Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barry and I have struggled with taking care of Abby for the past few months. We knew owning a dog was a big decision and I can truly say that we thought we were ready. However, we had no idea how hard it would be owning a beagle…or, in our case, Abby. There are many issues we have with Abby, but mostly it just boils down to the fact that we aren’t able to give her the time and attention she needs and deserves. I've always known that all dogs need time and attention, but realize now that some dogs need more than others…Abby is the latter.

I’m not normally a quitter and we both really, truly love Abby. I have shed many, many tears about this and have prayed until I don’t know how to pray anymore.

We just can’t handle her anymore. She needs a big, fenced yard to play in and maybe even another dog (or animal) to play with. She also needs an owner/family that can devote lots of time to training her and molding her into the wonderful dog she can be. We can’t provide that, and the stress is getting to all of us.

More than anything, I want her to be happy and loved. She is loved by us, but none of us are happy.

I have no clue how we are going to find, what I consider to be, the ‘perfect’ home for Abby…but I’m going to try. Unfortunately around here, everyone hunts with their beagles and the dogs are forced to live in small kennels outside and never get any human interaction. I will NOT let that happen to Abby. We have asked some friends if they could take Abby but no one is able to. I have also looked into beagle rescues, but there aren't any in our area. At this point, I don’t know what to do…

Please, please don’t think bad of me/us. I can assure you, we only want what is best for Abby.

I know most of you here at My BW are appalled at this post. Believe me, I am appalled at myself, too. But, Abby DESERVES better than we can give her.

In case any of you can help me find a home for her, please let me tell you about Abby:

She is a very loving, active puppy who loves other dogs. We have a cat that she would like to be friends with, but the cat wants nothing to do with this ball of energy. :) She loves kids but because we don't have children, doesn't understand yet how to be easy with them...she's still a little rambunctious. But, she is very smart and is a quick learner. She knows several tricks and has known most of them since she was just a few months old.

Abby is crate and house trained, although she still does have accidents every now and then. She is a smart little puppy that needs an owner/family that can give her lots of time and training to mold her into the wonderful dog she can be. Currently, we have to keep her crated most of the day (we both work all day, but one of us always comes home at lunch to let her out). We do not have a fenced-in yard and Abby loves to be outside. She would be a great inside/outside dog.

I figured this forum is the best place to get some advice on finding Abby a new home. I am willing to drive her somewhere (within a reasonable distance - 6 hours or so from Prestonsburg, KY) if the right people want her.

You all have been a great help with my other posts and questions on here...please, please help me and Abby...

Kelly

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kelly, just wanted to let you know that my heart is with you and your family during this time.

We just went through the EXACT same thing with JoJo, and were able to rehome her on Friday. Lots of tears and prayers later, we know we did the right thing by her...which was the most important.

Whether others are appalled or not, you're doing what you know is best in your heart and you head. Hugs to you all and Abby!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally Posted By: tntnjmomKelly, just wanted to let you know that my heart is with you and your family during this time.
Whether others are appalled or not, you're doing what you know is best in your heart and you head. Hugs to you all and Abby!
My thoughts exactly, you have Abby's best interest at heart.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much for these replies. Your encouragement and support mean alot to me.

I do think we have found someone to take Abby. It's a aunt-of-a-friend situation, but we trust the friend. The family had a beagle that died a couple of months ago. They swore they wouldn't get another dog/beagle but when our friend called to see if they were interested in Abby...they were. :) Nothing is set in stone yet, but I'm sure hoping this is it.

We have prayed alot about this, so we are just waiting for God to close this door if it's not for the best.

Thank you, again!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I'm new here. I am looking to adopt a Beagle. I have a Great Dane who is 7 and a Jack Russell/Beagle mix who is 11/2 years old and would love a friend to play with. I am a full time mom and my dogs are treated as good as I treat my children. If there was a way to get your puppy, I would love to adopt her.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We gave Abby to her new family this afternoon. The mom was super nice and very sensitive to me, knowing that this was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Abby gave her kisses immediately and I watched the lady's heart melt. :) She and Abby played together a little and then I loved on Abby one last time and left (the 3 of us were together about 30 minutes total as I let Abby get to know her knew owner while I told her everything I could possibly think of that they would want/need to know about Abby). We know this is God's will...the peace we both have 'passes all understanding'. But, it's still really hard; we both worry about Abby's confusion in this new situation.

More than anything right now, we need your prayers – us & Abby & the new family – the adjustment for all of us is going to be difficult.

Thank you all, again, for everything. I made sure the new owner knew about this forum...hopefully she will join up soon!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi there
My heart goes out to you - you have not made an easy decision, but you have had Abbey's best interest at heart. An acquaintance of mine had to do the same thing with her baby and in order to help her cope, she told herself that she had sent her baby off to college - a thought that might help you.
Abbey will always love you and you will always love Abbey!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm glad everything is working out for all. And having peace is definitely a good sign. I'm sure Abby will be confused for a short time, but she'll be okay.

When my parents adopted one of their labs, the first few days Lexi would sit at the window and cry. It was really sad, I think she missed the lady who had fostered her. But after that she did just fine.
The lady even came to visit her several times and you could tell that Lexi remembered her, but when she left Lexi had no problems, she was home.

That would be great if Abby's new owner joined the forum, that way you and the rest of us can continue to see Abby and her new life.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Originally Posted By: Crazy DaisyThat would be great if Abby's new owner joined the forum, that way you and the rest of us can continue to see Abby and her new life.
That is a grand idea.

Abby 01/15/09 please mention this forum and hope they join and keep everyone up to date on Abby.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3pence - thank you so much for that thought about college - I LOVE it!!! (And, don't worry about spelling her name wrong!!) :)

Crazy Daisy - thank you for letting me know about your parents' adoption of their Lab. If it only took a few days for their dog, then Abby should be well past that stage today! :)

Crazy Daisy & JAISP Tech - I did give the new owners the info about BW...I'm hoping they do join up!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: I talked to Abby's new Momma this week by phone. She and her family LOVE my Abby-girl and are spoiling her rotten...and I am so glad. :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That is wonderful news! I am sure that made you feel better

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More than anyone could imagine!!! :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Kelly, Absolutely wonderful news that Abby is doing so well and now your mind is at ease!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts