Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I thought it would be appropriate for my first post to be an intro. I'm a 22 year old college student. I hope to teach in a special education classroom in the near future. I'm looking to add a beagle to my family sometime in the near future. I stubbled accross this site doing beagle research, and I though who better to give me the pros and cons of beagle then the people who own them. I look forward to getting to know everyone. :wave:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello, Mylove. My dog research began online, as well. The first beagle site that I recommend for anyone thinking of getting a beagle is:

Beagles On the Web

This site used to have a Kennel page that was filled with links to beagle owners' personal websites. They no longer seem to have that feature, but the lady who seems to be the grand poohbah at Beagles On the Web really loves the breed and has wonderful resources on that site.

As you get closer to your choice, definitely talk to veterinarians, too. Make sure you get a good one that you trust BEFORE getting your puppy. It has been the best thing we did in this whole process of becoming new beagle parents.

Good luck with your doggie parenting preparations!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome!!! You are doing right by researching the beagle breed before committing to one!

Beagles are different. They are a different species within dogs. I personally think that they consider themselves to be babies (human that is) and as such keep challenging you, at everything, all the time.
Many people consider that to be stubbornness (which it might be), but I simply think of it as independence. They are pack animals, which means they love being with their pack, as much as possible. If you don't have other dogs/cats/..., the would love being with you all the time. They tend to suffer from separation anxiety because of that.

On the other hand, I don't think I would have a time in my life where I don't have a beagle (in addition to other dogs/pets). Chloe, my baby, is a year old red/white 13" beagle and I can honestly say that eventhough it was not easy at first, I just can't picture my life without her. Beagles are just loving, they will be with you, love you, support you, understand you, be your shrinks, comforters and your best friends forever.

Once you commit to one, you are his (or hers). They don't say we are owned by them for nothing...

Enjoy the site. Great advice is found here everyday!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to BW. I'm Glenda and am owned by my "tenpack", Princess, Romeo, Chloe, JoJo, Tanna, Lottie, Joe, Jack, Bella and Angel. This is a great group of friendly, caring, and supportive members - with LOTS of good information. You didn't say if you were looking for a puppy or an adult - as a "hobby breeder", my first suggestion IF you're looking for a puppy, is to check with your vet for "responsible" breeders in your area. ALL of my dogs are first and foremost, beloved pets (okay babies) - and MOST are spayed or neutered! I do not believe in "indiscriminate breeding". I think others have already given you information about "rescues" in your area.
I'm glad you're researching the breed - beagles can be very challenging and I always tell people who want my puppies the "pros and cons" of beagle ownership. I don't want any of my puppies to be "dumped" after a month because the owners don't have the patience to deal with a puppy. Any GOOD breeder will always take back his/her pups for any reason at any time. I have talked many people OUT of a puppy and suggested a rescue instead. Not everyone can deal with the delightful little challenges that are beagle puppies!
Good luck in your search! And again, welcome to BW. Glenda 'n the pack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking for a puppy. I was hoping to find a good breeder in my area, but that has proven to be a less then fruitful search. I've looked in shelters locally, and much to my surprise beagles are not in the three local shelters that I have checked. I'm in no hurry, and will certianly wait for either a good puppy from a breeder or the right puppy to show up in rescue.
In the mean time I'm dedicated to learning all I can about the breed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
So glad to have you! You will learn a lot here. Go back to older posts and check out all the good/bad things we have dealt with. Almost all the time, advice was given and taken with really good results.

You're in for the ride of your life AND the love of your life from any Beagle baby you choose!!!

Monica and Daisy:)

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you live in a rural area, check out the local shelters for beagle mixes. You can find some really awesome dogs that share many Beagle characteristics and traits. My Henry is a Beagle/German Shepherd mix and is really great. He was surrendered twice before I got him, but now he's showing everyone what a good boy he is! I'm also a college student, and I'm going into Elementary Education...my dad's degree is in Special Ed though! Welcome aboard!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts