Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you are in the same situation I am; no fenced yard with a young Beagle! Henry loves walks and is really good on the leash, but he needs to run sometimes. I take him to parks, baseball fields, basically anyplace I can find fenced in! I live out in the boondocks,though, with lots of meadows and pastures around, so I usually put the harness on him with a long line and let him sniff, run, whatever. Today I tied a small log (about 8 pounds) to the end of his long line, and it worked great! He was able to run and pull the log, and I was able to stay beside him without worrying about the line burning up my hands! Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was worn out for about 45 minutes! Then he started whining for his midday snack. I'm off work today and tomorrow, though, so I'll do it again soon, lol. It was nice, though, not freaking out about dropping the long line, LOL.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kioko LOVES running with a big toy/stick/shoe...something...in her mouth. It wears her out pretty well. We also have no fence, so we got the longest retractable leash we could find and we go to an open park in our neighborhood and run or toss toys back and forth for her to "fetch" after. My daugher is always with me in the mornings, so she and I basically have Kioko running back and forth in relay between us tossing balls and toys for her. She gets lots of collective running in that way.

Having her drag something...that sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm afraid my Maya would still manage to get too far away. She could be a sled dog she is so strong. Her "wandering spirit" is stronger than any dog I've seen before also.

We have to be very careful with open doors at my house. We have a huge back yard, but she still thinks going out in the FREE world is so much better. Thankfully we have always been able to catch her (within 20 mins or so) when she has managed to escape.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Henry has quite the wandering spirit too. Using the log was nice because I was able to stay beside him rather than behind him, so he wasn't thinking, "OO, I'ma run away from Mommy!" We were able to play together, and it was so funny watching him get his zoomies (he's the fastest dog I've ever seen!) with a drag on him. Keep in mind though, guys, Henry is bigger and heavier than most of your beags. He's 23 inches tall and almost 40 pounds. So just be sure to adjust the drag weight. Too much, and they're just stare at you when they hit the weight. Too little, and fast beagle with a small log hurtling behind!

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is a GREAT idea! Hunter loves to run and be a beagle but she can't with out a fenced yard. Might have to take your idea and use it for her!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts