Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of questions for all you Beagle owners out there. We are 1% away from getting a new Beagle puppy. We've never had this breed before. We have a Lab now who is the perfect lab. I wanted to know how a Beagle would fit in with a lab and two children aged 7 and 8. Training will not be a problem as we did a pretty good job with our lab, but I've heard about the howling/barking. Will this be an issue because of the breed or is that just from poor training and disclipline? I don't want a silent dog, but I don't want a dog that will constantly howl/bark when it's outside. We will be putting a fence up. We have an acre in the back, and our first dog wouldn't run away so we never fenced it up, but with a Beagle I feel we should. Does anyone know how Beagles are with invisible fences? To fence in an acre is a lot more money then an invisible fence. Thanks.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome! Beagles and Labs get along amazing together, there are a few lab/beagle families here and they will testify to that

The howling thing is very subjective, and there are a lot of Beagles that actually don't even howl for the first few months and years. There is a thread here about howling, so you can read about the other members Beagles and opinions.

We will probably all say that Beagles are the most amazing breed, but you'll have to decide that for yourself based on research and how it will fit with your family.

Good luck, and when you get the pup, we want pictures!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've said yes to a particular pup now and just put my deposit in the mail - argh!!!!! He is 15 days old right now and we will go and see him in a couple of weekends. He started walking a couple of days ago so in a few weeks when we visit he should be up and about and nosing into everything.

I did read the howling topic and I'm not overly concerned. I'm more concerned about the running away and I'm not a fan of invisible fences... guess this puppy is going to cost us more because we have to install a fence. Oh well.

I would love to hear feedback on families with labs that introduced Beagles into the house.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I want to answer about the runaway thing. Yes, I agree it's frustrating, probably the most frustrating thing about owning a Beagle, but I wouldn't even consider it to be close to being a deal breaker. There are ways to work with it, and it's not the end of the world. Beagles worth every dime you'll put into building that fence

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I already know it will be worth every penny. Getting any new dog, faults and all, there isn't a deal breaker. I'M SO EXCITED!!! I've emailed pictures to all my friends and I can't wait to let our children know that we decided yes to getting a new dog. Now, instead of asking, Can we get a puppy, it will be, When is our new puppy coming home!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
When we got Duke last July, we had two older yellow labs. Both great dogs that we had trained since pups, but we needed a smaller breed and chose a beagle as the perfect fit. They are. Duke got along great with the labs and when we lost our 13 y/o lab, Roscoe, we got another beagle, Violet, who also does well with Cassie, our 12 y/o (though Cassie can be a bit possesive and bossy and grumpy at times....she's old!).

Labs and beagles make great companions, because a beagle is a smaller dog that thinks and acts more like a big dog. We never had howling issues with either one and though Vi is more vocal, it's still very managable.

The ONLY work of advice I will give you is about training a beagle vs. a lab. Very different. Very, very, very different. Labs are naturally obedient dogs who's mission is to please you by doing everything you want. A beagle's mission is to think about whether what you want pleases them, then acting accordingly.LOL

Duke was harder to train than the labs (Vi was full-grown when we got her and pretty well trained, but she can still be stubborn). But, once I realized that they don't train quite the same way and changed my methods, things clicked. You have to be very positive in a beagle's training and very consistant and patient. They are very smart dogs and do train well, just have to use different methods than you do with labs. Duke and Violet are fun and entertaining and we wouldn't know what to do without them.

Like Eleanor said, that beagle will be worth building a fence for. They are fun and loving and cute and smart and have so much personality! Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to making sure your new family member is secured.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Putting up a fence is the best thing for owning a beagle. Once they get on a scent, they go deaf as a post. For the most part, forget about walking one off-leash.

Labs, beagles, and kids... all go great togther. No worries there.

Howling/barking... depends greatly on the dog and its enviroment.

Training a beagle is not like training a lab. Labs are VERY compliant by nature. Beagles are independent thinkers, sometimes called stubborn. You give them a command and they consider obeying it or not. Be patient and have treats at the ready.

Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I'm in for a great time, aren't I? I'm the one who's at home all day, so training will be done by me mostly. I throughly enjoyed training Charlie. My husband would come home each day to see he had learnt something new. Crawl and speak were by far the most favorite to teach and show. I'm guessing that I can still train in the same way, but I will have to have more patience. One week of training a lab to do something might be three weeks of training a Beagle, that sort of thing? So long as I'm consistent, full of praise, and have treats in my hand, I should be set, right? I'm speaking out loud trying to convince myself that it will be alright. Watch this space... and I'm sure that once the puppy comes home, (15th November), I will be back on here asking for advice. Please bear with me! Thanks. Zookeeper, I'm sorry you lost your lab, and since discussing at home about getting a puppy, it's become quite apparent that Charlie has about three/four/five years left and it's already upsetting. I'm so glad that children/labs/beagles fit together.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Call me silly if you will, but how do you put an image up on this? The only thing I see is to do the non floating image, left, right or center etc... but when I click it, it asks me to put in a http.www address. I have just a picture saved on my desktop. ?????

·
Registered
158 Posts
Originally Posted By: GindyheadOH MY GOODNESS!!! I'm in for a great time, aren't I?
Look at it this way - people will be SO much more impressed to see a well-trained Beagle than a well-trained lab that it will feel worth all the effort!!

And I'm only half joking - I was out cycling with my beag a couple of weeks ago and actually got stopped by a some people want to compliment me on what a well-behaved Beagle she was!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: GindyheadCall me silly if you will, but how do you put an image up on this? The only thing I see is to do the non floating image, left, right or center etc... but when I click it, it asks me to put in a http.www address. I have just a picture saved on my desktop. ?????
Use the file manager to upload files directly from your computer. Make sure that they are not heavier than 100k and are within the size limits (640x480 pix on the boards and 1024x768 pix on the large photo).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, ignore what I just wrote. Didn't realise that once I clicked submit the pics would show up. So, did I pick a cutie???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He doesn't have a name yet but yesterday my 6 year old had a baby naming book and she was running around the house saying, Come on Charlie, come on Bailey, come here Charlie, come here Brody. She needed to make sure that a new dog's name would go with our dog Charlie's name. The list so far is Bailey, Brody and Chester.

·
Registered
366 Posts
He is soooooo adorable

·
Registered
47 Posts
OMG!!! What sweetheart little poopie, lol

I know I'm late to this but just to answer your original questions ... Beagles are not generally big barkers unless they're in a pack situation ... They are incredably intelligent, so do tend to get bored easily. Mine hate being in the yard if I'm not either physically in the yard with them or at least in their sight (they're ok if I'm downstairs and can stick my head out the window to check on them). If I'm around, they're quiet, and tend to ignore distractions. If I'm not around and they're left unsupervised for any length of time, they become booger barkers and can really become quite the nuisance!
As for the Lab, the Beagle pup (who is sooooo adorable) should transition quickly. They just thrive with other dogs and kids!!!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts