Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in the middle of nowhere. Our neighbors our acres apart. All dogs must be licensed, they even come knocking on your door to check, everyone know everyone and is somehow related...just giving you an idea of the type of place we live.

My neighbors are very anti social, I've lived here 4 years and talked to them once. Anyway they have 2 dogs, an older lab and what looks like a pit bull. They work full time and leave these dogs outside all day with the garage door cracked for them. When I drive down the street the pit charges at my truck. I almost killed him last night then again this morning. When my dogs are out they run down to my house and just growl at them. Now that it's been warming up my dogs are outside alot as well as the kids. The pit is coming to my house. He growls but it does not sound mean more of an attention play with me growl. I dont want to take any chances. The people that live behind them on another street have went to their house to talk to them about the dogs only to get yelled at and told to get off the property. WWYD? Try to talk to them yourself or just call the county on them? The dogs are not on a electric fence they just roam freely. I am normally not a complainer and can handle things myself but living in Maybury you have to watch every move you make! I know pit's get a bad rap but I cant help but be worried about it because he is alone from about 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 at night and is outside even later. What kind of attention is he getting? I'm afraid he's going to turn agressive.
Thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Another for call Animal Control. Its the owners' job to keep his animals on their property. You are just protecting your pets and family.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree, that you should call the county. You don't want to take chances with your family's and pet's safety. Also, it sounds like the pit bull needs some protection, too.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd get on the phone right now and call your county person. That's a dangerous situation to have to put up with, AND there are kids in the neighborhood....call and then you know that you've done all that you can do. Don't handle it yourself..it's not worth the misery.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Being a Pit Bull owner myself I understand first hand how they can get if left alone most of the time. My Pit was left alone in a basement for the first 6 months of his life and still has issues that need to be worked on from his past and I have had him almost 2 years now. So I would get on the phone ASAP with your county person. The Pit may not be agressive right now but the longer he or she goes being out alone the better chance of he/she becoming agressive.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I agree with calling animal control not only for the protection of your family but for the safety of the other dogs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Uggh, I know there are accidents, but it's my pet peeve when owners PURPOSELY don't secure their dogs. Not only are they putting their precious dogs life at risk, but they also risk having their dogs hurt others (human and otherwise).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
ditto, call someone...it would be terrible if something were to happen to someone or they can get hurt too. Not fair for the dogs or anyone else for that matter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! I called. I felt guilty at first by not talking to them direct but like I said someone else has tried.

The county said they are only showing one dog being at the address. So if the dog is over 6 months old , which he looks like it, they will be fined because he's not licensed. Living in the country people think you dont have to confine your dogs, you do, they either have to be on a leash or electric fence ( thank god we comply!) They are going to talk to them and most likely ticket them. They said they can not take the dogs of their land but if the dog is in my yard I can catch him and they will come pick him up. He charged at my truck again this morning and he's definately a pit. I thought at first maybe a mix but he's 100% pit. He's a cutie though!

·
Registered
421 Posts
had a pitt for 12 years. she was a very affectionate dog, but she was never alone. she was big, and really strong. i can't imagine what she would have been like if she was mean. uncontrolable i guess. i wouldn't take any chances with an agressive dog like that. you may have to repeatedly call before things change. best of luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm glad you called. Before I got married and got my beags I lived at home with my parents. They have two labs and live in a neighborhood. One evening (late) I was out walking them with my Dad and this guy was outside his house with a few little dogs and one big pitt or boxer mix. It was dark so all I could tell was that he was big. Anyway, my parent's labs are very friendly and were on leash, but this guys dogs were off leash. We slowed down but as we did his dogs started heading toward us. He called out that they were all friendly so we didn't really worry too much. Well as soon as the big dog got up to us he lunged and attacked one of the labs. We started hollering and kicking at him but he was on her so fast. I had been walking her on a halti so when she pulled back her mouth closed and she couldn't defend herself. Anyway, FINALLY the guy came out to the street and managed to pull his dog off. Needless to say we ended up at the animal ER and the guy ended up being fined for multiple reasons and also paying the vet bill.

But I can't imagine what would have happened if that dog had turned on US. We would have been helpless. And if the lab had been a small dog the other dog probably would have killed her because he went for the throat .

It definitely sounds like you're doing the right thing! I hope it all works out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

You have to get the picture in your head. I live 4 houses from the corner. The corner 15 acres and it's wooded, then there is the dog owner's house,then more houses then my house. All on 15+ acres. I left at 3:00 and saw that animal control was at the house and the owner's were actually home. I came back at 5:00 and who comes running out of the woods charging at my truck? The pit!! Again I almost hit him. He's so fast and he comes out of unexpected places. This time I stopped and nailed my horn, he ran, I pulled in their driveway this time and kept my horn going until they came out. I yelled at them to get their dog now that this is about the 4th time I almost killed him. They asked if I called on them. I didnt lie I said I did. I said they are never home, it's cold and the dogs are probably freezing. I told her the people that talked to them before didnt accompolish anything so I went one step further and called animal control because I was worried about my dogs and family as well as her dogs! She had a few choice words for me, I also told her that if I catch the dog on my property that I will catch him and have him removed that she better get a leash, electric fence, dog run or something for them.

I forgot to say why I only talked to them one time. When I moved in I went and introduced myself. We talked for maybe an hour and in the conversation she said how nosey people are and how happy people are reporting each other. She said she's waiting for CPS to come over because she leaves her kids in the car if they are sleeping, she parks in the garage and closes the door part way whether it's summer or winter. That's not someone I want to associate with!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts