Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my wife and I are new beagle parents we also have two wonderful boys. We adopted Diva on Wed at 6 weeks young, this is our first family pet although we both owened dogs before, we are trying crate training also we're transitioning from puppy chow to nutro max, we were adviced to wait until she's 8 weeks for her vaccinations. We are open to any suggestions, advice or comments.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Welcome and congratulations!

We got Cole, our chocolate beagle, that young and we waited for the vaccinations as well.

Patience and consistency are the key, you are in for one heck of a ride but its all worth it, we have 3 beagles

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally Posted By: Diva2009Hi everyone, my wife and I are new beagle parents we also have two wonderful boys. We adopted Diva on Wed at 6 weeks young, this is our first family pet although we both owened dogs before, we are trying crate training also we're transitioning from puppy chow to nutro max, we were adviced to wait until she's 8 weeks for her vaccinations. We are open to any suggestions, advice or comments.
Welcome! I look forward to seeing photos!

I do have to say that more recent info about Nutro has been pretty negative, so I'm not sure it would be a great idea to go with that. We had our puppies on Nutro, but as soon as I began reading the negative reports about it, we switched our dogs to Avoderm. Their waste totally decreased in size, and one of my dogs' coat became a lot smoother after we switched.

Just a word of advice.

FDA Confirms Probe of Nutro Pet Deaths and Illnesses

·
Registered
118 Posts

Welcome to BW!

We also waited until 8 weeks. The research I came across suggested that pups should still be protected by mom's immunities until at least that long, but it's best to start at 8 weeks because they will start to lose their immunities any time after. The shots are given more than once since there is no clear way to know exactly when pups lose mom's immunities and vaccinations are not fully effective until mom's immunities are out of her system. (this is all from memory, so I could be a bit off on the facts, but that's the general idea.)

Our vet has 4 different levels of vaccination combos to choose from. We decided to go with the top level 'Woodsy' combo even though we live in the city. We felt it didn't make any sense to take any chances when we live in WI and have family that live up north on a lake...about as woodsy as it gets! (side note: any WI area to/from transports know if up north is a local colloquialism or if the general idea is the same everywhere?)

Wow, I am really wordy today...sorry everyone!

Welcome again!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
That is disturbing info about Nutro. I just switched my very picky eater to Nutro Ultra and he loves it. Oh dear.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Has he tried Avoderm? I know it's still not terribly high on the rating system, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. We switched ours from Nutro to Avoderm, and they are eating more of it and pooping less!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We've picked up some samples of Natural Balance Ultra premium formula and potato and duck, are these any good?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We had Roscoe on Natural Balance for the longest and he loved it! I don't know what the rating is on it has good ingredients and a variety of foods and treats

We had to stop it b/c Roscoe was having some tummy troubles for awhile and went on that prescription food, in hindsight we realize we didn't have to do that, I would've certainly stayed with Natural Balance if he didn't have those problems (unrelated to the food)

Then we were introduced to Blue Buffalo and all three love it so now we stick with that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts