Our Beagle World Forums banner

Need to vent about Lucky!

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Pack Leader 
#1 ·
Argh...I know I sound so mean, but this dog is dumber than a box of rocks. He is as sweet and loving as they come, but geez he doesn't get anything. He wakes up in a new world everyday. Toby was never the brightest crayon in the box, but he got the big stuff. I really thought Lucky would follow Toby's lead, but absolutely no such luck.

We tried obedience classes. He doesn't do anything unless it's for a treat no matter how many times we have done it. He won't poop unless all the planets are in allignment (there can be absolutely no distractions, noise, rain, or before midnight). He is scared of the dryer no matter how many times he is in the utility room with the dryer going. We have the same schedule EVERYDAY yet he still doesn't understand the concept of having to poop before being let out in the house. I could go on all day.

My husband doesn't care for him at all, so it is all me and I have to admit I am getting to the point of being more frustrated with him than enjoying him. I know every dog has a different level of difficulty, but this one is really testing me. I already have a toddler in the house, I don't need my patience tested any further. lol!

O.k. I am through venting and off to tell Lucky to be quiet for the 10th time in 10 minutes!

See less See more
#2 ·
Buffy, I understand your frustration and sympathize with it - however, at just a year old, Lucky is still a puppy. My first beagle joined my family when I was over 60 - and talk about frustration!! Every puppy I'd had up to then had been totally housetrained no later than 3 months, they learned to come when called, to sit and stay without months of training. Beagles are more difficult than any other dog I've ever had - but they obviously have something good - since I have 9 of the little darlings. I don't think that Lucky is really dumb, I've found that beagle minds just don't seem to work like other dogs' minds. I think most of the beagle owners here will tell you the same thing - the key to training a beagle is consistency and PATIENCE (and sometimes the patience is a little hard to come by - and if you think it's frustrating with ONE - try having NINE). With a toddler in the house, you may not have as much time to give Lucky. Do you have a fenced yard where he can be outside to run off some energy? My co-manager always says a TIRED puppy is a GOOD puppy. If you can make some time for additional obedience classes, that would be good for him.
I wish I had some real pearls of wisdom to offer you - but I don't. I'll just wish you good luck, and let you know that we're here if you need to vent.
Hugs 'n puppy kisses,
Glenda 'n the pack

#3 ·
Thank you, Glenda! Everything you are telling me I know that I know it, but geez this dog is so much more frustrating than Toby ever was! Like I said, he is as sweet and loving as they come - those are definitely his redeeming qualities. He is also wonderful with my toddler. I have always thought beagles were smart, just not the most obedient, but Lucky has definitely made me re-think it - LOL!!

His breeder has said of beagles that some just have that personality where they wake up in a new world everyday! Lucky definitely has that personality.

I am sure I was too harsh in my original post written after an incredibly frustrating evening with Lucky. Lucky is here to stay. We just have to figure out to get him to fit into the family better! I just have to vent sometimes because my husband doesn't exactly love Lucky, so I can't vent to him after a bad day!

#4 ·
Buffy, you have NO idea of my frustration level at times. I love each and every one of these brats, and I can't imagine life without them, but sometimes I almost hate coming into the house. I work as a caregiver for a couple of seniors (and I'm 69 years old), and it's not easy work. By the time I get home (and it's a 20 mile commute), I'm TIRED. I have anywhere from 4 to 7 dogs (depending on who is in the family room) greeting me at the back door ready to kill me with kisses. They're all so happy to see me, and I'm happy to see THEM, but it's overwhelming at times. It would be nice to be able to just come in and take my shoes off and SIT without them jumping all over me the second I open the door. I can't go in the front door - we keep the gates locked so no one can accidently let the dogs out of the yard. So I DO understand frustration.
Have you considered having your husband take Lucky to obedience classes? If he worked with him, they might get along better - just a thought. My problem is that I live alone - and there is no one to share the love - or the work - with.

#5 ·
Hi Buffy!

I have no advice to offer you but if the misery loves company helps, that is something that I can contribute.

It seems that just when I was getting Henry used to the pee-pee routine, along comes Yodel-the-bed-wetter.

He is just like Henry used to be...we would take him outside to do his business but he would be so interested in the sights and smells outside that he would neglect to do what he was brought out to do. I will spend up to 45 minutes outside with him on his before-bed outing...following him around the yard, trying to keep up with him so that I can see with my own eyes that he empties his bladder. But once he wanders out of my view to the back or in the woods, I loose sight of him and have to take my chances when he returns that he is on EMPTY.

The reason it is so important for me to see him do this is that if he doesn't, and we put him in bed with us and Henry B., if Yodel hasn't already gone, he pees in the bed!!!!

I realize that conventional wisdom would say that if we aren't sure of his pre-bed pee status, we should crate him for the night. Problem there is that we love the little guy so much that we simply chance it.
Even my husband who wanted to kill Yodel when we first got him and he chewed an antique sideboard now loves him so much that we both quietly get up, pull off the covers and replace them with fresth linens. Then put Yodel and Henry back in the bed knowing that he <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> then finally EMPTY. I know that we are crazy
but that is how it is.

It's my hope that Yodel isn't hopeless and one day I will realize that he hasn't peed in the bed for months. He is only about 1 1/2 years old so I'm confident it will happen.

And that's what I think will happen with Lucky. Before you know it, you'll realize that one day he turned in to the perfect fit for your family and the troubles seems ages ago. I admire that you insist that he's here to stay...so many people give up for lesser reasons. Bravo to you.

Hang in there, OK?

#8 ·
There have been so many things with Duke that we just thought he would never get. He really can have the attention span of a gnat! But, like Gingergoose said, one day we suddenly realized, hey, he hasn't done that in a while and he is so much better at this, etc. It really is just this slow realization that he is finally catching on to things that we never thought he would.

Now, he still has his moments and he will still steal a sock right out from under your nose. But I think that's what is part of his playful personality.

I'm sure Lucky will get there, too. Sounds like his attention span is short, too. Just keep working at it and I think the idea to have hubby take him to training is a great one. The two of you together, switching off, could be very helpful. That's what we did with Duke. Both went and some nights I held the leash and some nights Dave did. That way, he learned to listen to both of us. Good luck!

#9 ·
Thanks everyone - 1. for letting me vent w/o thinking I am terrible for feeling this way sometimes and 2. for the good advice!

That is a great idea about hubby doing obedience!

Denise, thank you! Yes, misery does love company. What you are said actually reminded me of Toby. DH wasn't in love with Toby at first either. Now, he loves Toby. I am sure the same will happen with Lucky in time.

Cassie, Duke and Lucky would have fun together!! LOL!!

This is what I really love about this board - there is nothing that someone here hasn't been through. It is just always so helpful to know that I am not the only one who has been here!!

Today, well, so far Lucky has been an angel!! Go figure! Of course, the day isn't over yet!!!

#10 ·
Originally Posted By: Toby & LuckyWe tried obedience classes. He doesn't do anything unless it's for a treat no matter how many times we have done it. He won't poop unless all the planets are in allignment (there can be absolutely no distractions, noise, rain, or before midnight). He is scared of the dryer no matter how many times he is in the utility room with the dryer going. We have the same schedule EVERYDAY yet he still doesn't understand the concept of having to poop before being let out in the house. I could go on all day.
Hm. Maybe Lucky isn't so stupid after all. He probably knows when you have a treat and when you don't. If you're giving him commands and have no treats I wonder if he decides not to bother with the tricks. He may be dumber than a box of rocks, but he's much more perceptive than we are.

FWIW, I think it is helpful to remember that beagles can be very stubborn dogs. In my limited experience with training dogs I've found that often times sheer force of will, with the reward of affection, can work just as well or better than treats. For example, Chica learned that In the house means that she should go into the house not because she got a treat for it. Treats were completely ineffective because she was too distracted by scents in the yard. No, she learned it because we would say it to her repeatedly after we moved her off a scent and either herded or dragged her back into the house. After a while, she got the point.

Teaching Chica when it was a good time to do her business was a similar affair. If she wouldn't do her business because she was distracted I would get the leash. I'd hook her to it and let her go no farther than three or four feet away from me. After a while she had that area all sniffed out and when she'd pull on the leash to go farther I would pull her back and tell her Go potty. After a while, she got the point and would do her business.

Keep in mind that Chica was usually rewarded with affection after she preformed the desired action whether she did it on her own volition or not. Also, by after a while I'm talking about up to a year of constantly reinforcing this. After all, beagles can be very stubborn. I can't tell you how many times I've stood out in the pouring rain under an umbrella to get this dog to do her business.

Another point regarding training a dog to take care of business is to use biology to your advantage. It is a normal body response in many animals to deficate after eating. When new food comes in, the body is more willing to dump the old stuff. It was always easier to get Chica to poop right after feeding her first thing in the morning, but early on I would still have to use the leash as descibed earlier.

Originally Posted By: Toby & LuckyO.k. I am through venting and off to tell Lucky to be quiet for the 10th time in 10 minutes!
I remember those days. Chica quieted down a lot when she got a little older. Maybe yours will to.

#11 ·
All I can say is, dont give up on Lucky. You have been given some good advice. We all have our frustrating moments. Our two ex research beagles are full of hang ups, and Susi still has her moments of peeing in the house- She is nearly 8. We forgive her her accidents, and if you could see her and Snoopy curled up on the couch right now, you wold know why.
Vent as much as you like here, thats what we are here for, and good luck with your pack.

#12 ·
I haven't been here for a few days and see I'm not the only one needing to vent (or dealing with a dog peeing in the bed, Gingergoose...)!

And your description about Lucky does sound a lot like Moose when we first got him - he was 1 1/2 so I didn't expect puppy behaviour, and so I was sure that he had ADD or was the stupidest dog in the history of the world because he really couldn't focus on anything for more than a minute. He was sooooo different than Booker, who seemed to have every moment of her day planned out before she even got up in the morning. We described walking him like flying a kite - he would race to the end of the leash, become airborne for a bit, then crash back down to the ground and start again. He would go absolutely beserk when he saw another dog - and all the training to get him to listen to us and respond to us seemed to go in one ear and immediately out the other. And if he ever got loose he would take off like he was making his big escape again... one time he got loose in a park and it took FOUR HOURS to get him back - we could see him the whole time but he was having too much fun chasing squirrels to come even when we went and got a hot dog from the concession stand and waved it at him.

Then one day he just seemed to grow up - to the point now where he is the easiest of the three to walk because he doesn't have an agenda like the girls - he is just happy to be with us and go with us wherever we go. So there is hope even when it doesn't seem like it - and in the meantime we have each other here to give support when we need it!

#14 ·
Originally Posted By: BookerMooseI haven't been here for a few days and see I'm not the only one needing to vent (or dealing with a dog peeing in the bed, Gingergoose...)!

And your description about Lucky does sound a lot like Moose when we first got him - he was 1 1/2 so I didn't expect puppy behaviour, and so I was sure that he had ADD or was the stupidest dog in the history of the world because he really couldn't focus on anything for more than a minute. He was sooooo different than Booker, who seemed to have every moment of her day planned out before she even got up in the morning. We described walking him like flying a kite - he would race to the end of the leash, become airborne for a bit, then crash back down to the ground and start again. He would go absolutely beserk when he saw another dog - and all the training to get him to listen to us and respond to us seemed to go in one ear and immediately out the other. And if he ever got loose he would take off like he was making his big escape again... one time he got loose in a park and it took FOUR HOURS to get him back - we could see him the whole time but he was having too much fun chasing squirrels to come even when we went and got a hot dog from the concession stand and waved it at him.

Then one day he just seemed to grow up - to the point now where he is the easiest of the three to walk because he doesn't have an agenda like the girls - he is just happy to be with us and go with us wherever we go. So there is hope even when it doesn't seem like it - and in the meantime we have each other here to give support when we need it!

LOL!! Thank you for this!! Moose and Lucky may be long lost brothers!!!

#15 ·
I hit the reply to post button and turned around to see Molly chewing on one of my shoes. Sigh.

I just wanted to say I can commiserate with you on the whole needing the planets to align thing. We live in a graduate student housing apartment, and when we got Molly we knew it was going to be a lot of work but there are a ton of families around here with dogs so she would have lots of friends. Sometimes that is the problem. If there are any distractions, she will not poop. I am finding myself avoiding people when I talk Molly out for her walks and sometimes we can be out for an hour before she remembers why she was asking to go out in the first place. We have tried the method where we take her to the same spot, and where we take her out for a few minutes and then back in and then back out until she goes and then praise her like crazy. No effect. My husband helps with this job so it isn't so bad. Anyway, good luck.

#17 ·
I'm feeling pain too! Henry is an absolute angel, but he has the most expensive taste I've ever seen. He almost ate my cell phone in 5 minutes 3 days ago! That phone has been lying around since we got him a year ago, and he's never shown the slightest bit of interest! ARGH! About 2 weeks after I adopted him, he ate (I do mean ate) a pair of Antonio Melani heels. Otherwise I can't complain but I figured I'd jump into the misery loves company boat. Luckily my phone still works, and I'm supposed to be getting a new one for my 21st in November. Sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.