Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent been on here for a while but I thought I would come back because I am having some issues. My husband and I have owned our Beagle, Becky, for 4 months now, and she has been my shadow ever since. She is super attached. Well Jason and I decided to get another dog as a companion for her, but we wanted to get him from the local animal shelter. We came home with Hank yesterday, he is a 1 yr old great pyranese, border collie mix.....he is huge! He is very calm and sweet and we love him. Becky on the other hand, isnt so sure of him. She is not mean to him, but she barks at him to get his attention. She seems jealous of him, and he seems to ignore her. How do I get them to love each other? I love them both, but Becky is driving me nuts! Help!!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Okay, the first thing you need to do is RELAX!!!!!
Hank is a new addition. Becky is a beagle, and beagles are known to be very attached to their leaders (you and your husband), she needs time to get used to Hank, and she will get used to him. Big breeds are considered pups 'till they are about 2 years old sometimes, and altough calm, once he will get used to the new home, Hank will start playing with Becky as well.
In retrospect you will eventually see you did the right thing by bringing home another 4 legged friend.
Did you take Becky with you to the Shelter to meet him and than decided on Hank?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
It is early days yet, they are not fighting so that is one good thing. Once Hank feels secure he will relax and take more interest in Becky. She hasnt been with you long yet either so needs lots of love and attention to make her feel she is still number one dog. Time will make them bond.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Your first mistake (as funny as this sounds) was not taking Becky along to help choose her new pack member.

That being said, its still VERY early. Hank has not even revealed his true personality yet. Give him time, he will. Becky will learn to get along with him too. But keep in mind, she was there first. She sees herself as next in line after you and your husband. That should not change. Love them both, but give Becky her time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no, we took her to visit him before we decided on him, but she was timid at the shelter too with all the other dogs barking outside the door. Becky and Hank were very friendly towards eachother, but she was just a little "stand-offish." I know it will take time, I just wondered if there was anything I could do besides just waiting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I totally understand all of that. I know it will take time and she will be jealous and defensive for a while, I just thought someone might have a tip for me so I can help the situation. I understand all you have said though, thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've mentioned before that our youngest, "Spook," took up residence at our house with no warning. The other three dogs had to get used to the "interloper," and there was barking, hackle raising, etc., for awhile.

The pack worked it out without much interference from us. My Li'l Girl still isn't very fond of Spook, but she just ignores him most of the time. There's no problem with fighting or anything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
When we got Derby, we tied him out next to the pen, which Cowboy was in. We did this because we were afraid of a fight coz when they first met(on leashes) they went crazy! Eventually(about 2 weeks), they took to eachother and we came home and found Derby inside the pen, still tied to the steak :hi:

So, it didn't take too long for them to bond, but all dogs are different so stay patient. It will be worth it! :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts