Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago, I adopted a beagle who is about a year and a half. His name is Louie. He is very timid and scared of everything. He wouldn't eat at first and he still won't accept treats. In the past week, he started being destructive, tearing up my carpet and digging at my hardwood. I have no idea what kind of training he has (if any). I really don't want to crate him while I'm at work and at night, that's just too much! I thought about getting him a friend since he has enjoyed every other dog he's met so far, but don't want to end up with 2 destroyers. Any advice on traininng a dog that doesn't accept treats and cowers when petted?

·
Registered
896 Posts
The WORST thing to do would be to get another dog while he is still having several behavior issues. They often copy each other and as you said you'd have TWO little destroyers! Have you tried crate training? It's worked for me with every dog except the JRT rescue that I'm now fostering. It may be well worth a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a crate, its a large one too. Not sure what is meant by crate "training." I have been putting him in it over night since he started ripping the carpet. My boyfriend is not able to be with him during the day now and I'm gone for work 11 hrs a day usually. Today I didn't want to leave him in it that long and tried using baby gates to keep him in the kitchen. He jumped/climbed it. I came home and found my carpet in front of the door ripped where I couldn't even open the door.

Training usually involves treats, but he won't take them. Even if I leave it for him in the crate or sitting out. He will only eat his food when no one's around/watching. I do have a small variety of toys for him. Knotted rope, stuffed squeaker, rubber squeaker and nylabone, but he has no interest in them either. Just shies away, tail stuck tight under him. He is terrified of balls as well. When my 2 yr old is playing with his ball in the yard, Louie will squeeze behind me on the swing and shake like washer on spin.

I have no idea how he was treated or what kind of training he has. He does usually come when he's called, but that's the most I get out of him. Other than having ripped up carpet, he's been okay. Haven't had any accidents in the house, which is why I didn't want to get a puppy. I can't be here during the day to house break and my 2 yr old requires a lot of attention as well.

My yard is chain fenced and he has lots of room to run around. I don't leave him out for very long so he doesn't get a chance to dig holes or climb the fence. I take him for long walks when the weathers been nice enough to take the baby in stroller. I've been doing all I could think of. I'd really hate to have to leave him penned up for 18hrs a day total between work and sleep. :sad:

·
Registered
896 Posts
My Beagle is a year old and he is one who would chew up things, and tear up if left home alone. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old though, so he's never had any trauma like your rescue dog most likely has. The being afraid of things sounds like my foster Jack Russell. Those dogs must have been abused? I don't think it's typical behavior for either breed to be timid. I know my Beagle isn't shy or hesitant about anything-in fact he suffers from "overexuberance"which I believe is a Beagle trait! Overeating to the point of literally wolfing down food no matter who is watching also seems to be a Beagle trait, though a few people in this forum do have finnicky Beagles. I can't even relate to that because Dillon almost takes my fingers off to get ANY treat that I give him! If he refused any food item at any time I would know death is near! With you being gone so many hours, he probably gets bored. My yard is chain link and even though Beagles are known escpae artists Dillon never tries to jump over or dig under.( My other dog, Feist, does enough of that for everyone! ) He does,however dig holes-my yard is a mess! I personally don't feel comfortable letting any dog in the yard if I am leaving my home for several hours. Do you have a friend or neighbor who could come and check on him and let him out to potty, midway through your workday? My Beagle is crated for approximately9 and a half hours when I work and he does fine with that. But I only work 4 days a month(retired) and he's been used to that all his life. If he's in the crate while you are gone, the worst thing he could do is urinate and defecate. So that would eliminate the other destructive behavior-if he can tolerate being crated that long. I work second shift and when I get home I let Dillon in the yard for 30 to 45 minutes to potty and run around and then he comes in and we usually go to bed around 1am. He does fine with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I even have to crate him at night when I'm home. Last night I let him stay in my room with me, uncrated and he woke me up several times scratching at my hardwood. I got up and took him out each time thinking he probably had to potty, but he wouldn't do anything. He is a strange one. I have an enclosed porch with a dog door, and if I don't walk out into the yard with him, he's in and out. Early morning, he is a totally different dog. That's the only time I see his tail up and any sort of playfulness in him. He runs around the yard, runs to me and barks like he wants to play, but for me, 4 a.m. is no time for running around the yard!

I'm hoping he will come around to the family. I don't want to rehome him as this is atleast his 3rd home already. He follows me mostly, runs from my 2 yr old. My son is surprisingly good with him though. He loves my parents' Schnauzer which is why we decided to get him a dog of his own. He pets Louie and says "nice" and doesn't pull on his ears. Louie runs from him so I usually gotta "catch" him to hold him still lol.

Louie loves play dates with the Schnauzer too. I take him up on weekends to visit (30 min drive). He wants to play with any other dog that comes by the yard, barks and whines at them. I've had him at the vet for nail clipping 2 days after having him (they were really long) and have an appt set up to get him shots/health evaluation on the 3rd of May as I have no records for him. I will ask them for any suggestions then as well.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts