Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Amanda and I'm from Utah. My husband and I just got our beagle puppy, Shelby, last week and we just love her. She is 7 1/2 weeks and bites a TON! Not sure how to break her of that habit.. Any ideas, please let me know!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I know a lot of people probably won't agree with this method, but our 15 week old beagles don't bite AT ALL now, even when provoked.

If they would try to bite us - and I mean bite, not mouth - we would grab hold of their jaws so our hands WERE in their mouths but they couldn't bite it and say, NO!

It took a little while, but they won't bite us anymore. Evan's roommate even tries to get them to bite him while playing, but they won't do it. I'm so pleased. I don't want a dog that thinks biting is okay when playing with a person.

--Do remember that Shelby IS young and is just learning bite inhibition....she might be trying to do with you what she did with her siblings?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that it is a puppy thing but i'm the same way-- I don't want her to think biting is ok. My husband read something that said to yelp like a puppy when they bite to scare them then walk away. We've been trying that but she has started to get used to it. I have also tried clamping the jaw shut and saying NO but she has started to think that's a game.
How old would you say did yours stop biting?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Umm....I honestly can't remember. It's been a few weeks. Maybe week 13? That's why putting my hand all the way in their mouths and holding onto their jaws worked. They didn't like that at all - were incredibly uncomfortable with it, and I think it scared them by the look in their eyes.

I tried the yelping thing too, but it didn't do any good. The idea behind what Evan and I did was that any time they tried to bite us, they felt discomfort.

Another suggestion is to just get up and walk away when she bites, but she might be a bit young to understand that?

--note: I found that ignoring the puppies when they were doing bad things gave them the opportunity to pee on the floor or exhibit other unfavorable behavior when I wasn't looking....so I gave up on that one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's definitely true! I don't know that she understands the part about me walking away- she just comes back to bite my feet or bottom of my pants.
I'll tell Kagan that suggestion-i like it, maybe she will learn!

·
Registered
287 Posts
BE CONSISTENT, too! They still nip at our clothes, but I always swat them away when they go at my pants. They used to dig at our crotches too. Evan told me it's because they are getting to our smell. They like to chew on the clothes because it smells like us. Make sure Shelby has plenty of chew toys to chew on!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Welcome and a big aroooo for you Amanda! Welcome to beagleworld! We look forward to hearing good things from you and we want pictures!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Welcome Amanda, glad to see you joined us here. Sorry that you joined at a time of drama (that's quite unusual). Now we can watch even more of the puppies growing up. Leonidas of Sparta are on here and so is Mater's family. I believe he is under Chris M. At any rate...happy to see you here.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Reference the biting, we had the same problems. The best I can offer is be patient and consitent! Do not reinforce the behavior but make sure she learns a firm NO and replace your body parts with a chew toy, I found those bones you freeze to work really well!
Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome to the pack! You can curb the biting rather easy.

When playing with your puppy, if she bites you hard enough to hurt you say ouch loudly, get up and walk away. If she follows you your turn away from her. After maybe 15 seconds go back and resume play and give her an appropriate chew toy. Even if you were going to be done you continue to play. Because now this is a training session. If she bites again you do the same thing. Make sure everyone in the household abides by this same process. Consistency is very important.

Here's the key. You only do this if it really hurts. You can't expect a young puppy to stop altogether. As time goes on you will react the same way with lessor bites. Eventually if you feel her teeth on your skin you'll do the say thing.

No matter what you do, contrary to some other's suggestion, you do not hit your dog. This will only cause your dog to cower from you later in life. It's not necessary at this stage.

Today I can stick my finger's in Bodie's mouth and play with him that way and he won't bite.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions! We are doing our best to stay consistent. There are times when we really have to be harsh about it and she doesn't like it but she will come back and lick us, which, I think, means she understands.
She digs at my crotch as well and I don't know if I punish for that or what..? She usually will try to grab my pants there too, which is when i tell her no..
Thanks again for all the advice, its much appreciated!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Amanda and welcome to BW!

Be patient with her. Patience is the key to success.

Don't forget, Shelby is STILL a baby. Give her some time. She'll grow out of it. They all do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts