Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our new family member last week, he is 11 weeks old and has mostly settled in well. I have always liked Beagles but the final deciding factor over other breeds on our shortlist was all the reading I did pointed to them being good with cats, we have 2 adult Burmese.

1 week on though and it is not going well. Things have improved slightly but it is not good. The older of the 2 cats can be in the same room and has figured out that high ground rules! The younger is still not happy at all as for the puppy he just chases them both at any opportunity it's not aggressive just play and I was hoping the cats would swipe and put him in his place, sadly though they just run which doesn't help.

My only hope right now is to properly teach him the leave command or hope it just gradually improves as he matures. Does not feel fair on the cats though for it to continue as is for too long.

Any ideas much appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yes the cats have basically the whole upstairs so have plenty of space for now. I am worried about it persisting though as gating off the house not really a long term solution.

Will check out those links, thanks

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
When Agis was a puppy we kept him on a drag line so if he started to chase a cat, we could step in. He still sometimes runs if one of the cats is running by, but he runs all of 2m then stops. It might take a bit for everyone to adjust.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
This is Cassie..she wears a leash most of the time in the house.. you can see it in the picture..you can grab the leash or step on it to get control..
Head Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
When we first rescued Sophie, we gated off a room so that the cats would have a safe place to go. It takes a while for them to become accustomed to one another - remember that your puppy smells like a baby, so the cats are more likely to leave than swipe. When your pup sees a cat, teach him to sit - it will not be easy, but it controls the excitement. It takes a while, but they will learn to get along. Sophie has learned to leave 'new' cats alone (a family member brought theirs over for 'safety' when they were moving) and even sought out one of my cats for comfort when the newbie hissed at her. My guys all play together - they chase Sophie up the hall, she chases them back. My senior (17 year old) cat likes to sleep with her. The younger (who Sophie helped me 'raise' since we found her in a plastic bag in a parking lot as a very young kitten) will occasionally sleep on Sophie, and 'guards' her when Sophie has a seizure. You have to give them an opportunity to figure it out - as long as the cats have a safe place to go to, it will be fine. I agree with keeping the pup on a leash - control is critical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts