Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I do love ALL of our beagles but there are times when they really do test that - like this morning when I woke up to Popcorn peeing IN our bed...

She is on antihistamines because of the allergies or whatever it is that has been making her scratch her mouth until it bleeds, and after a week her mouth is doing much better and I've only seen her scratching a couple of times in the past few days, and not in an obsessive way, but the drugs make her pee a lot and she isn't the best at making sure we know that she needs to go out - she will come and stand or sit beside us but she doesn't do anything overt to get our attention. I have been waking her up and taking her out first thing in the morning the past week, and we have only had a couple of accidents on the carpet, but this morning when she came to the side of the bed this morning I just let her into bed (big mistake) rather than taking her out... And paid the price.

I wonder if it is her background as likely being a caged hunting beagle in Newfoundland that is the explanation for why she doesn't seem to have the strong instinct the others do not to soil where they sleep... and where we sleep... When we first rescued her she did this a few times, plus (extra joy) pooped in bed a few times too. I just can't imagine Booker or Moose ever willingly doing that no matter how desperate they might be - Moosie did have a pee accident in bed once, but I think it was caused by a seizure - not that he consciously lifted his leg while on the bed. And I am not as much mad at her for peeing inside (since she probably did make a half-hearted attempt to give me signals by coming to the side of the bed which I just chose to ignore), but how to I teach her that if she absolutely has to go it is NOT acceptable to do so in the bed (unless yelling and throwing her off the bed mid-pee will do that just by itself).

What a way to start a Sunday morning...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I quite agree that is NO way to start a morning - I can sympathize and emphathize, but have no pearls of wisdom. The throwing her off the bed in mid stream just MIGHT get the idea across. I'm not sure what it is she's taking - but if it is Prednisone (which is often given for allergy/scratching problems) it will cause excessive drinking and peeing. My keeshond was super allergic to fleas and the vet in Sacramento often gave her prednisone - which DOES stop the itching/scratching but also causes many other problems. I finally put my foot down - NO MORE PREDNISONE!! After reading the side effects, I won't allow it - except for VERY limited use. It's not an antihistimine, but a steroid, and damages every organ. In her early life as a hunting dog, she probably had no house training - I have one like that, my Tanna was in field trials before I got him - he doesn't care where or on what that he pees! Last night he walked up to the box fan here in the family room and before I could say 'NO TANNA' he peed right on it. I've tried everything with him - so he's only allowed loose when I can supervise him, and obviously can't watch him every moment. IF I can catch him and tell him no soon enough he'll stop, otherwise everything in the house belongs to him - after all, he marked it, therefore it is his! I sympathize, Booker, just don't have any good advice for you!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
BookerMoose,

Good luck with this...I'll be watching this closely.

Yodel is also a bedwetter. Last night was the first time that I actually caught him in action and stopped him midstream with a loud NO and brought him outside.

His problem is that during the last pee-pee call at night, he sometimes gets so caught up in his exploring and sniffing that he doesn't do what my other two have learned to do at this time.

Sometimes he goes into the woods or in the back out of my sight so that when he returns, I don't know if he has peed or not.

Henry used to be the same way...never peed in the bed...but forgot or took forever to pee during the last pee call of the night. I'm hoping that Yodel will eventually catch on too.

Like you with Popcorn, Yodel still doesn't have any specific way to ask to go out. When I find him anywhere close to a door, I ask him if he has to go out and let him out.

Anyway...I ended my day yesterday the same way that you began yours today. But I am convinced that if Henry, with all of his quirks and ghosts, can learn to communicate and learn when to to, Yodel and just about anybody else can...including Popcorn.

Hang in there....I'll be hanging in there with you.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Glenda and Gingergoose - I feel better just knowing I'm not alone (or the only one doing extra laundry)!

Glenda - I checked and the drug Popcorn is on is indeed a mixture of antihistamine and prednisone... we'll finish off the course of it (a few more days) but definitely won't go back on it without reading up more on it and alternatives. Thanks for the heads up on that...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know the feeling - Arty is very well housebroken, and he'll let us know when he has to go outside. However, one weekend some family came to visit and I dont know if it was because there was just too much commotion going on that he forgot he had to go because he was running around and also hanging out in the kitchen waiting for food scraps to be dropped when all of a sudden he ran out to the living room (where I was) and under the coffee table and let out a long stream of pee!!!

I have no idea what he was thinking - he didnt even try to come get me, he just started peeing. No big deal though - but thank goodness for Natures Miracle !!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We have been through that. Susi jumped onto our bed shortly after we collected her and peed. She came extra to do it. However, that was the last time she did it in our bed at home (its happened a few times in the camper)but then she decided our new berber carpet was a dog toilet. She made such a habit of it we had to get rid of the expensive carpet and bought cheap cotton ones. So far no accidents on those!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally Posted By: GlendaIn her early life as a hunting dog, she probably had no house training - I have one like that, my Tanna was in field trials before I got him - he doesn't care where or on what that he pees! Last night he walked up to the box fan here in the family room and before I could say 'NO TANNA' he peed right on it.
Well, if Tanna wanted to scent-mark the room that was certainly an efficient way to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I have this problem with Charlie too. He got distracted during the last pee pee call. He would creep out in the middle of the night, since no one hears the bell hanging at the patio door, he would just pee right in front of the patio glass door.
Lately, I close the gate of his crate. It is not that easy, I have to wait until he is actually in it and bribe him with a chicken jerky treat. We do not have the practice of having furkids on our beds. I worry about a lot of things, the most important one is dormanance, after all, they are still animals, and behave like animals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts