Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I found this site while I was looking for Beagle information, and you all seem like a friendly bunch of people!

I had a miniature dachshund who passed away recently. I realized quickly that not having a dog around was not going to work. So, I started looking around at different breeds and I was drawn to the Beagle.

Today, I picked up Miss Daisy. She is 10 weeks old, and has been a joy so far save for some whining which is to be expected in a new home. Are there any tips or things I should know to make life easier for Daisy and myself?

I am looking forward to getting to know you all and your Beagle friends.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi,
I'm Eleanor and I'm owned by Chloe.... my 11 months (almost) red/white beagle.
I would suggest at first: Crate training. Get her used to being in a crate so that it would help with damage control, potty training and creat a safe and comfy place for her.
Many would also recommend getting her a big stuffed animal to have as a furry "mommy" in her crate. You can also put a hot bottle under a blaket for her at night and a ticking clock to function as heartbeats...
You had a dog before so it will be easier for you..

Daisy is gorgeous.... I see a potential for a little menace.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Feel free to hop right in...

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Welcome, welcome, welcome! Glad to have you here. Daisy is beautiful!

I'm Jamie, owned by a two and a half year old red & white beagle named Abby.

We brought her home at 3 months so I can relate to where you are now. What I would suggest is crate training right away. Secondly, start "puppy proofing."

Things to expect:
Accidents- accidents WILL happen. Just take it in stride and be consistent in her house training. Do NOT train her to "go" inside on newspaper or puppy pads. Once you allow them to go inside it's very, very difficult to change that behaviour. You may have to get up 3 times a night for a month or so to let her go pee.

Chewing- in about a month or so she will probably start the chewing. Remove from her access EVERYTHING you can that you do not want her to chew on (slippers, shoes, etc) and watch her carefully. Second to house training this is often the hardest thing for puppy owners to deal with...but it DOES pass in a few weeks. Until then offer her many "safe" and "OK" things to chew on, like chew sticks and dog toys.

See you around the boards!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to you and the adorable Miss Daisy! Arroooo!

Unfortunately I will be of absolutely no help to you with advice about your new puppy as we have three beagles but all were adult rescues. You'll find lots of other people here willing to give you lots of good advice, however - and eventually maybe my older dog experiences will be of some use to you too!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome, fellow Georgian! :wave: Daisy's a beautiful little girl. I won't be much help with puppy advice, either, since my Li'l Girl was also an adult rescue. However, there's a wealth of info available from other puppy owners. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome from Maggie and I. Maggie is a little over a year and a half. I got her at 8 weeks. She was an active and inquisitive puppy. I got lots of help and advice from everyone here so just post your questions as they come up. You've had some good suggestions so far. I would be careful with the stuffed animal though. Maggie would have unstuffed it and eaten the stuffing. She still unstuffs toys but now that she is a little older doesn't eat the stuffing, just takes great pleasure in throwing it around the room. Enjoy your puppy!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi and welcome. My sweetie is an 8 month old red and white named Marley.

You will find the best advice here. What to expect ahead of time, EVERYTHING. But just know that whatever you are going through, at least one or more of us have as well.

Start training early.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome. I am Maria and I am owned by Blue (6 months old). We have learned a TON with Blue as he is the first puppy we have had in about 12 years (you tend to forget a lot). This is the best place for advice and I tend to come here when he stresses me out to realize I'm not the only one in that boat. I do agree with the crate training and the puppy proofing. Even with us watching Blue constantly, we have lost two lap top power cords, a small patch of carpet and we have one damaged remote!! ;-) Ahhhh, teething, it is such a wonderful thing!! Good luck with Daisy, she is a beauty.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi there! and welcome to BW!!

I got a 4 month old called Glover and I swear the crate training did some awesome work on him!

other than that I think you got some good adwice!

Daisy is a cutie!!!

x
K

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
:wave: Welcome! I'm new here too, but it's a great group of friendly beagle "nuts". I'm Glenda, the "crazy old beagle lady", who is owned by the beagle tenpack, Princess, Romeo, Chloe, JoJo, Tanna, Lottie, Joe, Jack, Bella and Angel (in pack seniority). They range from almost 8 to 9 months and everything in between.
You'll find lots of good advice here. Please feel free to ask questions - you won't be ignored!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Your little pup is beautiful! I had a beloved English Cocker spaniel for 12 years named Daisy, so the name is especially dear to me. I'm sure your girl will bring you as much joy as mine did in the years to come.
Sniffs from Henry

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh what a beautiful girl you have. A big welcome to BW. Just looking at her eyes makes me realise she will soon be the boss in your home! Keep the pictures coming.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts