Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - I rescued a darling 3-5 year old beagle, Pepper, from the pound a week ago. She is loving and sweet, but we are having one major issue. She will not poop outside - has not in the last week, not even once. I have spent 20 hours at a time with her - regular walks, long stints outside, etc. She is getting better at peeing outside (treats and lots of praise when she does). But eventually, I can't supervise her directly and have to go to work. I am crating her, but she is perfectly happy to poop in her crate. What do I need to do here? Any ideas? She doesn't chew things unless I leave her in her crate, then she destroys anything in her vicinity. Separation anxiety?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm thinking that since she was boarded at a pound for however long and was let out only once or twice a day to be in a great-yard, (if that!) that she now thinks she is Supposed to poo in her kennel and someone will then come and spray the kennel out! If you remember, the pound probably smells strongly of bleach!
I would give her time and take treats out on walks with you. If she potties or finally poos outside, really give her generous praise and a little treat.
She's just doing now, what she was taught to do at the pound and being a beagle, they are smart, so she thinks this is what is "requiered" of her!
Good luck with her and try not to "punish" her or make her feel badly for doing what she thinks she is supposed to do. It's not her fault the pound contains dogs the way they do. She'll eventually get the hang of being a "free-beagle" and start going outside again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, please consider NOT using bleach as a cleaning agent for her kennel. (If you haven't already thought of this) Please use a safe, enviromentally friendly (hence, dog-friendly) cleaner. Bleach is so toxic and is really bad for humans and animals to be breathing in. With a beagle's ultra-sensitive nose, it would be just misrable to have to sit in there and breath that mess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts