Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going tonight to pick up my new little beagle girl. I already posted a question regarding how to introduce a new pet. The owners were supposed to bring her to me, but now I have to go get her.
So now that the original meeting plan has changed,
should I bring along my 2 boys or should I leave them at home and do the intro at home like planned?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm no expert but I would think maybe it would be better for the boys to meet her at the house. It's a much more controlled environment. I'm sure they're gonna be excited and she's gonna be scared. The car might not be the best place for them to meet her. I guess it would also depend on how old your boys are. That's just my opinion. I'm sure you'll get plenty of posts in the next couple hours from much more experienced dog owners. I'm still a rookie beagle owner. The people on here are great and I can't tell you how much they helped me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I actually think the opposite, Ryan.

I think that meeting on neutral grounds is better, so that there is no territory issue. Also, before entering the house, walking around the block with all 3 and walking into the house as if it's the most natural thing in the world, would help make things smoother.

I'm not sure how old the new addition is, but usually the younger they are, the easier it will probably be.

Good luck, and we're waiting for pictures!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
First of all, good luck - can't wait to see pictures!

As for the introduction, I think whatever you do try to avoid having the new beagle just come into your home without having had the boys meeting her first in somewhat neutral territory - even if it is just outside your home. I think it could work whether the boys come along with you to meet her (assuming they are okay for that length of car ride and won't therefore be stressed - not sure about the logistics) or wait at home to meet her when you get back. Either way just be sure to let them sniff each other out and get to know each other a bit before putting them together into any confined space like your car, or taking them into your home.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2 year old beagle and a 2 and a half year old basset hound terrier cross. They both LOVE car rides, so I know that will not be an issue. However I will be driving a little over an hour. I am possitive my boys will be okay but I'm not sure about the girl. She is only 1 year old.
What if I put them in 2 separate crates in the car. One for the new baby, and a second for the boys. Maybe that way thet can sniff eachother through the crate but the girl will feel a little safer considering they won't be able to get to her right away.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think that could work - that was very similar to what we did when we picked up our second beagle Moose (although that was a 5 hour car ride). Just be sure that the three of them get to sniff each other (and preferably even go for a little walk together) before they go into the car for the ride back. And then another sniff/walk opportunity before going into your home on the other end.

Good luck - so excited for you!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your boys are dogs?!? Haha. Oops, I thought you were talking about human boys. Then I agree Chloe's Mom because of the territory issue. My mistake. Anyway, I'm sure everything will go fine. Good luck an congrats on the new addition!

·
Registered
959 Posts
We introduced both of our new boys, Cobi and Casie to the previous dog, Chipper in a neutral territory, a park. That way there wasn't the territorial thing going on with either of the dogs. Chipper was surrounded by three pups, one of them being Cobi, whom he picked out right away as our dog. And then a second meeting with just Cobi and Chipper. That went well, Cobi was a puppy about 9 weeks old. When we introduced Cobi and Casie it was in a park,and they were much more eager to meet and sniff than if we would have been in our yard. I vote for neutrality....somehow everyone wins.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I brought home the new addition the Thursday that just passed. What a little sweetie she is. She was so scared at first when I brought her home. I already had prepared for her a crate as a safespot where no other dog can enter. I put her bed and blankets and some toys in there from her previous owners/home. I put her in there so the others can sniff her but not get too close. After about half an hour she wanted out, so at first she was still a little nervous but not nearly as much in the beginning. Now she is so bonded to Snoopy, it's funny. He will take on step and she's right there beside him waging her tail. It's like she has a crush on him!! It's so cute.
She has no more nervousness anymore. I am so happy!!!
I was going to name her Woodstock, but then I changed it to Squeeker because she squeeks really loud with excitement when you come home.
Also, I decided to adopt a German Shorthair Pointer as well. She is so skinny it makes me sad to look at her, so I had to bring her in to bring back to good health. Thay all get along so well it is quite unbelievable!!
I would post pictures, but it's not really working for me. I read the how to section but I still can't get it to work.
Other than that, I am so happy with my new little pack!!!!!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
IvyHouston, Thanks for adopting the two! I'm glad that's two more dogs who have found a happy home.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
So glad to hear it went well with the new beagle girl - love her name too! And another doggy too... sounds like you have quite the household full now!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That's awesome!! I'm so happy Squeeker has found her place in your pack! and a Shorthair, they are so beautiful, I love this breed - so smart too!

You can email me the pictures you want to post, I'll do it for you: [email protected]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love all pups, even the high strung ones like Sula (shorthair pointer)

I know have 4 dogs all under the age of 2 1/2.
I truly enjoy all the commotion as well as I get a really good workout walking all of them!!

I tell you, it's a win-win situation for me!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Glad to hear about your new pack. It really nice that they have all bonded so well and so quickly.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm so glad it worked out for you!!
I think beagles are addicting. We've got two and have been contemplating adding a third. Maybe one of these days!

Love the name!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyThat's awesome!! I'm so happy Squeeker has found her place in your pack! and a Shorthair, they are so beautiful, I love this breed - so smart too!

You can email me the pictures you want to post, I'll do it for you: [email protected]

Thank you so much. I just e-mail you pictures of the 2 boys and the 2 girls. For the life of me, I could not figure out how to post these pictures.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts