Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at what age did your baby boy get neutered? Willy is to have sugery monday he is 3 mo's.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, it's best to neuter/spay the pups before they mature sexually.
Meaning, bitches before they are 6 months of age (usually done between 4 to 6 months) and males around the same age. I had Chloe spayed at 6.5 months, 2 hours after I got her home she was up and running (and jumping, and jumping..).

If you are not planning on breeding the dog (and even than the dog should have breeding documents) it's best for their health to spay/neuter.

Is Willy going to be neutered? If so, don't worry, it's a relatively easy surgery, and they bounce back within hours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I worked many years for a vet but this is the younges i have done it, but he is hiking his leg outside.I don't care how many times you see this surgery It is different when it's your baby. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thank you for the quick reply.He is getting neutered and micro chipped.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, I can understand why it would be difficult for you. I was extremely nervous when Chloe was spayed. Since you know the procedure, that would be tougher for you....

But try not to worry, he'll be okay. That's great that you are getting him micro chipped.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Both my boys were neutered at approximately six months of age. I don't know if there's any set standard for the procedure or not. Our vet just prefers to do it when the adult teeth have come in, and that's at about six months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree I think I might wait. They said they do neuter/spayes at 2 pounds NOOOO. He is just a baby at 11 pounds.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My vet will NOT spay or neuter before 4-5 months. He said the reason some shelters do it so young (some as early as 8 weeks), is because there is no "owner" to care of the puppy doesn't wake up (and they often don't wake up) - it's very difficult to determine the right amount of anethesia for a puppy that young. Mine usually go in about 5 months. They're usually up and running as soon as they wake up. Girls are a little more difficult, it's a more invasive surgery - but I've never had any problems with any of mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks everyone i just changed his appointment till next month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts