clean to eliminate any telltale odors that might "encourage" him during the night.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I'll ask the obvious first, what time of night do you take him out before going to bed? Do you have a garden (back yard)? I go out into the yard with our two and sometimes stand there for 30 mins before they pee. Eventually they oblige and then we go to bed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We take him out around 11 or 11:30 and he typically goes at least 2 times!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Where is he whizzing? If he is doing it in his sleeping place, he may not be aware (Like human bedwetting) and it might suggest a physical problem that is best ruled out by a trip to the vets. If the Bagel can't wake me and can't hold it he would go near the door out back. It has never been urine and only maybe twice in nine plus years but I know he tried to wake me and didn't succeed! If it happen more frequenty, I teach Bagel to ring a bell or something that would wake me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have Mizu on a schedule. His last potty break is 10pm during the week and 11-midnight on the weekends. He knows that when we take him out its time to pee. We go out and we are right back in. He can hold it till 730ish am. After that he starts to whine a bit. Also when we were potty training him the beginning we would put a new fresh towel in his crate he'd pee like 5 times. So we did away with the towels and he stopped peeing in there. Instead he sleeps on his oversized stuffed dog, frog, or bone.
Sometimes he will walk over to where his leash is hanging and look up at it. A sign to tell me he has to potty. (just kidding ..I WISH!!!)
It took us about 3 1/2 months to get him on a schudule.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts