Our Beagle World Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cathy, I am reading all this too, with tears in my eyes. I dont know what i will be like, but i can only imagine. you will just know when the time has come. i am thinking of you, god bless, Toni & Meggie

x

·
Registered
443 Posts
cobismon-

Yes, I know very well what you are dealing with. In February of 2007, I finally made the decision to help my little YorkiPoo, Oreo over the Bridge. I had got him when he was almost 3 months old - when he went to the Bridge, Oreo was a little over 16 years old - yes, a long time. He was also the first dog that I myself made the last trip to the vet with. All the years that I had dogs when I was growing up and then even then when I was a young adult - my dad was there and took the dog to the vet. My dad died in 2002 and besides, since then I have become more involved with dogs. I believe I owed Oreo that much - to be with him that last time. I knew the day was coming - Oreo was still eating and getting around pretty well altho arthritis had already set in. Oreo was also almost totally blind, going deaf and incontinent towards the end. I still fought it altho eventually, when I would look at him - I could see there was nothing there. I was holding on to him for my own selfishness. In my head, I knew it was time but my heart said no. Finally, what really helped me the most to make that final decision - and I should have thought about it myself because I have thought this way towards my own eventual death - but it took someone else to say it - WOULD I WANT TO LIVE THE WAY OREO WAS? This question made that final decision so much easier altho it is still hard. Shiloh had grown up with Oreo around - I still find myself, every so often, starting to call Shiloh by Oreo's name - even tho they looked nothing alike.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this very painful time. I have been through this before, the last times with my beagles Callie and Razzle. Callie had terminal bladder cancer and Razzle was in heart failure and also had kidney disease. I had to have them pts within 6 mos. of each other. Altough it was heartbreaking to lose them, I chose to think of it as the last loving thing I could do for my beloved pets.I wanted to make sure they were relieved of their pain. I also wanted their last momnet on earth to be of me holding them and me telling them how loved they were. It was very difficult, but I wouldn't do it any differently when faced with this decision again. I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Chipper's condition. Do what you can to keep him happy and comfortable, and enjoy the time you have left together.

Yes, its going to be hard to let him go, but it is the last act of kindness we give to our furry ones.

We will keep you both in our thoughts.

Let me also say there is no rules prohibiting this discussion (and shouldn't be). Its something we all will have to go through one day. We all can use the support of friends during that time. So please, feel free to say what you need to say and ask.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
We have seniour dogs in "spades" if I count my "extended family"!
Goober turned 16 last saturday & Zima lost most of her tail in
2006 to a tumor and about the same time poor Rufus had some prostate problems! All 3are doing great now but Zima lost most of her tail! The last passing that I had to assist in was with
poor MR! A malamute mix dog that my neighbors adopted as a stray.
He was the "range boss" in his time & Goober became the alpha
hound after his passing! But thanks to goobers tutalage, Homerwill likely become the "big dawg" in the future!!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, Son #1 will be home tomorrow. Son #2, found a friend who does pottery to make an urn for Chipper. We have Chip on cortizone, which seems to have perked him up, which if you didn't know how sick he was, you'd believe he was okay. This makes it very hard to know that we are going to be putting him down next week. Because without the med, he would be horribly sick. How do we justify even to ourselves, that we are doing this for him, not for our own comfort. Chip is very sick and we are only trying to do the best thing possible.

Question for those who have two dogs. My second son came home, and said that many people at his work who have two dogs said that it was very important for our second one to smell or see Chipper after he is dead. This means a second trip to the funeral home, with our youngest beagle...I haven't asked anyone about even doing this yet, so I don't know if it's possible. But if you had one you had to put down, did you allow the other to see, smell, etc that one? And why or why not? I am conflicted here, because I think one trip is going to be enough for me and mine, yet if it means making Chip's passing easier on Cobi, then by all means I will do it...but I just would like some in put.

thanks again.... you are all angels.

Cathy

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Cathy,

I don't know if this is an option for you but...

The vet came to our house when it was time for both of our dogs. So besides us, the other dogs were there and curious as to what was going on and what had happened. We let them stay in the room, too.

In our case, I don't think that "smelling" our baby's body helped any but then they were there to see them once they were gone. There absence was noticed much more and they were tuned in to our sadness afterwards, too.

Is having the vet come to the house then taking Chip with him an option? For us, it made a horrible situation a little more tolerable knowing that Olivia (and Jake before her) were at home on their favorite sofa and not at the vet office.

How are you doing?

~Denise

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Denise, I suggested that to my men and they just didn't think they could handle knowing that Chip died in whatever bedroom he did.
They really wanted it to be away from our home so that they had a place to come and mourn rather than knowing that the "deed" was done on Mom's bed. As for Cobi, he was an abused pup, and is very protective, I think it would be a problem having a strange male in the house, and then having that male take Chipper out. So I am thinking they are going to go along with the vet's office....and the funeral home coming to get Chip. My youngest son is a little less emotional about these things, (maybe) and he says he can take Cobi over there....I don't either, that's why I asked.....but he and I did come to the conclusion that this is the week, and we should probably do it while my oldest is home....Although Chipper is acting pretty spry, it's the meds...if you look in his eyes he is tired and and just wants to rest. He just has to hang on till Chris gets here.

Thanks for the suggestions ---- and your encouragement.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Cathy-

I was the one that took my little Oreo to the vet - actually, my sis took us there but I held Oreo on my lap the entire time until it was done. I also wanted to take Shiloh along to say his final goodbyes to Oreo - dogs can sense these things and Shiloh was also able to see the vet take Oreo away when it was all over. There was only once or twice after that, that Shiloh looked around for Oreo.

Cathy - everyone will be here for you. I pray that the Lord will hold you and your family in His hands as you face this difficult time. I know what you are saying about Chip seeming more spry with the meds making the decision more difficult; Oreo was eating well and getting around slow but did get around ok. But as you said - there is that look in the eyes that says I'm ready - I'm tired and that is what helped me decide it was time to do the truly best act of kindness for Oreo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cathy,

I feel your pain. I had to put a 16-year-old kitty down on March 25, and 10 days later had to put a rescue lab mix down unexpectedly. I will light a candle and pray that your Chip crosses the Rainbow Bridge, and waits for you with joy in his heart...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
This is so heartbreaking. I had to put my 13 y/o cat Jasper (Jazzy) down about 4 years ago and it tore me up. I know the labs are nearing that poing, at 12 & 13. I have seen a huge decline, especially in Roscoe in the past 6 months. He is having a hard time getting around and I've noticed some dementia creeping in.

It's such a hard thing to do that I have asked some close family members to make sure Dave and I recognize when it's time.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time. I pray your memories of Chip will comfort you in your grief.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
We just got beack from the vet for an xray. Chip's stomach is filled with water, his intestines are empty (where is all that food I've been feeding him?) Anyway, Good news bad news thing, no we are still filled with cancer, but he is too perky to put down. OMG....is it nasty to say I can't take this???? He has increased his lasix to get rid of the extra water....and we are just supposed to wait. My heart is breaking, but, there is nothing to do. He is in no pain, is quite lively for a dog who is terminally ill. But, yet, how do I know. I understand, that "I will know"....but help me not to prolong something for my own sake.

Thanks again for all your support and answers and heartfelt message of your own experiences. It's so good to be in a place where animals are considered part of the family, rarther than just animals.

God bless you all, great and small.

Cathy J

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think being that you are still asking, "how will I know?" means that he isn't ready yet.

You love him, you'll know when he isn't "too perky" or "in no pain"

This is aweful for you and I think about you alot. He is so lucky to have someone that loves him as much as you do.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you have a good relationship with your vet, maybe ask him to tell you when he thinks it's time.

As long as he isn't in pain, though, don't beat yourself up. Just enjoy the time you have together.

You and Chipper contine to be in my thoughts.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Cathy,

Chipper will tell you when its time. You don't have to force it, and shouldn't. If Chipper is happy and in no pain, then let him be. Its his gift to you, more time together. Don't waste that gift.

As for where Chipper should be when the time comes, in your loving arms. It doesn't matter where you are. The other dogs will know what is going on by sensing your feelings.

This is how it will be for my two when their time comes (if the decision is left to me).

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Be it dog or cat, They know when a family member passes on...
"Spot" the cat missed Snapper as much as we did & would still
check to see if he was in his dog bed until Pop adopted Duke!
"As my friend Ted will say, just because they have fur & four
legs, it does not mean that they are stupid"! Poor Rufus used
to howl every evening after Duke died until he was paired with
Nibbler. (I HATE the thought of it, but when Goobers time is up)
Poor Homer will be in for a tough time as will I!!! But thank
goodness Goober is back in health for now & continues to raise
the bar for elder beags as he is now 16 yrs & 2 weks old &
counting! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Redneck: I dont' know what to do about Cobi, our youngest, there are times he plays the Alpha dog game, and then there are times when we think he doesn't care. He has never not had a pack, so it will be interesting. So I am planning for his going to the funeral home, to "sniff" and "smell" and "see" Chipper...they are going to allow us that priviledge. But after that, people keep asking about a "new" puppy....hey, Chip's not dead yet.....it's like asking a widow, if she is getting a new husband before the old one is in the grave. Come on folks, have a little compassion!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I am sorry, but I assumed that your beag was of "standard health" for his/her age! Goober has blessed me with 3 yrs & counting over their normal lifespan! Goober is now nearly blind & deaf, but to this day , he refuses to use the "doggie steps"
to get on my bed! Goober is the toughest beag our family has ever known!
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Chipper is the one who has cancer, he is 10 years old, almost 11. For an "80" year old man he is doing as well as can be expected.
Cobi, is only 7 and is a little terror...but we love him all the same. My dh built steps for Chipper when he hurt his back, but Cobi is the one who uses it....just to sit on while we are getting dressed in the AM or to look out the window....nope Chip won't be caught dead on it....oops bad choice of words, sorry. They are stubborn little critters. :eek:)

Cathy

21 - 40 of 66 Posts