Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new here. I just brought home my 6 month old beagle named Ginger. She is so calm and sweet. I have a few questions though.

1st I know this is silly but this is my first dog and im use to seeing male dogs lift their leg to go potty. I have a female and i just dont know if she is going! lol looks like shes just sitting here to me! tonite i took her out and she sniffed around and then it look like she turned around to sit and her tail went straight up and stood there for a few then she turned around and sniffed excatly where she was sitting...did she go? this wet and rainy here and she was in grass? lol my hubbie laugh at me too.

2nd how many times should i take her out? im a stay at home mom so i can take her often if needed.

Please...any help would be appereicated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome. We have a five month old male Beagle named Blue. He also does not lift his leg to go potty and probably never will since he has now been neutered. Our tell tell sign now that the snow drifts are as tall as he is is the tail. Straight in the air every time he goes!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

As for taking her out. The first week we had Blue in the house, we took him out every hour on the hour. We took him out the same door and took him on a leash to the spot we wanted him to use. Every time we went out, we said, "let's go potty." While he was going we would praise him and again say potty. Now he knows what door to go to ask to go out and runs straight to his spot (most times, the snow is throwing him off) to do his potty.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It is harder to tell on a female, but male puppies only squat too usually until they are a little older so you can't tell with them much either. My puppies seem to squat, not really sitting all the way down. If yours squatted then turned and smelled it, odds are she went.

As for how often you should take her out...immediately after eating, drinking, and sleeping is a must, but if she hasn't done those things and an hour or two has passed, I'd take her out anyway.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hi, welcome to the pack :wave: I'm Pat and Boeing is my beagle baby.

I think puppies, both male and female, squat to pee. Only when they're a little older, male pups will start to lift one of their hind legs. Your little beagle was doing exactly that, with the straight tail squat and turning around to sniff.

As for your second question, Maria has a good advice there. That's about what I did when Boeing was a pup, too. He's now a little over five y/o.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you both so much. Her tail was straight up and she turned to smell it! GREAT SHE WENT!!! I hoped she did so I did praised her and gave her a treat and used the potty word. I will take her to the same spot and out the same door tomorrow morning. She is fast asleep in her crate and no crying yet.

Oh and thanks for not laughing at me like my hubbie did! lol

Naeemah aka Ginger's Mommy

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote: If yours squatted then turned and smelled it, odds are she went.
Yep! She went ! With female puppies it is hard to tell but one sure sign is her turning to smell it. You are doing good with her housetraining. Repetition is a good thing when training a puppy. Goodluck!! Welcome to the pack on BW. :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to you and Ginger to both the world of beagles and BeagleWorld! I'm looking forward to hearing lots of stories (and seeing lots of pictures - we like pictures!) of Ginger!

We have three rescue beagles - two females and one male... It can be very hard to tell when one of our females pees - the other has a very particular "stance", but the other one you can't always tell, either.

And don't ever be afraid to ask questions - we've all been there and are happy to help you out!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi and welcome to both of you!!!

Ive got a 3 month old boy Glover, he squats or just stands there..

anyway! good luck with your girl!

xx
K

G

·
0 Posts
Hey there. Welcome to the board. Of course we're not going to laugh at you, some of us have been there and done that. Good luck with your girl. Post some picture's and share more stories.

Ciao :wave:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi, I'm mommy to Chloe, she is 9.5 months old. Female dogs don't lift their leg to pee, they squat (although sometimes chloe kind of combines squatting and lifting one leg... strange I tell you).
I understand that you are crate training her... that's excellent. How is it going with her housetraining?
Don't be shy, ask the dumbest questions, we'll answer :hapfac01:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ask any questions you want,nobody here will think it daft. Everyone has to learn. It certainly sounds like Ginger is 'going', so well done.
When we house trained ours we would take them out the moment they woke up, also after eating or playing. When very young we would also go out durng the night to make sure. Before going to bed as well.
You will later see her get into a routine. Our present two go out before breakfast and do everything. An hour after breakfast they go for a long walk. During the day they are in and out of the garden but come 2pm they both pace up and down demanding the next walk. 4.30pm is dinner time after which they sleep and later off out for the last big walk.
Good luck and please post photos.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to you and Ginger!! You have gotten great advice from others and it sounds like you are the right path to a well-trained beagle. My female, Maggie, is now almost 13 -- she squats most times but some times lifts her left like a boy beagle. Her tail doesn't go up when she is going to pee but does when she is getting ready to poop. Like others have mentioned, we love pictures!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
Hi, I'm mommy to Chloe, she is 9.5 months old. Female dogs don't lift their leg to pee, they squat (although sometimes chloe kind of combines squatting and lifting one leg... strange I tell you).
I understand that you are crate training her... that's excellent. How is it going with her housetraining?
Don't be shy, ask the dumbest questions, we'll answer :hapfac01:
House training is going ok i think. She went this morning but didnt eat much breakfast. Then I crated her while I took kids to school. Then when I got home she went...but since then she has not gone. I have taken her out but nothing.

I notice she wants to bw with me all the time and if im cant watch her and i crate her while i take a shower she whines and barks alot now. is that normal? should I ignore her or let her out?

G

·
0 Posts
Hiya,

You'll find this place to be loads of help and information, as I'm a new member too. They are and have Helped Charlie and Myself tons. Sooo a welcome to you.

Charlie squats most of the time and lifts only 1 percent of the time at 15months.
When I first brought him home I took him out aaaalot and do mean alot, just so he becomes acustumed to his new home, still piddles now and then...ohh like a babe:).

My Passe Su was female and she squats so close to the ground I thought she was gonna sit in her piddles, however that's the way she liked to piddle, so I guess it depends if they don't mind it, then why should we.

Hey like humans sit straight on the toilet, some sit sideways , Hmmm wonder if anyone sits backwards, never saw it yet, but saw the other ways.

Good luck on her new babe

·
Registered
225 Posts
Whining in the crate will lessen when she gets used to being in there and yes, she will want to be with you constantly. Blue is just now getting used to being put in the kennel during the day and I don't want to share the messes we had with you!! Let's just say that I now realize why I don't have children!!! Many of us use Kongs when we put our dogs in their kennels to easy the separation anxiety, I know ours are very well used.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:Originally posted by Maria:
Whining in the crate will lessen when she gets used to being in there and yes, she will want to be with you constantly. Blue is just now getting used to being put in the kennel during the day and I don't want to share the messes we had with you!! Let's just say that I now realize why I don't have children!!! Many of us use Kongs when we put our dogs in their kennels to easy the separation anxiety, I know ours are very well used.
What is a kong?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts