Our Beagle World Forums banner

Nervous barker

899 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  eleanor 
#1 ·
My Rosie is a barker! When it's just our pack she's fine, infact she's the bolshy one, the ringleader. As soon as something else comes into the equation she freaks out! It could be another dog on the beach, a forestry van in the woods, someone on a bike.........she feels the need to become as loud as possible and bark until they're gone, it's almost as if she has to scare whatever it is away. I know it's because she's nevous of anything she thinks may threaten the pack but it's becoming a real pain. All mine are pretty well behaved and generally have good recalls, especially Rosie but if she sees another dog while we're out, even if it's at a distance, she'll run towards it barking loudly and will not listen to me. I've tried running in the opposite direction excitedly shouting her, distracting her with a treat or a game etc. but nothing works! Worse thing is, when she starts it, the rest of them join in and it's really embarrassing, the other three usually come back to me without too much fuss but she just will not give up!
Most people's reaction to this is one of either understanding (or sympathy!) but there are the odd few who really take offence to it- and I can't say I blame them!
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.