Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At just a little over 6 months of age I am getting so many people telling me to neuter Harley. The sad truth is I am not informed enough to know if there is any benefit to this at all.

So far i've only seen him hump my leg twice. Friends tell me getting him neutered will stop this behaviour.

Could use some solid advice if any here is willing to offer any.

Andy

·
Registered
220 Posts
we got Monty neutered when he was at 6 months. we were unsure about whether or not we wanted to, but his humping was getting out of hand...he had a favorite teddy bear, and he would spend hours with it. We thought it was fine, until he got umm...a little too dry, and things wouldn't go back where they were supposed to? Not sure of the medical term! but, it ended up being an expensive lube job from the emergency vet! Since then, there has not been much change in him. He still humps teddy bears if he can find them, and it's been 4 months.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If you have no plans for studding him (and the associated documents and reasons to do so), get him neutered. It not only protects him, but any little girl dogs in heat he may come across.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I have no plans to stud him, he's our family pet and thats it.

Will it make him calmer ?
or
Is there no such thing as a calm Beagle ?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky did not become calmer after the procedure nor did he stop humping. To this day, he will still hump any dog he can get his paws on (no females though just males). I still think you should do it. You don't want him running around and finding all the females in heat... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our boys aren't beagles, but we had both of them neutered at about 6 months of age. As far as I know, there's no downside to neutering if you're not planning to breed.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
It really is the best thing. He could start to want to hunt out all the atractive females in your area and drive you mad trying to escape. If he gets out he could be killed by traffic and think of those bitches who could put unwanted puppies in the world. We had two bitches, both got caught by local dogs, who would lurk in our garden even in freezing weather. Their owners couldnt stand the whining and barking so let them out. It wont harm him being neutered but might just calm him down. We have a neutered male and female, Snoopy doesnt seem to notice he has lost his b.....!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I totally agree that if you have no plans for studding him, get him
neutered.

Many years ago when I got my first dog I bred him once. After that,
I couldn't decide whether to have him neutered or not, and never got
around to having it done. When he got older (I think he was around 7)
he had complications and I almost lost him.

Not all dogs will have trouble, but having to get him neutered at an
older age when he was sick was terrible!

·
Registered
448 Posts
with a male it is much easier, at least easier than a female, and probably would not be a bad idea. Now, My Harley NEVER humped anything. He was told early on-NO. The only thing he did hump was Sadie when she was in HEAT only though! and then came little Maggie (only pup!) So after that I fixed Harley just to make sure that it was better for him. He did calm down but only minutely, he was already much calmer than the female beagles!!!

Just my 2 cents!

Judi and the gang

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you asked me, I'd say 'Just do it!' /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Like what others have said here, if you don't plan to keep him as a stud dog, neutering would be better for him in the long run. There are so many strays in our neighborhood and the last time they were in heat, it was nearly impossible to walk my dog because his mind was just focused on the only female of the pack and all he wanted to do was to sniff her out. Back inside the leg-humping was very annoying to my mom; he only wanted to hump her leg :hi: . We had him neutered only last month and he calmed down considerably. He even slept through all the barking and fighting outside. He still occasionally humps my mom's leg, though. Just for fun, I guess. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif And we have to say in his face, "Man, you're a eunuch now. Don't forget."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts