Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squeegee was neutered on Tuesday and keeps trying to lick his incision site. We always try to stop him and really don't want to get him a cone collar. His site is swollen and red. The redness isn't only along the incision line, it is all around it in various splotchy patches as well. What do you guys think? Is this what your dogs looked like 4 days post op? I called the vet and they were too full to see him today. It takes me so long to get a photo to the right size to post on here so I just made a photobucket album.

http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss132/vkschoch/Neutering/

I'm sorry the pictures are not great, he's a wiggler! The incision site is the lower of the two red lines, I'm not sure what the upper red line is...

·
Registered
991 Posts
They are to busy to see a dog they performed surgery on?? Wrong answer!!! They should make time. I would look for another Vet. They does not look normal to me either. I would try to get him looked at somewhere - for his comfort and your piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
That looks pretty red and angry to me...I'd definitely get him in to the vet as soon as possible. And I have to agree with Kathleen...your vet should have made time for one of HIS post ops!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ditto on the above advice. I have never seen an incision site that was that red and blotchy at any point after surgery. I would ask your vet for a referral to an emergency clinic if nothing else. And uncomfortable or not...put that collar on.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If the collar banging into things is a problem, take an old large towel and fold it length wise until it is about 4 or 5 inches wide and just wrap it around his neck several times and secure with either duct tape or a large diaper pin. That should keep him away from the surgery site at least until someone can look at it. Poor baby.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My boy didn't look like that and I agree saying they can't see him today was the wrong answer! Maybe some neosporin in the meantime?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I agree with others. I would be finding a new vet. In over 20 years my vet has never been too busy to see us and I can even call him at home.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ugh, that's terrible. Light pink is fine, not that red. My boy ignored his incision totally.

I also agree that being too busy to look or even quickly prescribe an ointment or something is a sign that this is a bad vet.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I was unable to view your pics, but Homer the Huge was
recently newtered. And I took the day off from work to care for him. He was newterd by the front of his sack &
sewed-up with bio-stiches that disappear! He had no ill effects other than the groggieness from being put under
and he healed very fast! I would agree that you need a new
vet that knows what they are doing! Sure, this is the
first time I have had a pet fixed, but I have heard my
share of horror stories about this operation gone wrong
! Homer has made some big changes, & now loves his new
playmate! (As when they first met...I thought I might have
to take Homer into the woods to kill him for trying to
kill my puppy)!
(But) thank goodness we have
the happy outcome of Homer accepting the new pup &
protecting him like he did with Goober! (Goober was his
mentor) & they enjoyed over 6 years together!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree, get him to a vet. I couldn't even see Winston's incision after 2 days.
Your vet should have made time to see a post op patient.
Our vet called us at 2 and 5 days post op to ensure there was no problems. And it was the vet, not his staff, that called. Both calls ended with the vet saying, you can call me anytime of the day or night if he has any problems

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I took him to the vet today. The vet says everything looks ok and there is just a lot of bruising. I think I will take him back there for suture removal and then look for a new vet. This is not the first bad experience we have had with them.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
That's probably a good plan. If something serious ever comes up you want to know your vet will make time to see you.

·
Registered
472 Posts
How is Squeegee Doing? I hope he has healed up o.k.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, jennifer, he did heal up ok. Thanks for asking!! I finally got him to the vet and he said it was ok and i will be taking him in on monday to get his stitches out. so glad the baby is ok

·
Registered
472 Posts
Glad to hear Squeegee is o.k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts