Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do with Chloe.... She is 6 months old today (Yay.. happy 1/2 birthday baby....) and I don't see the end with her housebreaking. I tried everything I could think of (that is not abusive of course) and nothing seems to work. She is fine in her crate, but since I am away during the day for many hours I can't leave her in it. Last evening I went our for 4 hours and figured its a great time to see how she is doing in her crate while I'm not there.... needless to say I left water, 2 toys and a stuffed kong for her. When I came back home, I could hear her screams from the elevator (not reaching my floor even), and when I saw her in the crate, she peed, pooped and was all shaking... I can't do this to her again (or to me washing her and the crate at 1 AM... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif )

During the night she is fine sleeping in the crate or with me, but almost never (mainly recently) didn't have any accident. When I'm with her during the day in the house she is fine and never has any accidents...

What do I do? The problem is only when I leave the house. I can't afford a daycare, and don't have anyone in my area that can come in the middle of the day and take her out. I don't mind if she is peeing and pooping on the pad (which she does - sometimes), but most of the time she just tears is to shreds.... (she stopped doing that and started again recently).

HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Eleanor,

I can hear your frustation from here.

If you don't have a bathroom or laundry room that is rather indestructable that Chloe can stay in, keep on with the crate.

Henry was housebroken in a crate but the crate that I used for him was for dogs bigger than him so he had room enought to stand and turn around and move a little.

Try desensitizing Chloe to the crate. People in BW have suggested it. When you are home, put her in the crate with a treat and close the door and leave the room briefly then come back and let her out. Graduate to longer periods of time in the crate with praise when she comes out.

Then begin putting her in and actually leaving the apartment for brief periods doing the same thing.

Personally, right after she comes out the crate, I would take her out to pee but it might present a challenge if you live in a high rise.

I can say that when I had Henry, I wrote to BW and sent out an SOS just like you did and I got all kinds of good advice. And then suddenly, one day I noticed that Henry was actually housetrained. Just all of a sudden. And I never, ever thought it would happen.

Keep your chin up, be patient and loving just like you are doing and it will happen one day...just like that.

And kisses to Miss Chloe from Henry and I for being so sweet.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a laundry room, but I can probably put her in the bathroom, it's rather small though... if I take away the bathroom mat, there is not much she can destroy....(I think
)... and it has a small window, so if I close the door, she can still breathe.

What do you think about a baby gate? I'm trying to think of all options...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I don't recommend a baby gate. Lucky can climb a baby gate. I recommend closing the door. When I live in an apartment, Lucky was locked in the bathroom. I played music for him and had toys, blankets, and water in there. He did fine. He just slept. Now, he has his own room in the house. He still is locked up in the house while we are gone. I do come home for lunch to let him out. But he would do fine even if I didn't. I always take him out right after I come home. He did take awhile to get housetrained because he hated people watching him poop! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We have crated Maggie since she was a baby. She didn't like it at first but now when we leave the house and ask her to "kennel up", she runs over, flips the door open, waits for her treat and then lays down for a nap. She is often still napping when we return. Maybe you can try putting Chloe in for short times while you are at home. Give her a Kong with a great treat inside to keep her busy and then let her out in a few minutes. As someone else said about their beagle Maggie was trained overnight. One day I thought it would never happen and the next she was housetrained. I think she was about 5 and 1/2 months. Don't give up,it will happen. I think that whatever you decide to do a consistent routine is most important.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We have the same problem with Duke (kind of). He's in our bathroom during the day, my son lets him out at noon and I'm home by 4, and he never has had a single accident in there. He goes outside and goes potty when we let him out.

Problem is, he still goes in the floor when we're home. We gated off the living room so he can't go in the back of the house and has to stay in the rooms we're in, but he still finds ways to be sneaky. The other day, I saw him lift his leg for the first time....on my china hutch! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

He's still young, not quite 5 months, and I just keep praying he'll outgrow this. Until then, we keep shampooing carpets.

Best of luck with Chloe, she'll get there too, eventually. Beagles apparently have their own time schedule.LOL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is she on twice a day feeding?

We started Tramp (now 22 weeks) out on self-feeding as both our previous dogs (not Beagles) self-fed on dry food all their life without getting overweight. When Tramp came along we found it more difficult to house train him than our other dogs. After the vet recommended twice a day feeding for Beagles (same one who had no problem with our others being self-fed) we decided to try it out to see if it would benefit the house training also. It's been 3 weeks now, and we have his two poops a day timed quite nicely within half an hour of eating. He's still in the crate overnight (about 12-1 till 6-7); and he's crated if we go out without him for short spells during the day (I'm at home so he gets lots of loving). He always goes out for a pee right before and immediately after being crated. We don't give him water in his crate for the time being, not until he's fully trained (I see it like putting a young child to bed with an endless supply of water!). He rarely has pee accidents during the day now, and the ones he has it's been my fault for not listening to his whining sooner! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I started the twice a day feeding a few days ago, till then it was 3 meals a day. Now I'm giving her a third of the daily portion in the morning and the rest in the evening when I get home (after taking her out...) and about an hour after she finishes eating, we go for a 2 hour dog park session (another walk first)... I must say that when I'm home with her she rarely has accidents (only if I don't seem to notice her distress)...

I think I will try Denise's advice, I'll check to see which she like better, the bathroom or the crate.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow glad i poped in here, I think i will try the bathroom, mine is kinda big with tile flooring, i have a crate but it is kinda big.I have not but once put razer in the bathroom, because i was cleaning and he was trying to eat my vaccum :lol2:

·
Registered
112 Posts
When we first got Beasley, we used a baby gate in the kitchen while we were out...that only lasted 1 day. Not only was going potty a problem, but she obviously walked through it a couple of times and spread it everywhere...gross.

So we are keeping Beas in her crate while we are both away. Thankfully, Christine has much earlier hours than me, but she still spends a good portion of the day in the crate. No accidents anymore. When we first started, we made sure that we never forced her into the crate. I didn't want her associating it with something bad. A few treats always seemed to do the trick. Now when I am getting ready for work, all I have to do is tell her "go to bed" and she will run over to her crate...But she won't get in until I'm over there with her cookie.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Eleanor,

That's great that you have a window in your bathroom so Chloe stays oriented to the time of day.

If you try the bathroom, don't forget to move the toilet paper, close the toilet lid and lift the shower curtain out of beagle range.

And throw in lots of toys...does she like the frozen kongs? (Henry doesn't but other beetles on BW seem to love them).

Oh, and playing a radio will give her some company. Be sure the cord is way out of beetle reach.

~Denise

·
Registered
555 Posts
Emma is a rescue. She was always crated, so she would go where ever & step in it. She shreaded potty pads & whent on the floor. I resorted to putting a diaper on her. She peed in it once & pretty much stopped after that.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay... so I worked with Chloe the entire weekend on staying calmly in the bathroom, and she seemed to do fine.
This morning I left her there with frozen stuffed kong, some toys and her water bowl...and she seemed to be fine for the first minute, but when I left the apartment, I think I heard her starting to cry a little, I hope she is fine... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

oh, and I left the radio on just in case....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, this is not going to work I think.... I need another option.
I just got a call from the management of the building about Chloe crying non stop, and I have to go home to take her out of the bathroom.
They said that the other tenants have complained that she is making a lot of noise.
She said that I have to get her the barking collar to make her stop and I have to do it today...

What am I going to do?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Greetings-

I just wanted to give you my experience on barking collars. Again this is my opinion and I'm sure there are people out there that will completely disagree with me.

Rhett has pretty bad seperation anxiety and when he was about six months old he started getting pretty bad when I would leave for the day (I live in a house with a doggy door to the back yard that is set up like doggy fort nox) Problem was he would run to the fence line on my neigbors side of the house and would just bark away for hours. My supposed "friendly" neighbors decided that they would place a note on my door citing city ordincance and what not and said they would report this to animal control if I didn't take care of this (note that this was the only time they ever mentioned my dog to me and they couldn't even get up the nerve to talk to me politely in person)

Anyway I couldn't just leave Rhett inside because I would work really long hours and he was just getting more and more confused on where he should "go" and even when I was at home he would just not give out the signals that he did have to go so he had to be able to go inside and outside when he wanted to. Since he would be really loud outside I had to figure something out. After researching online for hours I decided to get a shock collar for him (they have the citronella kind but too many people would say that they would learn to turn there heads before barking and since Rhett is a crafty one I chose not to go down that path).

Before I would ever put this thing on him I tested it on myself first by holding the sensors on my hand and making a loud noise. I will say it scared the heck out of me but did not hurt one bit. Once I placed it on Rhett after the first bark he never tried to bark again when the thing is on. He has learned he can do quiet whines which is fine and to be honest it's less of a deal now that he has Scarlett to play with but it did work for him.

I originally thought the collars were horrid and inhumane but I completely reversed my feelings on them now that I was able to test it and see how it worked.

Normal routine is to place it on him 10 minutes before I leave so he knows that I am leaving for the day then turn on the radio to talk radio as he enjoys sports talk over music (that's my boy). It then comes off him as soon as I walk in the door so he can tell me how his day went if he feels like it. Once Scarlett turns 6 months old she will go on one too just to make sure she is good while I am gone also and to also make it fair to Rhett. I just want her to be old enough first.

Anyway just wanted to let you know. (and no I don't talk to my neighbors anymore)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that. I am not sure I'll get the collar (maybe, don't know).
However I have another problem, not sure if it should be posted here, but it is related: Most of the tenants in the building have dogs, and many of them don't have board approval (I only heard about it yesterday) for having the dogs. when I got the call from the management, I was told that I need to get rid of the dog or move out. When I told the lady I am not doing either, she asked if the dog is a puppy and told me that I need to get the collar and it has to be done today (meaning yesterday). I ran straight home to let her out of the bathroom, since I knew this was the reason she was barking and crying, and she stopped as soon as I let her out. The thing now is that when I asked the lady about getting a board approval, she said it's too late (because of the complaints I guess). I'm worried that if something else happens, or if she even barks for 2 minutes because of something or someone, they would raise hell over this and I get in trouble!!!

Kodi - not that you have shared your experience about the collars, I may actually get one for her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eleanor, I am so sorry that you're going through this. I can completely and totally 100% relate to how you are feeling right now. When Jersey was a puppy, I got several complaints about her crying. She has major separation anxiety and cries for hours when I leave her alone. I can't leave her at all. I got so many complaints the first year I had her that one more meant I had to either move or give up Jersey. I tried the natural herbal supplements, I tried a device that let off a high pitch sound every time she barked, I put her on medication...nothing ever really worked. I was too afraid to try the shock collar, although I had considered it. I even briefly considered returning her to the rescue. I finally resorted to taking her to doggy day care. It costs me money, and I have to sacrifice things for myself, but it means I didn't have to move or give up my dog. I know that's not an option for everyone and I'm sure a doggy day care in NYC is a lot more expensive than one here in Florida.

Chloe is OK left lose, right? She just has accidents? Could you hire a dog sitter to come in and take her out while you're gone? That may be cheaper than day care. Do you have a neighbor that you're friendly with that you could ask to take her out for you? Do you work too far away to come home at lunch?

I know it's hard, but there's a solution out there somewhere. It took a bit of creative thinking and a bit of my savings, but I finally found what works best for me and Jersey. If you want to talk more, PM me!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't have much advice for you, but I will send good thoughts your way! :computer:
Potty training is so hard, crating is hard, getting them to stop barking-hard. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

hats off to people who adopt dogs who live in apartments...those of us who live in houses with fenced-in yards have no idea how lucky we are...

hang in there and take care!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I just went out today and bought this stuff called Rescue Remedy. It's a calming agent for humans but I know a lot of people that use it for their dogs. Spencer cries in his crate as well so am going to try it to hopefully keep him a bit calmer while I am away. It's worth a shot.

I will let you know how it goes with Spencer.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Eleanor,

I am so sorry to hear that things have gotten this bad...the management's ultimatum and the tenants complaints.

Like Taurus' mom, I admire people who live in apartments that get dogs. Count me as one who needs to remember how lucky I am that I can just open the door and let my pups out.

I have no suggestions...but you got some good ones suggested. Since so many people in your building have dogs, is there no way to enlist their help? It would seem that kindred spirits would understand.

Doggy day care or the bark collar are good options. I hope you find the one that works for you.

Hugs to Chloe and you.

~Denise

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.