Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

I just joined today in hopes of getting some knowledge from fellow beagle owners. I just brought my little Archie home on Sunday. He is a tri colered male and is 6 weeks old. We are trying to crate train him but he stays up pretty much all night and barks. I know it has only been 4 days so we still have work to do. If anyone has any advice on crate training and house breaking I would greatly appreciate it. My husband and I have never owed a dog so we could use a little help.

Thanks everyone!! Happy New Year!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome to the pack and congrats.

Your first order of business is to start crate training him. He'll stop the crying in the crate if you ignore him after being put inside. It'll take a few days but it will stop IF you don't keep letting him out or give him any attention while he's in the crate. If you do, you're only prolonging the process.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Welcome and Happy New Year to you too!

You have to just leave him in the crate and ignore him until you are ready to let him out. I know it is hard and it breaks your heart (it did mine anyway) but he will be fine! We had this issue with our Roscoe but after a while, he got the idea!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We do put him in the crate and ignore him but we take him out about 2 times a night to use the restroom. Should we just make him stay in there all night? Its been four nights and there has been no improvement. How long did it take for your dog to quiet down at night?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Here's what I would do. Don't give him any water after 6-7 pm. Take him out for his last potty break at 9-10 pm and then straight to the crate until first thing in the morning. You can put a towel over the crate to limit his view of activity. If he does have an accident that's ok. It takes time to adjust. Again, expect 3-4 days of the crying and whining, but it will stop after this if he learns it's not going to get him any attention.

Also, create a schedule for your dog that the whole family can follow. From morning until night with feeding and potty breaks scheduled. This will help you and the dog all get on the same schedule. We posted ours on the fridge so everyone could see it and abide by it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like to add that 6 weeks is way to young to be without her Mother.usally Puppy's dont leave the Mother before 8weeks.it needs alot of nurtering.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and Archie - can't wait to see some photos.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi and Welcome, Just checking to see how Archie is doing at night. A tee shirt with your scent may help to feel more secure I did this with Scout and it helped. I agree with Brien & Bodie a schedule is the best, their like little children. Hope things are working out. Keep posting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts