Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Found these forums on google. They look great! I just got my first Beagle from a local humane society last night. In the past I have owned Great Danes and a couple of Pit Bull mixes. I totally fell in love with little Oscar as soon as I layed eyes on him. He's about a year old. He was abused quite badly in his past life. He is quite timid but has opened up much more in the last day being at home than he did at the shelter. He's nervous around men, doesn't like metal dog bows, and is a little leary around doors. I realize I am getting into a lot adopting him, but he is very sweet and is already coming out and being a happy little boy. He loves laying in bed with a rawhide bone and relaxing. My boyfriend lives with me and Oscar cuddled up and slept next to him last night. He's friendly to him but isn't ready to let his guard down quite yet. He doesn't seem to have any formal training, but we've been establishing a routine for going outside and so far have no accidents in the house.

You'll probably be hearing lots of questions from me about training and such! I look foward to chatting with everyone /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome Oscar's Mom :wave:

I've had alot of questions and concerns about my beagles also and this sight has really helped me out...

Oscar sounds like he's found his guardian angel.. Give his lots of tummy rubs and kisses.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It will take Oscar some time to shed all that rescue baggage but you each day, will see the more of the real beagle emerge. I can tell you, it is a real joy to see a rescue come out of their timid, leery shell and become the exuberent dog they should be. I'll be willing to share lot's of rescue experience, I've never had a puppy but always had a rescue or two. There are several who can share their experience with raising pups and young adults. Oscar should be in that teenage delinguent stage, full of energy and still a bit mischieveous. They calm down alot around 20/22 months old. I tend to rescue older, less adoptable canines. Oscar sounds like you may be the best thing he has ever encountered, give him time and he will reward you with unconditional love and trust.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Welcome! :wave:
It sounds like Oscar was really lucky to find you. Can't wait to hear more Beagle tales from you. Send some pictures, we love pictures here at BW. :happyhappy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I'll post pictures very soon /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Gotta get some batteries.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
OM,

Welcome to the BW pack!

Its going to be very interesting to hear how Oscar develops. Our Murphy and Summer are both rescues. Both came with a lot of baggage. Some of it still pops up every so often. Keep in mind, its your job to re-train him and make sure he behaves correctly. My wish is that your road is smooth ahead for the three of you.

If you have any questions, you found the right place to ask.

Again, welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome Tammi,

You are my type of human! On behalf of Oscar, thank you for saving him.

Prepare yourself for so much unconditional love and adoration...there is no bad side here.

We got my Henry from a shelter last February 3. He was a day from being PTS, got a ride from Louisiana to Virginia on a truck full of labradors, then almost died from heartworms.

Like Oscar, Henry was obviously abused in his past and his "ghosts" still haunt him at times. You never know what will set him off.

I can not stress how much I am in love with my Henry. He has come a long way and like Murphy's Dad mentioned, he still has speedbumps on the road to normalcy (for lack of a better word.)

As you can see, we have a lot in common, as well as with MANY on this board. So you and Oscar have come to the right place.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A big welcome to BW. Thank you for taking a rescue into your home. Yes, there will be ups and downs but the rewards make it all worthwhile. We have 2 rescues, ex research beagles, which we got when they were 5 years old.
Photos please and good luck. :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome, Tami & Oscar!!! Thank you so much for taking home a rescue pup. I rescued my Maggie 10 years ago (she is now 11 1/2) and she is the love of my life. You will be rewarded many, many times over. There will be many times ahead when you will scratch your head and wonder what in the world you have gotten yourself into (when Oscar starts to really feel at home and starts behaving like the true mischevious, stubborn beagle he is ...) but then Oscar will look up at you with those big eyes and you will melt! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World, and thank you for adopting a rescue. :thumbup: My Li'l Girl is a rescue who was about the same age as your Oscar when I adopted her in July, 2000. She came with a lot of bagge, too, but has developed into a wonderful pet. She's my angel girl. :heart:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's some pictures of Oscar /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif They did mention that he might be mixed with something, but we're not sure what. He just a little more fine boned that some Beagles I've met. He was very cute tonight when I came home from riding my horse. Spent a good 10 minutes sniffing my jacket and riding boots. Then he rolled all over my coat so it smelled like him again instead of my horse. Silly boy!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie is my first dog ever. People have told me a beagle is a tough dog to start with and we do have challenging days but we love her. I have learned so much from these boards and received concrete, helpful advice. Just reading the discussions and seeing that my puppy is doing normal puppy things has been reassuring. You will get lots of help here.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I love the name Oscar, and he looks like an Osacar! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

He's very cute, Tami!

·
Registered
702 Posts
How wonderful of you to take in a rescue! It always warms my heart to think that a lost and abused baby now has a loving home. :thumbup:

Welcome, welcome!!!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That is a good looking Beag you have. You can look at him and see the wheels turning inside that cocked head.

Well done /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Welcome :wave:

You certainly have come to the right place to share about beags. Oscar is such a cutie pie !!!

Bless you for rescuing him !!!!!

Julie

·
Registered
794 Posts
Oscar is so cute!!!
He has ears like my Polly, and she is a Beagle Mix.
I am not sure what kind of breed has those ears--let me know if anyone has suggestions!!!
Welcome!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The picture of Oscar made me do a double take! He looks so much like my beloved Shadow who went to the Rainbow Bridge in January of 2000. He was a mix, too, although we never knew beagle and what. Didn't matter, he was a special little guy. :heart: The picture is an old scan and not the best quality, but here he is.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome Tami and the incredibly cute Oscar!!! :wave:

Consistent love and understanding and patience will do the job, Tami. Good luck!!!

Keep us posted of the little guy's progress, please /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts